Overweight and Pregnant

Options
I know being overweight/obese while pregnant puts my son and I at high risk for many complications. I need help staying on track, eating right and adjusting my lifestyle to help him and I the next 4.5 months. Any moms been in my shoes before? What did you do? Post pregnancy will be important for me too. Any help and advice is appreciated!

Replies

• clynnhamm
    clynnhamm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is this your first child? I've had three, and I'm currently pregnant with my fourth. The smallest I've ever been during a delivery was 240, and I had no complications, blood pressure was good, no gestational diabetes. I'm currently at 280, and still have good bloodwork and bp, but I al worried that the excess weight is going to present a problem. I've started using mfp again to at least track what I'm eating. Some days, it's off the charts, some days I'm right on track. I would just try to be mindful of what you're eating, but don't be afraid to indulge in your cravings now and then. I actually lost 10 pounds during my last pregnancy, but I was working 40 hours a week on my feet and eating pretty well.
    After this baby (which is certainly my last)I really want to drop a lot of weight and focus on my health.

Good luck! Feel free to add me. :)
  • flisscitythin
    flisscitythin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was right on the line with my pregnancy between overweight and obese. I really struggled with it, best advice I can give you is to focus on the right kinds of food, think whole foods cooked at home, with protein and fiber and if you can cut out sugar. After the baby was born was maybe even harder for me than whilst pregnant, being sleep deprived and not having time to plan etc. My advice would be to figure out a few staple meals that are easy for you to make and involve ingredients that you have in the kitchen on a regular basis, try them before you give birth so that they become your go-to quick easy healthy meals when you are pressed for time, energy and motivation in those first few months. Good luck with your journey x
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I was overweight for both of my pregnancies. I was put in as high risk for both, but for an issue unrelated to my weight. With my first, I was pretty much the "eating for two" person. I ate whatever, whenever, and in copious amounts. I gained 45 lbs, had a 6 lb 7oz baby and that's pretty much the only weight I lost. I continued eating a ton and over the next 6 years I continues to gain until I hit 211.6 lbs (I'm 5'2), so I was very obese at that point. Finally got my act together and lost 57 lbs, got down to 155 lbs and we TTC'd for #2. Much different scenario (though high risk still, but again, unrelated). I tracked my calories, yes. But I definitely ate a good amount and if I went over my goal, I went over. I gained 24.6 lbs with her and she was 7 lbs at birth. It took me 17 weeks post-partum to lose the pregnancy weight and I've continued to lose since. She's now 15 months.

My advice is to track your calories, be mindful, allow extra calories for growing baby, and if you go over, so be it. Don't stress out about it. Try to stay active. Even if it's just walking around the block, it will help. I took a prenatal swim class with both of my kids and it really really helps with sciatic pain and just overall feeling better. I think it also helps with delivery. It may be unrelated, but my first was a 7 hour labor and my 2nd was 4. I swear the swim class helps with delivery and if I ever have a 3rd, you can be sure I'll be back in the pool for it. Other than being active, try not to stress out about your weight gain. I wish I had been alot less hard on myself and had just relaxed about it.