Tips on curving hunger?

Options
I feel like I'm hungry 100% of the time unless I way too much crap. What can I do. I don't want to over indulge but I don't want to be hungry all the time

Replies

• anne_driessen
    anne_driessen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water is a great start (like 2-3 liters a day) and warm drinks (like a cup of green tea).
    It might sound a bit counter intuitive but bulky-foods help (so load your plate with vegetables or fruit) you will feel fuller longer...also look at the back of the label, high fiber (and protein) foods will help you feel fuller for longer.
    Also, I dont know how much you normally eat and how long youve been on a diet, but adjusting to eating less can take some time..

Good luck :)
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's mind over matter.. If you don't mind it don't matter
  • anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It depends on the quality of foods you are consuming. Foods that are high in protein and fiber help tremendously with curving hunger. I found that drinking more water also helps ease your appetite by keeping your stomach full and hydrated. Another thing to consider is how large of a deficit are you running? It's possible you may be in too deep of a caloric deficit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Often it's habit. It's a bit uncomfortable breaking the habit, but it goes away.

This assumes that you eat a reasonable number of calories and have tried experimenting with foods that many find satiating, like increasing protein, fiber, higher volume foods (low cal vegetables), that kind of thing.

Some find they do better cutting carbs (or highly refined carbs) some, also.

What worked for me was eating according to a standard schedule (for me, three meals, maybe a planned snack depending on my workout schedule) and getting out of the habit of thinking of food at other times.
  • KimOrley
    KimOrley Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you're not drinking plenty of water you may be dehydrated, it is very common to confuse thirst for hunger. Try drinking a glass of water when you first feel hungry and waiting 15 minutes before eating, you'll then know which it is.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm hungry 100% of the time unless I way too much crap. What can I do. I don't want to over indulge but I don't want to be hungry all the time

A couple ideas.......

What is your daily calorie limit? An aggressive weekly weight loss goal will result in a 1200 net calorie limit. This number is appropriate for senior and/or very petite ladies. Average height, younger ladies will struggle.

Protein, fat &/or fiber are filling. This is a different combination for everyone. Some people will stay full of fat free protein, not me. Some people will stay full of fat free fiberous veggies, not me. My meals and snacks combine at least 2 of the 3 (protein, fat, fiber).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    How does one curve hunger? I've always seen hunger as a rigid straight line.

:smiley: Curve, curb.....

Are you really hungry all the time? What is your daily calorie goal, and are you meeting it? Do you exercise, and if so, are you logging it and eating at least a portion of those cals back?

If you are doing all of those things, and assuming your calorie goal is not too low, then as the other have said - protein, fat and fiber, and plenty of water help keep me feeling full and satisfied.
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    having breakfast at about 10 or 11 works for me .. easier for me to do cause I'm studying my masters and at the moment most days I don't have to be in lectures early .. sometimes I do take my breakfast into uni and eat it though lol.. I'm on 1500 today from 3 meals and also burnt about 1000 calories at the gym and don't feel hungry and its 10 pm .. still have dinner to eat but I may skip it :)

try tapering down as well once upon a time 2500 was not enough but eat the right foods and taper down each week and it may work for you better

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Great advice on this thread. Can't add any more tips 'cause they've already been posted.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The best way to curve hunger is to place it in a strong gravitational field, such as near the event horizon of a black hole. General relativity will guarantee hunger gets curved.

I hope you've found this helpful. Good luck!
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Drink loads of water or if you're a bit sweet toothed get sugar free squash.
    I also have cupboards and fridge full of low calorie snacks like low cal popcorn, baked crisps, cereal bars, carrot sticks, peppers, salad etc. Which is a good may to bridge meals without using a load of calories.

Maybe you calorie goal is too low if you're always hungry?
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    It would help us to give you advice if we could see your diary. We don't know how many calories you are eating, and what kind of calories. If you're eating 1000 per day, yeah, you're going to be hungry. If you are eating 2500 calories a day and you're hungry, there is an issue with the quality of your food. Unless you are super into lifting and need a higher caloric intake to keep up.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    PS....And its curbing.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Getting enough fat, protein, and fiber can help. Try hard to stay away from added sugars, juices, refined grain. You might also consider a trip to your doctor. Prediabetes/diabetes, uncontrolled, can cause an insatiable hunger and thirst.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.

1-5 are key for me.

On these hunger threads, I mostly see that people are hungry because of:

# 1 - calorie goals that are too aggressive
    # 2 - not eating enough protein
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Push the water. Eat more protein. Coffee.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.

1-5 are key for me.

On these hunger threads, I mostly see that people are hungry because of:

# 1 - calorie goals that are too aggressive
    # 2 - not eating enough protein

Which is why I listed those as #s 1 & 2. If 6 & 7 don't apply to you, great! I'm.glad you found what works for you. But they apply to plenty of others and I've always tried to keep this list as generic and all-inclusive as I can.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?