I need help with pre-workout and post-workout meals

Options
I do strength training twice a week w/ a trainer. I have been trying out different things as far as what to eat before and after.....but would like some tips. Everything I look at on the internet says eat protein/carb/ ratio mix etc..this and that.. and I am so confused. Can some help me with a list of actual FOOD. For example, eat an apple or yogurt or etc....before workout. And eat a chicken sandwich, salad or whatever post workout.

Normally I eat a yogurt w/ honey and granola pre-workout, but I notice I have been getting nauseous. So today I tried an apple and that worked out great! Then normally I have a protein bar post work right after my shower, then get a salad or chicken sandwich when I get back to work. Just want more suggestions. Thanks SO much!!!

Replies

• willow3eb
    willow3eb Posts: 161 Member
    Options
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I drink a whey protein shake about 40 minutes before my workout. After my workout I go home and immediately have dinner, a protein (normally chicken) and a carb (normally whole grain couscous) and some veggies.

If I work out in the AM I do the same thing with a pre-protein shake and then I have eggs and whole grain toast when I get home.
  • mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    Options
    oatmeal is good to have before you workout, it's the body's natural fuel souce. Banana's are also good. The body can burn it faster. After a workout, I always have a protein shake right after.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    carbs or carbs/protein pre workout and post workout protein/carbs then 30 minutes later a full meal
  • janetmae
    janetmae Posts: 2
    Options
    I would try something more towards pasta for your pre-work out meal. I have noticed that I don't get nauseous if I eat something like that. Then after the work out I try to drink a gatorade and piece of fruit.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I usually have some chicken/fish/lean beef about 1.5 hours before I workout, then right after I get home have either another protein heavy meal, or a protein drink.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bump for later~
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have either a banana with 1tsp of organic peanut butter or a mini whole wheat banana muffin with 1tsp of peanut butter before my workout. If I'm doing something like a 5K then I'll have a cliff bar before.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I don't like working out soon after a meal, so I'll eat some nuts or raisins (or both!) about half an hour before I hit the gym. And I'm a big fan of chocolate milk straight after :smile:

I often crave carbs about an hour or so later, so I'll maybe have some wholewheat pasta with tuna or chicken.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My fav thing is half of a pb sandwich (1Tbs natural pb, 1 tsp fruit preserves, 1 slice whole wheat bread) before the work out. After, I like a berry protein smoothie (1/2 cup berry of your choice, 1 cup skim milk, 1 scoop protein powder). I got these combos out of the Insanity nutrition guide. Works for me. :)
  • tristahenry
    tristahenry Posts: 175
    Options
    Before a heavy cardio workout, I eat a piece of fruit and either a cheese stick or handful of nuts about an hour before. If I'm doing weights, circuits or light cardio, I cut that in half with whatever I feel like eating. After my workouts I'm a huge fan of chocolate milk (it's my reward for doing it and it's good for you). I've heard that unless you're doing workouts beyond the average person, you only need to eat your next meal as you typically would - no need to carb-load or anything like that. Don't know how true that is but it works for me. Also, it is also important that I eat every few hours to maintain my blood sugar levels to avoid getting sick.