A Bad Gall Bladder Was the Reason I Wasn't Losing the Weight

Options

Replies

• lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Ummmm I had my gall bladder removed a while back ( due to side affects for medication). Hasn't made the slightest bit of difference weight wise. But I guess every one is different, so congrats on how things have worked out for you xxx
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have an 11mm gallstone. I knew for a while I had one, and it was likely caused by my binge eating of high fatty foods over a number of years. I finally had a horrendous attack at 4am one morning. I thought I was going to die, the pain was so bad. It lasted for 4 hours. I had another milder attack due to eating 2 jars of peanut butter, this one left me feeling incredibly sick, on strong painkillers and generally awful for a week.

It was after that, that I had an ultrasound and got my diagnosis. However, I haven't had my gallbladder removed and neither I or my GP see any reason for me to do so.
    Gallbladder removal isn't always a good thing and can leave the patient with a variety of unwelcome side effects. I know what causes the attacks and how to avoid them. It's a simply a matter of not stressing my gallbladder (in my case) by drowning it in fat.

I love my poor abused little gallbladder, he's been through a lot with me over the years! It's time to look after us both :flowerforyou:

Having a gallstone has never had any bearing whatsoever on my weight loss. What I eat has.
  • LadyGisborne
    LadyGisborne Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My gallbladder is full of stones (the doctor who did the ultrasound said it is unable to store bile any more) and it hasn't stopped me from losing lots of weight in the past.
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sorry; but this is ridiculous. NO problem with your gall bladder is going to keep you from losing weight. In fact, fatty intolerance, nausea, vomiting, bloating and pain from gallbladder problems might actually keep you from eating a bit.

Ditto, calories in vs calories out. Your gall bladder had nothing to do with it.

This. I had mine out in May, and prior to that lost weight just fine; if anything I avoided trigger foods more... It sounds like you're eating healthier now, so I'm pretty sure that's why you're seeing more weight loss. Even if you were exercising a lot, you know what they say, can't out-exercise a bad diet. Glad you've got it out though and things are going well, I feel so much better with mine out aside from some digestive issues, but it's better than the pain I was in!
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    double posted somehow, woops.
  • sheilavives1
    sheilavives1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Those of you saying the gallbladder has nothing to do with weight gain are seriously misinformed. The type of stones, the size of stones and where they are putting pressure or possibly blocking bile flow all weigh into the matter. A gallstone blocking the neck of the gallbladder will indeed cause problems processing fats and sugars, can block the hepatic duct, and gallstone problems can cause a significant increase in estrogen, thus affecting weight and also increasing breast size (a common problem with men with this condition). Instead of speaking out of ignorance and "what you want to believe" or to "attack someone" I suggest you learn to do some real research into scientific journals. Even the doctors are ignorant about gallbladder symptoms and post-surgery effects.
  • sltrooien
    sltrooien Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had issues with GAINing weight after they had their gallbladder removed?
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Something similar happened to me almost 10 years ago. I started having gallbladder problems when I was 16, I told the doctors it was my gallbladder and they refused to do any testing because I was to young. It took them 3 years to finally test and I had to have emergency surgery because of how bad my gallbladder was. I was rushed into a second emergency surgery the next day because I had a gallstone lodged in my bile duct that they didn't notice.

I didn't notice any struggle with my weight during the 3 years, I actually dropped a lot of weight and was hospitalized several times for dehydration because anytime I had any amount of fat in foods I would throw up and have severe pains. I pretty much lived on vegetable broth. It was miserable.
  • Jelenajelenajelenajelena
    Options
    Beet juice is amaaaaaazinggggg.
  • dbienz
    dbienz Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever gained weight after having their gallbladder removed? I was steadily losing weight, doing really well in my routine and since my surgery 4 months ago I have gained 10 of my 30 pounds back :disappointed: I am back to my normal food and gym routine and still GAINING weight.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    dbienz wrote: »
    Has anyone ever gained weight after having their gallbladder removed? I was steadily losing weight, doing really well in my routine and since my surgery 4 months ago I have gained 10 of my 30 pounds back :disappointed: I am back to my normal food and gym routine and still GAINING weight.

Eat less?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    after going through an emergency gall bladder surgery (completely removed) in December 2010 I have lost 22 lbs. I had to completely change my diet.

Works almost every single time.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Those of you saying the gallbladder has nothing to do with weight gain are seriously misinformed. The type of stones, the size of stones and where they are putting pressure or possibly blocking bile flow all weigh into the matter. A gallstone blocking the neck of the gallbladder will indeed cause problems processing fats and sugars, can block the hepatic duct, and gallstone problems can cause a significant increase in estrogen, thus affecting weight and also increasing breast size (a common problem with men with this condition). Instead of speaking out of ignorance and "what you want to believe" or to "attack someone" I suggest you learn to do some real research into scientific journals. Even the doctors are ignorant about gallbladder symptoms and post-surgery effects.

Wrongly interpreted Google medicine FTW!

Your post flies in the face of the basic principles of human physiology.

However, I'd love to here an in depth rational as to how any of what you posted references to the gain of bodyfat or the inability to lose bodyfat.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    By what mechanism does the gall bladder (either functioning properly or not) affect reduced utilization or increased consumption that would lead to weight gain (or prevent weight loss) in an environment where calories consumed would otherwise be less than calories utilized?

I just don't understand the theory behind this.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing the weight!!! I mean I was taking the time to exercise daily at least 1 hour a day Monday - Friday, watched was I eating, and I was still having difficulty losing the weight I thought would melt away like butter in a hot pan!!!! Let me back pedal just a bit. I was having digestional problems, abdominal cramping, and bloating that I chalked up to "women issues". Little did I know I would be rushed to the emergency room all the while thinking I had another kidney infection, after a bit of poking and prodding, I found out I had gall stones the size of a golf ball (literally) and several smaller stones that was causing me all these health issues. It wasn't until I was informed of the purpose of the gall bladder and what it actually does. I know realize everything I was eating wasn't being processed nor broken down to be digested. Long story short, after going through an emergency gall bladder surgery (completely removed) in December 2010 I have lost 22 lbs. I had to completely change my diet. My new diet consists of fish, chicken breasts (only) No red meats for now anyhow, fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, 2% reduced fat milk, low-fat yogurts, raw beet juice (which is DISGUSTING), fresh carrot juices, and anything else I throw into my juicer, no processed sugars including flavored coffee creamers, no fried foods, nothing high in cholesterol, and tons, and tons of water!!!

It's sad to say, that had my body not forced me into the emergency room, I'd continue to struggle with my weight, still eat somewhat healthy, however, still enjoy the cakes, cookies, pastries, etc.., and continue to work out and struggle with losing weight. I lost this weight without stepping foot into the gym (WHICH I AM NOT SUGGESTING EVERYONE GO GET THEIR GALL BLADDERS REMOVED) but I'm so excited to return because I feel like a brand new person, and I know once I get back in the gym, my results will be remarkable.

I just wanted to share this story, because a lot of people have this problem and don't even know it!!!! I'm just very thankful that I was able to take care of it before my gall bladder burst which would've caused even more damage, possibly irreparable damage to my body!!! Hope this story can help someone...

p.s. Did you know that gall bladder surgery is the 2nd most common surgery in the U.S. next to appendicitis?

You lost weight because you changed your dietary intake.

Everything you ate was being processed and digested. If it wasn't then you hit upon the single greatest diet miracle known to man. The ability to not use the calorific energy stored jn food.

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You completely changed your diet.

That's why you started losing weight. It was not due to the gall bladder.

Congrats on getting your diet to work for you.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I LOST weight when my gallbladder was inflamed. No appetite, pain when eating anything fatty - it was not a fun way to lose weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Holy necro.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Gallstones can also be the result of yoyo dieting which would explain why there are so many more women with this problem then men. Today, my sister-in-law (she is an ultrasound tech) found 4 stones in my gallbladder. I do not have insurance, and I'm wondering if this counts as a pre-existing condition (probably does) as I want this thing out of me like yesterday. I only wish they would do like a 2 for 1 combo meaning gallbladder removal with a bit of lipo or breast aug.lol

@hannahweisergerike in case you're still out there, health insurance companies can’t refuse to cover you or charge you more just because you have a “pre-existing condition”.

Pre-Existing Conditions

Under the Affordable Care Act, health insurance companies can’t refuse to cover you or charge you more just because you have a “pre-existing condition” — that is, a health problem you had before the date that new health coverage starts. They also can’t charge women more than men.

These rules went into effect for plan years beginning on or after January 1, 2014.

Read more: http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/about-the-law/pre-existing-conditions/index.html