Recurring Jock Itch?

Options
Hey everyone,

Since I've started exercising, I've started getting quite bad jock itch on a recurring basis every month or so after the previous one clearing up. It starts just itching badly, then starts feeling painful, then the *kitten* goes leathery then it sheds.

Does anyone have any advice on how to mitigate the chances of it recurring from experience? I have great personal hygiene down there so I don't know what else to do. I'm also using Lamisil spray periodically which is designed for it.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Forget the spray along with the flying leap after the blast. You have to address any athlete's foot at the same time because its really the same thing just in a different place. Changing in locker rooms also makes athlete's foot recurrence a problem too. What works for me is after bathing use a hair dryer on the "underside" to make sure you are completely dry, towel dry doesn't do as well down there. This procedure also looks goofy, to say the least, in a locker room setting. Then apply lotrimin gel to the area and continue as needed. Once eliminated you should be able to go back to normal but I would spray your shoes daily after taking them off and spray your feet after contact with locker room floor.
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I agree with him
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I know this is personal, but are you a tighty whitey or boxer guy? You might have to go loose fitting boxers when you're not exercising to let the boys breath.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    And - I'd make sure it's just some variation of athlete's foot/jock itch.

i.e.- go get tested.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Keep it as dry as possible (keep it trim too). Make sure you are drying top to bottom. Wipe down benches before and after etc. Also, it may seem like common sense, but wash your hands really well when you are done at the gym.

I had it so bad a few years back, it kept recurring for me too. I switched to an antifungal cream instead of the spray and started taking probiotics. Took a few months but I managed to stop the cycle.
  • TheLongshot
    TheLongshot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Apologies guys, I completely forgot about opening this thread!

@thefuzz1290 Boxers, not tight ones though

@JoRocka Yeah good call, didn't realise there was a test for it

@dsmpunk Yeah that's what I tend to do, but I'll take the rest on board.

@rsclause Thanks for the advice, I'll follow up with it
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I was told in grade school (health class) that boys should put their socks on before their underwear. If you have it on your feet and your feet touch your underwear you are going to spread it to your privates. So socks on first helps prevent spreading it.

I'm not a guy, but it seems to make sense to me.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    if it's recurring with treatment, it's probably not just jock itch
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Old spice red zone right on the business and powder

Case closed
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The real culprit is moisture so you have to eliminate it
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Shower after sweaty workouts and dry area properly, hair drier method works best jut make sure it's not in the hottest setting. If it's recurrent though, you might want to see a doctor, you might need a fluticazone pill if it's systemic.
    Also, when having yeast infections, reduce your alcohol sugars and carb intake as it feeds the yeast...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Apologies guys, I completely forgot about opening this thread!

@thefuzz1290 Boxers, not tight ones though

@JoRocka Yeah good call, didn't realise there was a test for it

@dsmpunk Yeah that's what I tend to do, but I'll take the rest on board.

@rsclause Thanks for the advice, I'll follow up with it

I wasn't talking about a test for jock itch my friend.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I had it for a while, then came out in the worst infection of athletes foot. Blisters on the bottom of my foot that were too damn painful to scratch. The doc prescribed some cream and it was gone after a week and a half. I'd been struggling for nearly a year with reoccurrence.