lunch ideas for work

Options
Msaip
Msaip Posts: 482 Member
Currently I do sandwiches on wheat bread or a healthy choice meal.....Trying to watch my sodium....does anyone know of any chicken or turkey options? Should I use the deli? How would I log that...probably oz

Replies

• HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    They sell low sodium lunchmeats at the store, I beleive. I also do a bag of those steam vegetables....easy to prepare, low on cals.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Watch the pre-packaged lunch meat for high fructose corn syrup or sugar in general, you may be able to find a brand that doesn't have it but my husband and I have struggled to find some that wasn't awful.

I agree on the frozen veggies, I do those multiple days during the week... my favorite are the Pictsweet Sugar Snap Peas. Him and I will split a bag between us, and I will bring that and a Smart Ones to work. I would recommend those but you're watching your sodium intake... Green Giant and a brand called Valley Fresh do these things called 'Steamers' which also have rice in with the veggies so it's more filling. The Voila frozen bags are good too, but they're quite large so split those.
  • Beaukitty
    Beaukitty Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like the Hillshire Farms Ultra Thin rotisserie chicken and the turkey. It tastes really good and I usually don't even have to use the recommended serving to make a good sandwich. I also use the sandwich thins from Arnold's and use mustard instead of mayo.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Another idea, would be to make your own lunch meat or make a salad w/ leftovers from weekend bbq's. That's what I did for lunch today...I made a salad w/ a mix of romaine & iceberg lettuce, chopped pork tenderloin, grilled asparagus, onion with some low-cal dressing.
  • massmech8111
    Options
    yep log it in oz...i found that its chaper to buy the whole breast of turkey or chicken and cook it /slice it myself...i can control whats in it as well as the sodium content to an extent...then i can slice how i want...natural grain makes a great whole wheat/mutigrain bread..
    and mission makes great carb balance wraps..
    check out my diary if you need a decent template...good luck:)
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I love to eat turkey wraps on whole wheat tortillas with lettuce, tomato, onion and avocado. So yummy. I get my turkey from the deli counter.
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hillshire farm has a low sodium option. It is also my understand that the fresh meat cut from the deli has lower sodium that the prepackage stuff.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I like Lean Cuisine's or Amy's organic light meals. There's a lot of really good frozen healthy meals.
  • doyoumeangreen
    doyoumeangreen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite standbys to bring to work:

1. Mix tuna in water, drained, and sodium free lemon pepper seasoning, a little lemon juice, and a sprinkle of Herb Ox sodium free chicken boullion together and chill for a few hours or overnight, have with Triscuits or Wasa crackers.

2. Ground turkey browned and prepared ahead of time with low sodium taco seasoning (or make your own - cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, a shake of cayenne or more if you like it spicy, sea salt and cracked black pepper) over fresh greens and romaine; strips of your favorite bell peppers, sauteed frozen corn (shake just a bit of your taco seasoning on the frozen corn in a skillet) with 1/2 oz extra sharp cheddar, shredded; 1/4-1/3 cup Newman's own mango or pineapple salsa. Extra points: cut a 1/2 whole wheat low carb tortilla into tiny strips using a pizza cutter and bake in your oven until crispy, use as a salad topper for extra crunch!

3. Roll up some Hillshire Farm low sodium chicken or turkey ultra thin deli meat around bean sprouts, a piece of string cheese, celery, lettuce, tomato, whatever you want! Spread with Laughing Cow garlic & herb cheese.

4. Pack a bunch of greens, some tomatoes, Frank's hot sauce, and light ranch dressing in a low carb tortilla, add some leftover chicken and it's a Buffalo style wrap! You can do this with caesar dressing and a little parmesan cheese for a Caesar style wrap, or BBQ sauce and a little ranch for a smoky wrap. Pack everything on the side and keep in the fridge, mix together to wrap when you're ready to eat lunch. Hot or cold either way it is delicious

5. My final standby is a canned soup by Progresso or Campbell's Select Harvest Healthy Harvest. The chicken and wild rice or brown rice options are incredible and it doesn't taste like you're eating canned soup. I bought a glass microwavable container at my local grocery store that is microwaveable with a plastic top. Heating soup in plastic containers just seems to be wrong, the glass makes it seem fresher for some reason.

ENJOY and let me know what your favorite ingredients are and I'll design a quick fun lunch for you.