Healthy Spaghetti Sauce

Options
patriciasimmons12
patriciasimmons12 Posts: 15 Member
Does anyone have a good spaghetti sauce that isn't high is sugar or carbs. I have been using a jar sauce and adding celery, bell pepper, onion, carrots, and garlic to the meat but would really like a better homemade sauce.

Replies

• AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I make a great sause by adding in all kinds of ground vegtables (done in a electric chopper/food processor) oinion, garlic , peppers, eggplant , zuccinni, yellow squash, mushrooms, a touch of olives and spinach. I saute the ground vegtables in a little olive oil before adding them, makes the sause so thick , rich and tasty but very healthy too. i add lots of itallian herbs like basil and oregano, parsely cilantro. never tried celery and carrots I prefer sticking to itallian style vegtables. they might be nice for an alfredo though, I thinking of trying that next over chicken. and noodles. I often add ground fresh celery and carrots with mayo and tuna.
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    One package of Hunt's Tomato Sauce No Salt Added Carton
    One can of Tomato Paste
    Two diced tomatoes
    One red bell pepper
    One green Bell Pepper
    ¼ cup sliced black olives
    One half cup chopped red onion
    One chopped eggplant
    One chopped yellow squash
    ¼ cup red wine
    One chopped zucchini
    ½ cup sliced Orca
    One cup sliced Portobello mushrooms
    One tablespoon minced garlic
    One table spoon Cilantro
    One table spoon Oregano
    One teaspoon Parsley
    One half teaspoon Sage
    One half teaspoon Rosemary
    One table spoon extra virgin olive oil

Put the olive oil in pot and add minced garlic heat until garlic starts to turn light brown, all of the vegetables one the red wine, cover and heat over high heat until the vegetable start to get soft.
    Then all the Tomato Sauce, paste and the diced tomatoes, along with your spices,

Bring mixture back to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 35-45 minutes.

You can also all meatballs, or ground turkey, shredded chicken to this at the same time you heat up the garlic. If you desire meat in the dish.
  • BelindaMilan
    BelindaMilan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use this one but omit the Splenda

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/marinara_sauce.html
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just don't care and use jarred. It's $1 a jar vs $6+ for homemade. Jar wins every single time, lol.
  • HellyFaye
    HellyFaye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    http://www.thugkitchen.com/spaghetti Their HOUSE MARINARA is my go to in times of pasta.
  • Lenco007
    Lenco007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and watch carbs closely. Found Prego Light Smart Traditional Italian sauce that fits into my diet. 1/2 cup has 45 calories and 11 carbs. I use it when I am in a rush. Add veggies to make it chunky and more filling.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you have a food processor, or a lot of patience, mince celery, carrot, onion, and garlic; sauté them in olive oil until they are tender, then add a can of petite diced tomatoes with their juice. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce seems thick enough. You can add herbs; I like it as is with a bit of salt and pepper. The natural sugars in the carrots provide enough sweetness for me.

It's not a traditional tomato-based sauce, but here's another, dirt simple: thinly slice 2-3 onions. Put them in a sauté pan with butter and a pinch of salt, cover, and cook on low heat until they are soft (nearly falling apart is best, about an hour of cooking). Check from time to time to make sure they aren't burning; if they are starting to brown, add some water. Then turn the heat up to medium high, remove the lid, and cook, stirring frequently, until you have a rich golden sauce. Add more salt if necessary and toss with pasta. You can put some grated cheese on if you want the flavor and protein.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If I don't have a jar and i'm not into making an all-day sauce deal, I just use a can of tomato sauce, a can of tomato paste, a can of diced italian tomatoes and some italian herbs and spices. I usually use ground beef with it and it comes out pretty tasty. Simple but a jar of sauce is cheaper and even easier.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    roasting a variety of veggies with the addition of marsala cooking wine makes a phenomenal sauce. I however do not us a recipe. I typically use diced eggplant, zucchini, onions, mushrooms and whatever is in my fridge that needs to be used up.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I use Emerils best basic red sauce recipe. It's simple and pretty easy to make. Here is the link, and the pic is the nutritional info for the whole recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/best-basic-red-sauce-recipe.html

fob1h2w61p2z.png
  • patriciasimmons12
    patriciasimmons12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for answering. I don't do sauce often but I do like meatballs and spaghetti sauce every now and then.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Here are some ideas.......I typically use a jar of Classico (not watching carbs).

http://www.skinnytaste.com/quick-marinara-sauce/

This is my go-to sauce. I double it and freeze it in jars so I always have some on hand.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Aldi has a great sauce for when you can't make your own.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Nice!

I like the simple ingredient list.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes marinara sauce no salt added in the glass jar.
    (I add my own salt and garlic powder, fat free sour cream if u want it more creamy and whatever meat or veggies you want)
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I use Emerils best basic red sauce recipe. It's simple and pretty easy to make. Here is the link, and the pic is the nutritional info for the whole recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/best-basic-red-sauce-recipe.html

fob1h2w61p2z.png

I keep Batali's basic tomato sauce on hand all the time. Very simple, few ingredients, sweetened with finely grated carrot. It's good by itself and can be easily infinitely adapted.
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options

I second the Aldi choice - Aldi in general has some pretty great foods, especially since they are carrying more and more organic and are eliminating a lot with artificial ingredients.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I just don't care and use jarred. It's $1 a jar vs $6+ for homemade. Jar wins every single time, lol.

Really? If I make homemade, it's 4-6 adult portions. Which I just freeze in individual portions.
    A jar is usually 2 adult portions.

So the prices even out, not to mention home-made is significantly healthier and tastier!