Sandwich Innards

Options
angelxsss
angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
What are some good healthy sandwich fillings? Probably natural PB with a natural sort of jelly, but I don't really have ideas past that.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ham, chicken, egg, tuna, cheese... whatever fits your macros with a bit of salad on top!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Tuna salad: Canned tuna (preferably in oil), finely chopped onions, parsley, mayo, salt, pepper.
    You can do the same with ham, and fresh red chili goes well with this.
    Smoked salmon, cream cheese, onion.
    Sardines.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I like almond butter, hummus with vegetables, or chickpea salad.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    angelxsss wrote: »
    What are some good healthy sandwich fillings? Probably natural PB with a natural sort of jelly, but I don't really have ideas past that.

PB&J tends to be a calorie bomb, and jelly is full of sugar (if you're concerned with that sort of thing).

I try to find a lean protein source, grilled chicken or deli turkey and then add veggies for volume - spinach, tomatoes, jalapenos, etc. I'll add some type of mustard for flavor.

Also - I usually go for a wrap over traditional bread.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My sandwich fixings usually involve some combination of: lunch meat (chicken, turkey, roast beef, turkey pastrami), cheese, cream cheese, tuna, egg salad, chicken salad, hummus, condiments (mustard, horseradish sauce, low cal mayo) and veggies (usually spinach & tomato).

PB&J makes a pretty high calorie sandwich. I'll make one occasionally, but it doesn't fit in my goals often.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Hummus with smoked turkey and cucumbers yum!!

Basically whatever you want, OP, as long as it fits your macros and calories for the day.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I like teryaki chicken sandwiches or grilled cheese.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I prefer unnatural peanut butter.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    I prefer unnatural peanut butter.

fu5qiivplbze.jpg
    042.jpg 51.9K
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I usually have:
    Turkey, Cheese & Light Mayo.
    Turkey, Stuffing, Whole Cranberries & Light Mayo (This is my cheapie version of Capriotti's "The Bobbie".. nom nom)
    PB&J
    PB&Banana
    Grilled cheese
    Bacon, Cheese, & Light Mayo
    Leftover Spaghetti, Provolone, Butter & Garlic Salt
    Tuna Salad
    Egg Salad & Cheese

Whatever tickles my fancy and fit in my day's calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My favorite sandwich innards are avocado, turkey breast, bacon, tomato, and lettuce.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I like my sandwiches to have as much protein as possible.

Turkey, roast beef, tuna, bacon, avocado, cheese, veggies are all good!

I personally could not do PB&J as a meal- too many calories that don't fit my macros.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Hate peanut butter, much rather have Almond butter.
    I love making wraps with loads of veggies
  • melly_fluous
    melly_fluous Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I prefer bananas with my peanut butter. :)

Right now I'm on a tuna kick, with a tiny bit of light mayo and mustard with some sodium free spices and a couple of pickles on top. I've taken to using Light Whole Grain English Muffins for this sammich as I get to sneak in 8grams of fiber.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I like fancy veggies on my sandwiches. My go-to from the sandwich shop next door is a good chunk of turkey breast and a slice of cheese for my protein based, then piles of spinach, roasted red peppers, grilled onions, and sauteed mushrooms. I'm much too lazy to cook all those up at home, so I stick to thin-sliced red onions, olives, tomatoes, more spinach, avocado, etc.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Mine are usually some sort of animal or egg, green leafy things, tomato, cucumber, avocado, cheese if i have enough cals.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Hummus with smoked turkey and cucumbers yum!!

Basically whatever you want, OP, as long as it fits your macros and calories for the day.

I had this today, except with ham instead, and it would've been better with turkey but still super super tasty :)
  • Cohalligan
    Cohalligan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I enjoy avocado sandwhiches with romaine lettuce, cucumbers, and fresh cracked black pepper.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    You want food that is generally flat, or can be made flat via a smooshing technique. For example, cake. A piece of cake can be smooshed flat, and placed into a sandwich. Or a slice of pizza is already flat, and ready to go into your sandwich. Another flat food I can think of is a pancake.

Better yet, for super-improved sandwich: take sandwich innards, put away bread. Then place innards into a bowl and consume from there with a fork.

The fork is a wonderful utensil. All hail the fork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BubWN2IVXgo&list=PLQl8zBB7bPvJVAgIhbZFBrKolmmyTkx4g