talking like others after mocking them?

Options
mrmarius
mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
does anyone find themselves doing this? For instance my mother inlaw always says foots instead of feet and i use to make fun of it but nowfind myself saying it. Same with the word much, i had a coworker that use to say murch and for a while i did too. Lol am i the only one or is this an ironic form of karma?

Replies

• mrscjwilson
    mrscjwilson Posts: 252
    Options
    My ex boyfriend would always say Vallcuum instead of Vacuum, still cracks me up!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My dad used to say son of a sea biscuit .......it sounds a lot better than the other b word. Especially since I gave up my potty mouths lol.
  • butterfly161
    Options
    I do this! My aunt used to say things weird - like Tabley for table, Ka-niffy (knife) etc. Used to think she was a bit of a dork - but I find myself saying it now to
  • DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I use to find it funny when people use to say acronym's instead of the word and guess what.......... I do it now doh lol
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I do this! My aunt used to say things weird - like Tabley for table, Ka-niffy (knife) etc. Used to think she was a bit of a dork - but I find myself saying it now to

LOL, we say ka-niff in my family. I thought we were the only ones!

I'm usually the one getting mocked, but I do notice other people saying stuff like I do after the mocking. From this side, it's kind of hilarious.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I work with some ladies that use "somewheres", "anywheres" and "seen" instead of "saw". Or "no and's, if's, or but's" when it's more commonly said as "if's, and's, or but's"
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It doesn't happen to me with words so much as accents. I live in a community with a fairly strong southern accent so whenever I go home, my family makes fun of it. But then my husband makes fun of my accent when I spend too much time around my family...it's like minnesotan meets canadian :S
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Two things...

Boo - my one guy friend was a bit of a rapper hero worship and would say it. I would tease him and before I know it I call EVERYONE that.

Iron - My ex is from Argentina and his mom had a hard time with some English words. Instead of iron she would say 'planch' which is the Spanish word. We would tease her since that one word she could never remember and just last night I said 'Want me to planch that shirt for you'
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i almost forgot this one ''i'm aint'' as in im aint gonna do it, instead od i'm not lol
  • tracey2710
    tracey2710 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When younger wee bro couldn't seem to get 's' and 'p' in the right place!
    This went on till about 8/9 years, thankfully he's grown out of it now, but what he had to put up with......:laugh:

I'd say spaghetti - he'd say pashetti
    I'd say shampoo - he'd say pamshoo

Hubby still can't manage to say turnip, he insists it's a turmit :laugh:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My uncle always counted 1-2-tree. Always the big joke, now I have to stop myself from doing it all the time
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    i have a problem saying words with an m n combination and i always say it backwards. so instead of animal i say aMiNal. i have the same problem with cinamon (ciminon) and don't even sak me to say aluminum. i just say tin foil. my husband used to always tease but he says aminal now too. we also refer to wet cat food as smooshy food. it's what out cat gets as a treat. a friend only refers to it as smooshy food and we picked it up from her.
  • blynnarnold
    blynnarnold Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do. My mother has a baby persona she used to play when I was growing up. It used to DRIVE ME CRAZY cause it was all day everyday and I thought it was stupid. But now - I find myself saying certain words the way she does. At first close freinds would look at me crazy but now even THEY say it. LOL. SMH. I hate that I talk like my mother now.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    LOL when my son was little he used to say O-GRIT for yogurt and to this day I still ask him if he wants any ogrit when I go to the store !!! LOL
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    my son says "youre getting on my nerds" and now i cant say "nerves"!
  • blackrose80
    blackrose80 Posts: 134
    Options
    My uncle always counted 1-2-tree. Always the big joke, now I have to stop myself from doing it all the time
    [/quote

Yeah, I hear that a lot. lol.. Or 1 - 2 - free.

My son used to repeat thing when he pointed at them or asked for something... He's 14 now and outgrown it but everyone else still asks for coke-coke or milk-milk. Or the mote-mote (remote control). We don't do it with Peas though.