Changing eating habits due to medications

Options
I'm having a diet crisis. Diet being normal eating habits - not specifically lose weight eating habits.

I normally eat a large breakfast and then smaller snacks/meals the rest of the day to keep from being HUNGRY. When I get hungry, I tend to over eat.

I am now taking WelChol, Synthroid, Pristiq. I have to eat in the morning, eat NOTHING for another 5 hours. Pristiq has already curbed my appetite so that I'm not eating much but I'm having a hard time dealing with the hunger.

After that 5 hours, I'm soooo starving that I am eating too much and making myself sick. I'm sure eventually I'll learn better portion control but I'm wondering what other tricks I can use to help. Obviously, eating smaller snack size meals throughout the day is no longer an option.

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    why is eating smaller snacks no longer an option? is it something about the medication?
  • PrinnyPoo
    PrinnyPoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So, I have to take Synthroid on an empty stomach. It's usually best to take it first thing in the morning and then wait 1hr to eat - BUT - I have to take WelChol twice a day so it is now the first thing in the morning med and last thing at night.

I can't take ANY medication within 4 hrs of taking the WelChol so its breakfast at 8AM and WelChol, Synthroid at 12noon, Lunch at 1PM, Pristiq with lunch, and then Dinner at 5PM with WelChol.

I can snack between lunch and dinner but I usually don't anyways. Its usually between breakfast and lunch that I have a small snack.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    That sounds really rough, I'm sorry you're dealing with that.

I'm no health professional, and I have no experience with the meds you're taking. If it's something that can't be changed according to your doctor, then here are my tips - your mileage may vary:

1. Drink all of the water. I mean, chug that stuff. If it's permissible and you like it, also try some hot tea (lots of good flavors out there with no calories).
    2. When you're feeling hunger coming on, distract yourself. Start doing a task/chore you've been putting off, read a book/article, listen to a podcast, call a friend/family member.
    3. Meditate.
    4. Experiment with different eating times. Maybe if you ate breakfast a little later or earlier than usual, you could find that sweet spot where you're not ravenous after the 5 hour waiting period.
    5. When you hit that 5 hours and it's time to eat, take your time with the meal. Make it special. Treat it like you're at your favorite, fancy restaurant and you want to savor all the food and enjoy the company of your dining partners. Even if you have to imagine all of that. :smile:

I hope you find a good strategy!
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I wonder if lots of fiber at breakfast would mean you'd be less hungry 5 hours later? I like big breakfasts, too. I tend to eat 10-15 grams of fiber at breakfast & I'm not starving at lunch time, just hungry & ready for lunch. Lots of protein at breakfast (at least a third of your daily target, if not more) will sustain your blood sugar levels better & help you not get as hungry, too.

In your situation, I'd also pre-pack lunch at breakfast time. Enter it into MFP. When it's time, eat the lunch you decided on (I suggest more protein & fiber again) & drink a couple glasses of water with lunch. Make a deal with yourself that you aren't allowed to eat anything else for 30 minutes or so. Hopefully you'll realize you feel satisfied by then.

Good luck.