Cheese alternatives?

Options

Replies

• _tannyw
    _tannyw Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think I'll start eating cheese on its own, like alot of you guys said - so i can enjoy the flavour more. I think maybe then, I'll start seeing it as a treat and stop adding unnecessary extra calories to my meals :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    _tannyw wrote: »
    I think I'll start eating cheese on its own, like alot of you guys said - so i can enjoy the flavour more. I think maybe then, I'll start seeing it as a treat and stop adding unnecessary extra calories to my meals :)

not sure if you use shredded cheese or not, but I've found that grating my own extra sharp cheddar not only creates a ton of shredded cheese for one ounce, but adds tons of flavor to everything. the already shredded stuff doesn't seem to have as much of an impact as shredding fresh from the block does
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    if your already not having high calorie dressings and nuts i can't imagine not being able to fit cheese in. When i have to eat 1200 (rare days thst i sit around and do nothing im usually at 1400-1500) I can fit in bread rice cheese and more. If that can happen on 1200 dont see a reason to cut it out or find a substitue. If you like cheese then eat it. Diets are supposed to be food you like, enjoy, and can sustain.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried goat cheese? 1 oz is 80 calories. I love it on crackers, salads, eggs, etc.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just eat the cheese! There's nothing wrong or unhealthy about it.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Make it fit into your day. I regularly eat a wedge of brie all to myself. And it fits!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I would just have the cheese. Try shaving it with a vegetable peeler this way you have more than a shred but less than a slice so you can still taste it without needing a large amount. I was actually surprised how much shaved cheese there was to an ounce when I weighed it.

Also, you might want to try some new cheeses, while you are at it.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I keep laughing cow light and babybel light on hand for cheese snacks. Low cal and pre portioned.

Oh, and like above, I love goat cheese. Toast some thin slices of bread, spread a little goat cheese on, top with homemade bruschetta. Best... Thing... Ever... yum
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    A life without cheese is a life I refuse to live.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I wouldn't be able to do it. I allow myself 30g of cheddar every day. If it fits my calories, I eat it. 30g is quite quite satisfying and is around 120 calories. I like to slice it thin.
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I try to eat cheese in moderation, but I also like to use nutritional yeast to top things like eggs, veggies, salads, etc.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I am a cheese addict. I eat it every day and it usually features in most of my meals. Don't fight it, just grate it.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    _tannyw wrote: »

not sure if you use shredded cheese or not, but I've found that grating my own extra sharp cheddar not only creates a ton of shredded cheese for one ounce, but adds tons of flavor to everything. the already shredded stuff doesn't seem to have as much of an impact as shredding fresh from the block does

As far as I know the ready grated stuff has potato starch in hence the milder flavour. I've not seen it any other way.

Back to OP: adding salsa can be an alternative low calorie salad topping. I add it some times. Or even pickled vegetables. Gherkins or pickle beetroot in salad is delicious.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    This will sound strange, but have you ever whisked Sriracha and lemon juice together? I used to make that little blend and use it for lots of stuff, including salad dressings. Mostly when I was obsessively eating as little as possible, but it was very tasty.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    Have you ever tried goat cheese? 1 oz is 80 calories. I love it on crackers, salads, eggs, etc.

This, goats cheese has a strong flavor so a little goes a long way.

soft/hard goats cheese
    feta
    blue cheese

only need about 20 grams for a sandwich/salad/omelette/whatever
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »

Oh lord. I cannot stand goat cheese. It tastes foul to me. :s
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just less cheese.

I love cheese. Can't imagine never having cheese. It's often my main source of fat in salads anyway.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just eat the cheese and log it, why give up something so delicious? If you have the calories for it, eat cheese all day.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you like feta, Sprouts has a regular fat Feta that is 70cals for 28g/1oz. They then have a fat free feta that is 30cals for 28g/1oz. You can then use a lot of the fat free kind for the amount of calories. But like most have said i just make about 28g/1oz fit in my calories almost every day. I cant give up a yummy aged sharp cheddar... :D