Exercise over medication

Options
Melissapaige1
Melissapaige1 Posts: 151 Member
edited May 2016 in Motivation and Support
I've been dealing with major depression and anxiety for a while now. I was first prescribed medication a few years ago, which caused me to gain so much weight, i felt awful. 7 months ago, I decided to get off medication, and start using diet and exercise as tools to deal with this. I've lost quite a bit of weight, and generally feel much better. But I find the only time I am happy these days, is when I am at the gym. Lately, I feel very tired, sad, and loss of appetite. I still go to the gym, and push myself to get there. Once I'm there i feel amazing. Euphoric, in a sense. But after i finish my run, or my weight training, and leave the gym, I am back to deep feelings of sadness. I end up sleeping a lot, having loss of appetite, I force myself to get small meals in...veggies here and there, a fruit...or some protein. All i want to do is go back to the gym the same day, in order to feel better, but I'm tired and drained, so I wait until the next day comes along to go back. Sorry this is so long. It just feels like my mood drops after my workout, and i am not sure what to do about this? I really don't want to go back on medication.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Medication does not make you gain, eating too much does. The medication probably made you hungrier. I wouldn't want to stay in the gym all day just to feel better.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What @queenliz99 said. I am on anti-depression medication and am losing weight. It's not the medication that makes you gain weight, it's eating more calories than you burn.

Please make an appointment to see your doctor.
  • Melissapaige1
    Melissapaige1 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I know staying at the gym all day just to feel better is not the answer. But I guess the real question is...why do i feel amazing while at the gym, and low moods and low energy when im not at the gym. Medications for depression are definitely known to cause weight gain, and slow down the metabolism as well.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The reason that those medications list "weight gain" as a side effect is because they typically increase one's appetite, which can lead a person to eat more, which causes weight gain.

It's not the pill itself. Don't be afraid of medications simply because of potential weight gain. You're releasing endorphins and adrenaline when you're working out, which make you feel good. That's why you feel good at the gym. But if you're feeling depressed the rest of the time, something is off. You need to talk to your doctor or therapist.
  • kasparkid
    kasparkid Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great to help with any psychological symptoms, but there are lots of other important areas that can affect your mood as well: sleeping the proper amount (not too little or way too much), proper diet, contact with friends and loved ones, and participating in some activities that you find pleasurable. It's better to do something to improve at least a little bit in each of these areas, setting VERY SMALL, reachable goals at first.

Medication can be great, but therapy can be at least as effective, if not more effective, than medication for both anxiety and depression (particularly in conjunction with medication, but not necessarily). There are often underlying issues that contribute to depression and/or anxiety, and therapy could help you sort through those issues if they are there.

That being said, if you find that you're doing everything right (all the above), but you're not able shake your symptoms, that may be a sign that medication may be necessary to help you get over the hump. Talking to a psychiatrist does not mean that you have to start taking medications again; it could just be you going to get information.

I wish you all the best. Depression and anxiety are invisible illnesses that can be debilitating. Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • mfmetsker
    mfmetsker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Please talk with you Dr about this. Maybe a different RX than what you were on?

If you're not on any meds now, I would Recommend 5HTP. It's a precursor to serotonin and can really help if that is why you're feeling depressed. It is a naturally occurring amino acid so there are no side effects. you can get it at whole foods or on Amazon. It is possible that if you were on an anti depressant for 7 years, you may have trouble making enough serotonin now. 5HTP could help you deal with the dips and it's very effective, I think. I went through a similar experience 6 months after dropping meds. I had to go back on bc the depression was really bad. I use 5HTP now to help me wean off. The only problem is it stops your appetite, so if you're struggling to eat now, it won't help that... But you'll feel happy:)

If that doesn't work, Wellbutrin and CELEXA are some that don't cause increased hunger.

Please talk to your dr. Asap. You don't have to live in sadness. It can be better.
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I get and understand what you're saying. I've been on several different anti-anxiety and anti-depressants over the years. I think you have to realize that the meds really didn't cause weight gain, but there are some that really do make you gain easier. But please talk with your doctor. There are several options available and combinations. I ended up going to a psychiatrist who put me on non-conventional meds that really help me get up and get going. Hang in there.