Avocados, a few questions

Options
Hello, i am aware that a pit it optimal for storing excess avocado. However, my primary question is-- if you cut a portion of the pit off, would it still help at the same level? Long story as to why i did this today, but my question if for the future. I did add lemon juice to the exposed skin.

My second question is-- how long is it ok to store plain avocado in a zipclock, i got the air out, but nonetheleas i hate to waste avocado cutting the brown off (personal preference).

Thank you!

Replies

• kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I never save one. I just split it with someone. I think it would be gross tasting later. I have seen those little plastic avocado savers. Also I think if you wrap it very tight with the plastic wrap against the cut side so no air gets to it, it helps keep it from browning. So maybe if you wrap it tight and turn upside down in fridge, it will help save it. Or find a buddy to help you eat it. :)
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    An awesome tip I learned from John Besh, and it actually works:

Submerge the half that you are saving into a cup filled with ice water for about 30-60 seconds. Take out, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and keep in the fridge with little to minimal browning for up to 48 hours. That said, I usually try to eat it within 24 hours.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Put a vitamin C tablet in the ziplock bag with the avocado half (pit included) and take as much air out as possible. The vitamin C tablet has the same critic acid in it that they put in ready made guacamole that keeps it from turning brown so fast. I have done this and it has kept the avocado green for over 24 hours.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I keep meaning to try the water trick!

I've used lemon and had it be okay up to 2 days later, although I try to always eat it the next day. Part of the pit should be adequate.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    I don't buy avocados often but I did over the weekend and only used half. What worked for me was keeping the pit in the second half and keeping the skin of the first half in tact and then putting the first half back on top of the pit and second half and then covering it in saran wrap and putting it in the fridge.

It browned but you could barely tell.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I've had luck when just sealing it air-tight with the plastic flush against the avocado.
  • alexandriamccann26
    alexandriamccann26 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had put half an avocado in the fridge yesterday evening with the pit still in it. Ziplocked it and got as much air out as possible and it was still perfect when I went to eat it tonight

• melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I don't buy avocados often but I did over the weekend and only used half. What worked for me was keeping the pit in the second half and keeping the skin of the first half in tact and then putting the first half back on top of the pit and second half and then covering it in saran wrap and putting it in the fridge.

It browned but you could barely tell.

I do this too! I also sometimes squeeze lime or lemon juice on it.
  • BethE36
    BethE36 Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have an "avocado saver" I bought from Amazon. It really helps and I like not using plastic wrap.

32c82ms4sb4r.jpeg
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Leftover avocado? What kind of savages are you? :smile:

If it's a small one, I'll usually eat all of it in one sitting! Otherwise, I keep the pit in the second half, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, refrigerate and use within 24 hours.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

If it's a small one, I'll usually eat all of it in one sitting! Otherwise, I keep the pit in the second half, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, refrigerate and use within 24 hours.

Lol I use half in a smoothie, and wrap the other half in glad wrap and leave in the fridge. They are getting way too expensive here to eat a whole one everyday.
    I'm not too keen eating browned ones on their own, but you cant taste a different if they are used in smoothies.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I store mine in a Ziploc with the pit in it and it's fine. I don't spend too much time letting out excess air or anything and that usually last several days.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I tried them in my smoothies last week. They make my breakfast smoothie so creamy !!! Dam delicious. I don't like them on their own..yucky to me.

I will put the other half in a small Ziploc container that has a tight lid, store it in the fridge until my next smoothie. I am going to try and have half an avocado in my morning smoothies every 2nd or 3rd day :)
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I find just storing cut avocado with cut onion works just fine. There's a teeny bit of browning, but nothing to worry about. And browning doesn't affect the flavor.

thekitchn.com/the-best-way-to-keep-cut-avocado-fresh-126950

FWIW, I never do any of those sweet dessert avocado things: it's always going on a sandwich or eggs or in chili or whatnot.
  • jaymie_elizabeth
    jaymie_elizabeth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I slice mine and put in the freezer on wax paper and then when they are frozen they go in a freezer bag. they stay good that way and taste just the same when you take them out. I started doing that for my daughter who loves avocado but would only eat a few slices at a time (she's 3 now, but that was her first food)...never turns brown..
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I tried them in my smoothies last week. They make my breakfast smoothie so creamy !!! Dam delicious. I don't like them on their own..yucky to me.

I will put the other half in a small Ziploc container that has a tight lid, store it in the fridge until my next smoothie. I am going to try and have half an avocado in my morning smoothies every 2nd or 3rd day :)

Yeah a lot of people replace bananas with avo's if they want less carbs/sugar to get that creamy texture. I add both :lol:
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I agree, i do this too , however if its a haass avacado it tends to brown a bit quicker but shephard avacados dont go brown as quickly.