Everyones "method" to their weight loss

Options

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    CICO is not a choice. It's a written simplification of how the human body utilizes calorific energy. You are bound by it whatever you do, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I personally take a flexible approach to my dietary intake, nothing out of bounds, concentrating more on fueling athletic performance than anything else.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm just doing CICO and working up to running a 10K
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do various IF protocols, but at the end of the day I'm eating at the correct calorie amount for my goals. I continue to eat all the foods that I like, I now just eat less of them ie. I consume less calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hey everyone! So I know everyone kind of believes in their own method of what works for them so I am just interested to hear. Do y'all prefer "clean eating", counting calories in vs. out, etc.

I am in a balancing game of first learning how to maintain calories in vs out without going hungry and then learning how to eat cleaner foods instead of all processed junk.

Most people would consider my diet to be "clean" for the most part...."clean eating" doesn't guarantee anything. I've lost weight, maintained my weight, and gained weight eating primarily whole foods and minimally processed foods. It still comes down to calories.

That said, I find it much more difficult to overeat eating the way I do...I don't log or otherwise keep a diary so I use a variety of strategies to keep my calories in check...but I'm still aware of the calories...you ultimately have to have at least some general awareness in regards to where you are calorie wise.

Also note that CICO is just the mathematical equation...anything you do diet wise comes down to CICO...CICO is just the math.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    The only thing I restrict is calories. I eat foods that I like that fit in my calorie goal for the day. That includes sweets and processed foods and alcohol. I also eat out regularly including fast food. I am learning which foods help me stay full longer so I eat more protien and less sweets than I used to, but I still eat sweets and I don't deny myself anything that I really want. I just know that if I have a donut for breakfast I will be hungry way before lunch, so I will usually pick the eggs instead. I also try to be more active. I don't exactly exercise so I can eat more, but I can eat more if I'm active so I try to at least get in a 3 mile walk every day. So far I am down 43 pounds since October 2015 and I have 17 to go. This is working for me and I feel that I will be able to stick with it forever. I lost weight years ago doing low fat and while I did lose weight I was miserable a lot of the time and sad because I couldn't eat things that I really wanted to eat and eventually I quit eating low fat and gained the weight back plus some. Now I know that I can eat what I want, I just might not be able to eat the portion sizes that I used to have.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    The only thing I restrict is calories. I eat foods that I like that fit in my calorie goal for the day. That includes sweets and processed foods and alcohol. I also eat out regularly including fast food. I am learning which foods help me stay full longer so I eat more protien and less sweets than I used to, but I still eat sweets and I don't deny myself anything that I really want. I just know that if I have a donut for breakfast I will be hungry way before lunch, so I will usually pick the eggs instead. I also try to be more active. I don't exactly exercise so I can eat more, but I can eat more if I'm active so I try to at least get in a 3 mile walk every day. So far I am down 43 pounds since October 2015 and I have 17 to go. This is working for me and I feel that I will be able to stick with it forever. I lost weight years ago doing low fat and while I did lose weight I was miserable a lot of the time and sad because I couldn't eat things that I really wanted to eat and eventually I quit eating low fat and gained the weight back plus some. Now I know that I can eat what I want, I just might not be able to eat the portion sizes that I used to have.

This too. I focus on what keeps me fuller but still have anything I want- I just track it all (my food scale is my best friend) and move more so that I can eat more. Down 19 lbs, 31 to go. I'm not on a race to lose my weight, I know this may be slow sometimes and there are weeks that I lose only 0.5 lbs, but that's okay. I want this to be sustainable and know that I'll be tracking long after I reach my goal and while I maintain. I also focus on fitness goals and keep that separate from my weight loss goal. I'm training to run 5k and soon after 10k and eventually a half-marathon.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have to cook most, if not all, of my own food. I still eat nearly everything I enjoy, I just make smarter and healthier choices. I do weigh my food and read all the nutritional values for everything. I also work out. Small stuff. I haven't joined a gym yet. I have a treadmill at home and 5 lbs weights that I work out on. I watch my step count and try to get 10,000 steps in a day. I enjoy talking walks/jogs/runs in the evenings after work now that the weather is pretty. They are usually 2 - 2.5 miles. I'd like to run a half marathon by next April.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Like someone said before, I eat super light through the day and eat most of my calories at dinner/before bed. I drink lots of water to stay full all day and rarely feel very hungry. I always go for veggies and eggs first and calorie dense things only at the end of the day if I can afford it.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ok, here's my friend:
    tall [like 6 ft], obese [l300 something pounds]. She's losing weight just by reducing portions and moving more. She does not cook and doesn't log and weigh anything she eats. Apparently that works for her and I'm so jealous as she's lost almost 20 lbs in like a month and a half.

Me:
    5'7", 158 lbs. Log and weigh everything. Bought a Fibit last summer and use that to track exercise. I'm not as successful as my friend because the exercise makes me hungry and I have a tendency to overeat. Not because I think I earned food, but because I am legit hungry even though I drink a lot of water. I also only realized that I was logging inaccurately which is why I wasn't making progress. Now I am a lot more diligent with weighing and I hope to start making progress soon.

I don't eat out often, maybe once or twice a month. My friend eats takeout or buys every meal.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm just doing CICO: that said, I do find that particular foods (though filling at the time) tend to leave me starving later rather than satiated. So for me it's a balancing act between eating filling quality foods, but also fitting in treats and snacks in moderation.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ok, here's my friend:
    tall [like 6 ft], obese [l300 something pounds]. She's losing weight just by reducing portions and moving more. She does not cook and doesn't log and weigh anything she eats. Apparently that works for her and I'm so jealous as she's lost almost 20 lbs in like a month and a half.

Me:
    5'7", 158 lbs. Log and weigh everything. Bought a Fibit last summer and use that to track exercise. I'm not as successful as my friend because the exercise makes me hungry and I have a tendency to overeat. Not because I think I earned food, but because I am legit hungry even though I drink a lot of water. I also only realized that I was logging inaccurately which is why I wasn't making progress. Now I am a lot more diligent with weighing and I hope to start making progress soon.

I don't eat out often, maybe once or twice a month. My friend eats takeout or buys every meal.

Obese people have a higher TDEE than people who aren't, she'll plateau sooner than later with that method if she doesn't change her diet.
  • RhondaJean1966
    RhondaJean1966 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do 40 carbs, higher fat and protein. I like how I am feeling. I try to keep sugar out.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Ok, here's my friend:

Me:

Obese people have a higher TDEE than people who aren't, she'll plateau sooner than later with that method if she doesn't change her diet.

Well, she said she hit a plateau and then spewed some fatlogic about having to drink kale shakes to break it. She was trying to convince me that kale has some magic metabolic boosting powers. Obviously it doesn't.

I'm more surprised is that she can lose weight without logging food or weighing it to see how much she's eating.
  • ubermofish
    Options
    Ok, here's my friend:

Me:

Well, she said she hit a plateau and then spewed some fatlogic about having to drink kale shakes to break it. She was trying to convince me that kale has some magic metabolic boosting powers. Obviously it doesn't.

I'm more surprised is that she can lose weight without logging food or weighing it to see how much she's eating.

If your estimations are correct, assuming you're both like 25, her TDEE is something like 2700 cal, and yours is more like 1800. That's like 900 calories worth of orange chicken she can eat and still lose. Keep trying to get through to her and she'll see the light eventually :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i'm a creature of routine. i most prefer to eat the same things every day. i love the predictability. having said that, mostly i eat what i personally like, without much thought to macros and the like. i do make a conscious effort to get in some veggies and protein though.

i guess the biggest thing i have going for me is really preferring to eat the same things every day. i know a lot of people can't stand doing that and really like variety with their meals, i am 100% not like that. lol.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I log everything & weigh most things, but I don't weigh everything I eat (to maintain my sanity). I purchased a scale about 6 weeks into my weight loss. While I did notice discrepancies in what I was logging prior to owning a scale, I found that most errors cancelled each other out, so now, I am more relaxed, and I trust my eyeballing when a scale isn't available. I think a scale is important, but it was not as crucial as it is made out to be on this website.
    I exercise 6 times per week and it allows me to eat more while still losing weight. This is important because on non-exercise days, my TDEE is around 1600. So, I would have to eat 1100 to lose 1 pound per week, or 1350 to lose 0.5 pounds per week. The exercise calories are crucial to my sanity.
    I forgive myself if I overeat and I don't allow it to be an excuse to initiate a downward spiral.
    I try not to follow bad habits such as: eating leftovers, having a bite of my husband's dessert at night, etc. If I am craving something, I'll save up the calories & actually eat the brownie or whatever it is, rather than pick at leftovers or have a bite of something and not feel satisfied.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    Ok, here's my friend:

Me:

If your estimations are correct, assuming you're both like 25, her TDEE is something like 2700 cal, and yours is more like 1800. That's like 900 calories worth of orange chicken she can eat and still lose. Keep trying to get through to her and she'll see the light eventually :)

We're both 32. My TDEE is 2100-2300 calories on average. Her TDEE is probably around 2700 something. She's like 350 lbs and has two jobs as a library worker.

I understand her TDEE is higher due to her height and weight. I guess I'm just slightly jealous that she's losing a lot of weight despite not logging or weighing, while I'm struggling.
  • ubermofish
    Options
    Ok, here's my friend:

Me:

We're both 32. My TDEE is 2100-2300 calories on average. Her TDEE is probably around 2700 something. She's like 350 lbs and has two jobs as a library worker.

I understand her TDEE is higher due to her height and weight. I guess I'm just slightly jealous that she's losing a lot of weight despite not logging or weighing, while I'm struggling.

But you also weigh like half of what she does! You're practically at her GW at this point lol. Keep it up, sounds like you're pretty much in the final stretch :)
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I mainly just watch calories and don't have any other rules, except that I do try to 100+ grams of protein per day. I rarely cook anything except eggs and fish and my diet consists mainly of eggs, greek yogurt, fish, protein shakes and bars, berries, apples, carrots, and bananas. And, either 2 squares of dark chocolate, some popcorn, or a skinny cow ice cream each day. Plus, vitamins since obviously I'm not eating a ton of variety here. I hate to cook above all things and I'm not a big foodie (gained weight by drinking too much) so it's been working for me for the last eight months or so. I feel like I can stick to this. I'm close to goal and my plan is to continue to eat at a deficit during the week so I can have some drinks on the weekend. We'll see how that goes.

ETA: Oh, and I exercise 5-6 days per week; currently doing Body Beast + a lot of walking.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    Ok, here's my friend:

Me:

But you also weigh like half of what she does! You're practically at her GW at this point lol. Keep it up, sounds like you're pretty much in the final stretch :)

Haha nope, haven't even really started. I'm only two pounds down. I want to lose 35 lbs total. I've done it before so I know I can do it again.