Giving Something Up Because of Weight

Options
My mom wanted to buy tickets for us to go see Journey in September. With my school schedule and work I don't get to do a lot of things like this and we connect through music so I was really excited about the idea until I found out where the concert was being held. it is at a pretty small arena that has turnstiles at the entrances, the last time we went there it was a real struggle to get through and I spent the first twenty minutes in the bathroom crying. I know I have lost a little weight and if I keep it going until the concert that I would probably have no trouble at all, but the thought of it scared me so much that I panicked and I made up an excuse why I couldn't go with her. This isn't the first time that something like this has come up, and I find myself increasingly sad and frustrated and disappointed with myself for letting things get this far and for repeatedly failing. Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    You should go to that concert if you still can, it's important for you to conquer that hurdle and it will give you something to work towards and reward yourself with, Think of how good you will feel when you breeze right through it!! Plus IT"S JOURNEY they won't tour forever!!! You deserve it.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I hear ya... my greatest love in this world is white water kayaking. Since my weight gain, I have a real difficult time just getting into the gear to go paddling. I don't have the stamina to keep up to playing in the holes with my peers... and the worst part, the put in and take outs are mostly grueling climbs for 20-30 minutes. Ironically it's how I got in shape the first time, post surgery I fell into old ways and now I'm here, desperate to get out again but too ashamed to join my friends out of fear that I will fail, not to mention showing up and having them all see that I've gained 60lbs. I keep making excuses as to why I can't come out.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    that really sucks, you should just explain the real reason why you said no and keep working towards your goal, your mum will probably help support you towards the concert (:

I once got stuck in a dress in a changing room while I was shopping with friends...that was THE worst, I was in there for like half an hour trying to wriggle out of it :L

At the end of the day if you really wanna go that's great motivation to keep working, and you just need to be confident about your body, be like yeah ok i know im big and thats hard just now but thats the whole reason I'm changing, things like this will stop happening soon enough (:
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    When I flew a few years ago, I felt squished in the seat. I recently flew again in Feb. and it was much better. I have a friend who never goes to amusement parks or movies because of worry about not fitting in the seat.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    You should go to that concert if you still can, it's important for you to conquer that hurdle and it will give you something to work towards and reward yourself with, Think of how good you will feel when you breeze right through it!! Plus IT"S JOURNEY they won't tour forever!!! You deserve it.

I agree. You should go. It will do you a lot of good.
  • trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to get tickets?? Make that a goal...something to really work for!! Think how happy you'll feel, not only that you get to see a great band with your mom, but sliding through the turnstile this time with ease!! You can do it!!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've been putting off trying to ride a roller coaster after being embarrassed when I didn't fit. I'm going to Six Flags this fall and I am going to ride a freakin roller coaster!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    It's Journey, you have to go! And if you don't, you will seriously regress it, which I think you are already doing.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - And Don't Stop...Believin! :)
  • LisaS519
    LisaS519 Posts: 4
    Options
    Don't give up a wonderful concert just because of the turnstiles!! This is a special time for you and your mom and it's not worth missing! You may have no problems getting through this time, and if you do, so what. Accept that it might be tight right now and remember that it's only a couple seconds of what will be a fantastic night. If you just deal with knowing it might be a tight squeeze you will not get upset like last time. And...if you do, like emmydoodles said, breeze right through? You will feel AWESOME!!

Have a great time at the concert and never forget. You are doing something about it, you are getting slimmer not bigger.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I agree! Make it your goal to lose a certain amount by then. I did that for a hiking trip, and if I hadn't been in the shape that I am now, there was no way I coulda done the terrain we did. I was very proud of that! (Oh, and I hit my goal to be UNDER 200 by the 23rd, and I hit it THAT morning!) So go, have fun! <3 Journey!!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Oh honey...I'm so sorry! You should call your momma back and get those tickets! Use it as a mini-goal to some new milestone, depending on how far out you are.

I travel a lot for work and I had gotten too big for seat belts last year. I have spent more than one flight facing the window with an unbuckled seat belt crying the whole flight (totally REFUSED to ask for an extender and I don't care if the plane crashed, I wasn't gonna do it).

Two weeks ago was my first flight in 6 months - and I got on the plane with a total sense of dread. But I buckled that stupid seat belt! It was tight on one flight and loose on the other, but it worked.

You will beat that freaking turnstile. I know it! And it might be tight, but you're going to get there. Don't let fear hold you back from doing something fun with your Momma.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I once wanted to plan a trip to alaska; and when i saw that dog sleeding was available, i thought, OMG amazing, i have to do that... until I saw that dog sleeding has a weight limit.. so ive never went to alaska. Then theres things like white water rafting that i think would be hella fun, but being over 300lbs wouldnt have been easy, and when all my friends were planning a trip to a bungee jumping/water slide park, I couldnt go cuz of the weight limit being 250 on the bungee jump, and i thought that on the water slides "what if im too wide?".. Ive never had a problem on a roller coaster or airplane though; but theres plenty of things in life that being overweight limits.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I avoided the mere thought of amusement parks for a few years - and at 315 pounds went on a family vacation to Disney World. I actually did research beforehand to get an idea if I'd fit in the rides or not. Happy to say I fit in everything - they are very generous! But it was uncomfortable at times. And I can remember having a hard time fitting through a turnstile thing - I can't remember where it was - might not have been at Disney at all - but I didn't let it get me down. I squeezed through and pretended it didn't happen and tried to forget about it and had fun with whatever activity it was. I say you should go to the concert!
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Years ago I went to Wonderland with my family and I was waiting in line for Top Gun with my ex, I was checking out everyone that walked off trying to see if I could find anyone bigger then me. We waited in line for over an hour when it started to rain, I ran out of that line so fast and so happy I didn't have to find out if I would fit or not!!
    I'm going to Wonderland next Monday and even though I logically know I'll fit on rides..... I can't help but worry :-(
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to get tickets?? Make that a goal...something to really work for!! Think how happy you'll feel, not only that you get to see a great band with your mom, but sliding through the turnstile this time with ease!! You can do it!!

I totally agree - you WILL feel amazing sliding through that turnstile with ease. Go for it - you CAN do it :)
  • sweetmelissa222
    sweetmelissa222 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    So, I called my mom and she was all “Maggie you’ve got to be kidding. Why didn’t you just tell me that!” She was so super supportive and sweet about it. She was overweight all throughout my childhood and lost close to 75lbs on weight watchers about seven years ago, so this struggle is something she completely understands. We decided not to go to the concert for now, but we did made plans to road trip to my brother’s and sing the greatest hits cd at the top of our lungs for as long as we can stand the awfulness that it is sure to be.

Kimdbro- it’s really cool that you used to white water kayak, I’ve never had the opportunity or the courage. I hope that you find your way back to it since it sounds like something you really miss.

Nlsalvatore- that is one of my biggest fears! Kevin Smith is one of my heroes and reading about his incident with being kicked off a plane for being overweight like traumatized me. It is always a squish, but I love to fly and travel, so that is another huge motivator for me!

Misscristie- I completely relate, it has only happened to me once, but it was pretty freaking awful. My last go round with weight loss was prior to a trip to Vegas and I worked really hard to drop a little over 30 lbs and rode the roller coaster at NYNY with no problem at all. It was one of the greatest experiences ever! I keep trying to focus on that feeling. I hope you get to have it too!

Hroush- definitely am regretting already, seriously considering buying tickets and just holding them. Worse come to worse if I don’t lose a decent amount of weight by then I can sell them off and if I do then I can surprise my mom with them.

Goodness, you guys are wonderful! Thank you all so much for the support, motivation and kindness, it really did make my day.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!