Vega One

Options
Hi Friends,
Can anyone give me some support regarding meal replacements. Currently I use Vanilla Vega One with almond milk. I'm not sure the best meal to replace with this shake or if it's really going to help with weight loss. Has anyone seen successful results? Appreciate your help.
Dani

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Almond milk does not have much protein. Maybe use soy milk if you can.
  • Cohalligan
    Cohalligan Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have started having a Vega One shake for breakfast every second day, the trainer who did my meal plan suggested 1 scoop of the protein shake, 1 cup almond milk, 1 Tbsp of good fat (I use flax seeds), and 1 cup strawberries.

ETA: I am not worried about the lack of protein in the almond milk, because for breakfast the 20g of protein from the powder is more than enough, and there is some (however little) in the flax seeds and almond milk. According to my diary this shake has 23g total protein.
  • danicaliforn1a
    danicaliforn1a Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Cohalligan are you noticing it's helping take the weight off?
  • Cohalligan
    Cohalligan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am not using it particularly for weight loss, although I am currently losing weight. I am using it because it's high in protein and vegan and I am struggling with my protein macro due to recently transitioning in February.

That being said, since I modified my diet and added 4-5 days of exercise a week. I have lost 28 lbs from February 1st to today and 14 inches in the last month. It could be a lot of things, but eating appropriate macros doesn't hurt the process.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,
    Can anyone give me some support regarding meal replacements. Currently I use Vanilla Vega One with almond milk. I'm not sure the best meal to replace with this shake or if it's really going to help with weight loss. Has anyone seen successful results? Appreciate your help.
    Dani

I haven't used Vega One, but protein shakes don't do anything special to help with weight loss. Weight loss is about eating the right amount of calories. If your meal replacement shake keeps you full on less calories than food would, it will help. If you're starving in an hour and have to eat anyway, or you end up over-eating at lunch, then it doesn't help.

I personally don't find shakes as satisfying as eating, so I only have one for breakfast when I'm rushing or not hungry enough to eat. Otherwise I have one as a snack on days I'm low on protein. But they work well for some people.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I use Vega powder and Vega One is one of my favorites. I blend it with unsweetened vanilla almond cashew milk/almond coconut milk and fruit, but I drink it in addition to a small snack for breakfast because I'm very active and need to eat a lot. There is nothing about the powder itself that will make you lose weight, as losing weight is all about eating at a deficit, but it does taste very good and I prefer it to whey protein powder. I've been drinking it the whole time I've been losing weight. I'm 5'3" and went from 139 pounds to 110 pounds for what it's worth, but it's not due to the Vega One.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 pounds while eating nothing but ordinary food.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I use Vega One, All-in-One when I'm working at 0700hrs. I'm way to lazy to get up any earlier than I have to so I throw it in my Nutribullet along with some spinach, flax, berries, and water. I weigh each of the ingredients and log them while I drink it. It keeps me feeling full until lunch time for about 300 calories, and gives me a nice macro split with plenty of fibre and iron. It's not a magical weight loss potion, it's a nice supplement to my day to help me hit my macros. I eat regular food the rest of the time.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Real food is good.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I eat probably 80/20 and vega one is a delicious part of my convenient 20%... I work two jobs so I'm up early all 7 mornings. A protein rich shake is a treat. I make a mocha shake with freshly ground coffee, ice cubes, 4 oz frozen pumpkin purée, 4 oz frozen banana chunks, one whole roasted beet cut in squares, about 12 grams of nut butter and a sprinkling of unsweetened cocoa. Probably superior to a lot of the 'real' food the haters above shovel in on a regular basis! LOL
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Cohalligan are you noticing it's helping take the weight off?

If you consume fewer calories than your body uses every day, you will lose weight. Nothing magic about Vega One. It's just a protein shake for vegans. Probably not a very effective meal substitute, there are better shakes out there. But weight loss comes down to calories, not specific foods.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Vega One will not "help take weight off". Vega One is a good quality shake for vegans, that is all. I use the chocolate one with almond milk, greek yogourt and a banana when I need a fast, nutritious lunch.

There is no such thing as a shake that will help you lose weight. Drinking it because you think you will lose weight is going to be an exercise in frustration.
  • danicaliforn1a
    danicaliforn1a Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! For me I'm great during the day but when I'm come home I'm hungry. I find I snack while I'm cooking or waiting for something in the oven. Was thinking of substituting vega one for dinner with a healthy snack.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    No just eat dinner.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I bought a bag of this stuff about two months ago - the plain vanilla protein powder for $23. How bad can vanilla be? It tastes so vile to me. I've had three scoops. I tried it plain, with double the almond milk, tried it with frozen fruit and I just can't get it in. It gets thicker and more vile as it sits, and I don't know how people drink it. I'm not a picky eater - but wow. I have a hard time getting in enough protein - even with chickpeas and beans and hemp and flax and tofu. So the bag sits on my counter taunting me as I pass. So if anyone has any bright ideas let me know.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    SwimmyD wrote: »
    I bought a bag of this stuff about two months ago - the plain vanilla protein powder for $23. How bad can vanilla be? It tastes so vile to me. I've had three scoops. I tried it plain, with double the almond milk, tried it with frozen fruit and I just can't get it in. It gets thicker and more vile as it sits, and I don't know how people drink it. I'm not a picky eater - but wow. I have a hard time getting in enough protein - even with chickpeas and beans and hemp and flax and tofu. So the bag sits on my counter taunting me as I pass. So if anyone has any bright ideas let me know.

It's probably the stevia. It took me a long time to get used to it, but I liked the macro/micro breakdown for it (I use the all-in-on though). Maybe try some cocoa powder. Make a nice chocolate/strawberry mix.
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    SwimmyD wrote: »

I'm not a fan of vanilla shakes, but a coworker gave me a bag. So I add instant decaf coffee powder and mix with almond milk. Depending on how sweet the protein mix is you might need to add additional sweetner. I don't have caffeine every day, it would probably be even better mixed with cold brewed coffee.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I use the vega sport shake which I have with blended water and a banana. Usually have this after coming home from the gym. I eat lunch an hour later...