c25k - Completed my first 5k!

Options
2»

Replies

• mitsimr
    mitsimr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ok after I commented earlier I thought "Why not now?" so I got out and did day 1. I feel very accomplished.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Get after it!
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    jayfo1994 wrote: »
    Go on! Get it! Sign up for another race now so you keep up with the motivation :#

Done and done! Just registered for a Zombie Run 5k for a few weeks from now. That'll give me just enough time to finish c25k and get some practice runs in before i put my life on the line!
  • wonko221
    Options
    Thanks for writing this post. I am having a hard time pushing through week one of C25k. Every time I do it I feel like I am not gonna make it. I actually didn't do it at all this last week because the first week was so hard for me. Your post is slightly encouraging. I am going to do it, but man, right now, it just seems impossible!! I know it's not. It just seems like it. Ughhh.... Anyway, thanks. :smile:

I'm extremely grateful for the c25k program; but i didn't do it only by following that program. I also learned a lot from these forums.
    • When i first started, i was running just below a sprint for the 60 second intervals, and gasping for air. It was also tough on my legs. Reading up on the forums encouraged me to go slow, while keeping the running gait.
    • I also had to find my right breathing pattern - breathing from my belly, i inhale deep for three steps, and exhale deep for two steps, and repeat.
    • Finally, i tended to pump my arms up and across my chest - doing that swings my shoulders a bit, which swings my hips a bit, which throws of my stride. Now that i keep my arms low and going straight forward/backward i keep my torso pointed the direction i'm running, and i feel better.

When you run into a stumbling block, post your frustration on here, or read through other people's posts. It helped me a lot to know that my struggles weren't unique, and that they are surmountable.

And in a few weeks, when you're making progress down the c25k program, be sure to take a few moments to acknowledge how far you've gotten!

• treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I did the C25K as well and ran my 1st 5k a week ago. I just signed up for a 16k race at the end of July so lots more running in my future!
  • wonko221
    Options
    mitsimr wrote: »
    Ok after I commented earlier I thought "Why not now?" so I got out and did day 1. I feel very accomplished.

Fantastic! Congratulations for starting. Be safe and have fun out there, fellow runner!