All you can eat Chinese buffet

Options
I've not been to one in over a year but will be going soon and for the first time since losing weight .how would I log it on my diary on here ?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is this going to be a free-for-all of food? If so, I would log it as a straight 1,000-3,000 calories (use your best judgment on how much you ate) using quick add.

Are you going to have a few things? If so, make your best guess of how much of each and then look up the dishes in the database. Since they will all be estimates, go with the higher calorie options.
  • barbara3213
    barbara3213 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Be careful out there. It's easy to heap 3000 calories onto a plate at Chinese buffets.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I would also go for the healthier items possible like salad, fruit, veggies and meat all with the least amount of skin and sauce. It's sodium fat calorie central in there!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Log best guess estimates of whatever you eat.
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wanted to have several different kinds of chicken but to simplify entry I eyeballed a cup at a time and called it all sesame chicken. I skipped the sweet and sour chicken and skipped the rice. Just ordering water is a huge help for me.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    We go to the local Chinese buffet once a week. I start with their tossed lettuce and tomato salad and a bit of dressing and maybe some cantaloupe. Then I have a big hunk of their salmon (if no salmon a scoop of butter chicken), a scoop (going for about a half cup) of the yellow rice) a half plate of the green beans. I log it individually and it all comes to about 450 calories. I don't eat anything that's shiny with added sugar, so that narrows down the choices quite a bit, LOL
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've not been to one in over a year but will be going soon and for the first time since losing weight .how would I log it on my diary on here ?
    Thanks in advance :)
    If its being over a year, enjoy your self
    when I eat food I have not cooked I log 800 to 1000 but if it all you can eat I would probably log 1500 to 2000
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have gone off sweet stuff so probably won't indulge in any of that or if I do it will be a tiny bit.i stay away from anything with pastry on anyway and rice .as long as my eyes aren't bigger than my belly like the first time I went to pizza hut buffet recently ha
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    We go to the local Chinese buffet once a week. I start with their tossed lettuce and tomato salad and a bit of dressing and maybe some cantaloupe. Then I have a big hunk of their salmon (if no salmon a scoop of butter chicken), a scoop (going for about a half cup) of the yellow rice) a half plate of the green beans. I log it individually and it all comes to about 450 calories. I don't eat anything that's shiny with added sugar, so that narrows down the choices quite a bit, LOL

Are you mostly going to be sociable with others who are going for the Chinese food?
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If it's the first time in a year, I'd say the heck with it and enjoy yourself. Don't worry too much about logging and just get back on track after
  • tamaraworrall
    Options
    Yeah that's my thinking
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    If you can log separately with a best guess, do that. There is a verified Chinese Buffet entry in the database.
  • tamaraworrall
    Options
    Ooh thanks il look for it
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I would also go for the healthier items possible like salad, fruit, veggies and meat all with the least amount of skin and sauce. It's sodium fat calorie central in there!

Tell me about it !! I went out for sushi last week thinking oh this is going to be great !!! I got home and logged in my sushi and the calories were very friendly on the tracker...the sodium not so much and I didn't even dunk in the soy sauce !!!!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Can I ask how that's working out?
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I love Chinese buffet. We tend to go on weekend to get more seafood selections but I also love Teriyaki chicken, broccoli beef. I could stuff about 4, 5 plates full of steam clams, crab legs. Still have room for fried rice, chow mein, and a serving of almost every single items. I can't miss several plates of sushi and if the hot grill isn't crowded, that's another can't miss item.

I generally love buffets. Mexican El Torito and Alcapulco is another favorite. Indian buffet is also up there. Now the missus thinks it's "healthier" to go to Souplanation and pig out on muffin, pizza, pastas and soups. My daughter loves Home Town Buffet.

Oh after each buffet trip the scale shows 1-5 lbs gain which I reverse within a week. It's happy eating and losing weight. LOL.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Take a small salad-size plate, not a big plate, fill it with your favorites, and then eat ONLY what's on your plate, and only go back for a second helping if something was that tasty and you're really that hungry. When we're in Vegas, I'll often finish my little plate, and then look at the line and decide that going back for seconds isn't worth being in line!
  • tamaraworrall
    Options
    I'm thinking that if I go to the local one by us at lunch time instead of going further away then it will be cheaper,less choice too to overindulge
  • tamaraworrall
    Options
    Omg I did it I went to Chinese buffet. Had 3 small portion plates and a tiny bit of pudding and I feel ok .much better experience than pizza hut.no guilt and enjoyed it