Weight loss success with recumbent bicycle??

Options
sonyatab
sonyatab Posts: 25 Member
Hey there everyone! I'm hoping to get some info on using a recumbent bicycle. From what I can find on the internet, it seems that an upright stationary bike is much better at burning calories than a recumbent bicycle, so today I tried the upright bike at the gym. The only bikes the gym has are the ones used for spinning and I can't stay on them too long because it kills my rear end!! Has anyone had any success with losing weight using the recumbent bike? If so, how long do you ride and how many times per week?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks a bunch!!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Have you tried riding a bike outdoors? Or even at a different gym? There are literally thousands of different bike saddles, some are much better than others. Also, on a bike, your weight is going to be supported by your butt, but also your legs on the pedals and your hands on the bars (and your core muscles to a lesser extent); riding outdoors changes the dynamic in a way that many people find easier on the rear. For example you don't see people standing up to pedal much in a spin class (the ones I've seen anyway) but it's kind of common to do that when you ride up a hill. And, obviously, that takes some pressure off your derriere. Pedaling hard moves some of that burden to your legs, too.

With all that said, most of the energy you spend on a bike goes to pedaling to move it, not to keeping your balance. The formula for determining calories burned on a bike relies on torque and rotational speed (cadence if you measure at the pedals), not body position.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    sonyatab wrote: »
    From what I can find on the internet, it seems that an upright stationary bike is much better at burning calories than a recumbent bicycle
    I'm curious if any of these are reliable sources, and if so, did they account for differences in fitness between those who choose an upright vs. recumbent as a stationary bike.

I ride a recumbent as my road bike, and I burn close to the same number of calories as my upright friends who weigh the same. The recumbent is slightly more aerodynamic, which gives me an edge, but that's not a factor at the gym.

For argument's sake, let's say the recumbent burned 20% fewer calories per hour. (Again, I highly doubt this.) But if the comfort factor means you'll actually USE it, you'll burn more calories total. Isn't that kind of the point?

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I ride the recumbent bike all the time due to back and knee issues. I ride 30 minutes, 4-6 times a week along with weight lifting. The amount of calories extra you might burn on a different bike won't be enough to make a difference. Also, if you want to ride that kind of bike, buy the shorts they make for them. They are padded and a little expensive but most people who spin wear them.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,147 Member
    Options
    "Has anyone had any success with losing weight using the recumbent bike?" I doubt it unless they are also eating at a deficiency. ;)
  • tgwrightsr
    tgwrightsr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your fitness level and desired goals. I use a recumbent bike and I am able to get my heart rate up to appropriate levels.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Any exercise can help with weight loss, but at best it's a component of a successful weight loss strategy.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10346155/cardio-isnt-for-fat-burning/p1
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i used one for over a year. did great with it, and lost weight faster than with lower calories alone, but of course how much one burns depends on intensity and speed. one person could burn 80 calories in half an hour with a relaxed approach whether another could burn 300 calories or more in the same amount of time by upping the level and really going for it.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    sonyatab wrote: »
    Hey there everyone! I'm hoping to get some info on using a recumbent bicycle. From what I can find on the internet, it seems that an upright stationary bike is much better at burning calories than a recumbent bicycle, so today I tried the upright bike at the gym. The only bikes the gym has are the ones used for spinning and I can't stay on them too long because it kills my rear end!! Has anyone had any success with losing weight using the recumbent bike? If so, how long do you ride and how many times per week?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks a bunch!!

Yep!! My hubby and I both use it and we can go for an hour and burn 400 calories or more. We love it because we can mindlessly read Facebook, or myfitness pal :wink: or watch tv and crank up resistance to 25 and that burns the calories. When I do that I'm not going very fast but wow does that bike make us pour sweat! My hubby is drenched too! Or lower the resistance and peddle fast. It's a great workout and we have a treadmill and elliptical and fight over our recumbent bike, lol. Ok not really fight over it but we do both like it a lot and have lost a lot of weight. 20lbs for me and 40 for him! So yes, it works! My hubby has bad plantar fasciitis and knee issues so this is great for him.
  • sonyatab
    sonyatab Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses and information which really helps me! I'm going to give it a try on the recumbent bike using a harder resistance and see what happens! Have a great week!