Burning Calories

Options
So I go to the gym and get on the elliptical for between 12-15 minutes a day.....I try to get in at least 1 mile. The machine tells me I burned 112 calories and MFP tells me 15 minutes should have burned about 150 calories.

Which one is accurate? Anyone know?

Replies

• DiyyahBloom
    Options
    I use my polar ft7 heart rate monitor and find that my calories burned are usually less. I think MFP calories burned is a bit generous.
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Options
    I would go with the one that states less...just in case!
  • allthismusic
    Options
    If you enter your weight on the machine, trust that. MFP gives an estimate, whereas the machine knows what speed at which you were working.
  • briank83
    briank83 Posts: 2
    Options
    If you enter your weight on the machine, trust that. MFP gives an estimate, whereas the machine knows what speed at which you were working.
    you can't always trust those though. i've got a professional grade elliptical at home and just did 30 minutes on it...the machine told me i burned 465 calories (and i did put in my weight) but my polar ft7 said 350.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the lower number. After I got my HRM, I found that MFP overestimates pretty much everything for me. Although machines aren't exactly known for accuracy in their measurements, it at least knows your speed, level, and HR. MFP doesn't know any of that and therefore can't use it to help determine how many calories you might have burned. Keep up the workouts!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    After getting a heart rate monitor, I too found that MFP is a bit generous - for me, at least. It's possible there's less discrepancy for some folks based on the age, gender, activity level, etc that they input when setting up their MFP profile.

I'd go with the lower just to be on the safe side.
  • Rviernow
    Rviernow Posts: 16
    Options
    my doc uses the guideline that 1 mile is 120 cals, walked, ran, uphill, downhill. 1 mile 120 cals. And my HR monitor has supported that for me within a reason. The machines I have used overstate cals and so does MFP when compared to HR monitor. That being said, I use the machine numbers to guide me as to whether I am improving time, effort, better heart rate, speed etc.. I don't look at any of the numbers as being 100% accurate.

Honestly, the machine ones are so much easier to use, no chest band, no watch sweating on my wrist, nothing small to try and read, (gotta get bifocals, lol) .