Sodium in Can's vs. Fountain

Options
Can anyone explain to me why the sodium in fountain drinks is so much less than a can of soda?

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    soooo want to know the answer to this....
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    because in any canned items, even veggies or whatever, have to have a longer shelve life then "fresh".. sodium creates the longer shelve life.
  • fattymclardass
    Options
    An 8 ounce soda in a can is ALL soda

An 8 ounce fountain drink is a lot of ice and probably about 3-4 ounces of soda
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Probably more watered down when it's in draft format hence why restaurants offer free refils.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    my answer is just a guess by the way; the other option is that fountain drinks r just a big bag of syrup mixed with straight water; where as the canned/bottled versions are already mixed. i know they add sodium to canned foods for shelve life reasons, id alone assume my first answer was correct.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It probably has something to do with the way the carbonators are calibrated. I'm sure some fountains come out as more. Fountain sodas are set up with huge bibs of the syrup and the water and carbonation is added as it's coming out of the fountain. So, yeah, I would guess it has to do with calibration.