Tired and often hungry!

Options
albali
albali Posts: 225 Member
Hi
I have been doing MFP for two months and have been doing well keeping on track. I have quite a long day, have breakfast at 6.30, lunch at 12.30 and dinner at 5. That's what I need to do to fit in with work. It's not flexible, apart from dinner could be later! So, I get really hungry between meals. I eat an apple and/or banana at 9.30 to keep me going and sometimes a couple of ryvita or more fruit at 4pm. I am still lightheaded and starving by 5! Then after I have eaten, all I want to do is sleep. Sometimes I am so tired between 5 and 7 I just lie on the sofa before tidying and exercising! I exercise virtually every day for 30 to 40 minutes. I feel great in the morning (a real change from two months ago when I struggled to get out of bed) but the engery doesn't last long! Could you recommend how I can stop being so hungry all the time and if there is anything to help with the tiredness? I am taking iron tablets, by the way, because MFP showed I wasn't getting enough iron. I eat healthy stuff, don't eat junk and try to get carbs and protein balanced. Any tips gratefully received.

Replies

• christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Try to increase your fiber to stay full longer and your protein so you have more energy. :smile:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Add more protein! You might want to think about increasing your calories as well.
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Careful with the iron supplements. Blood testing is the only accurate way to see if you have enough iron in your system. Visit your Dr and see what she/he has to say.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Eat high fiber foods and increase a little more protein. That worked for me. Good luck.
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    I pretty much have the same schedule. You can friend me to view my diary. I'm up at 5am, out the door by 6:45.

Breakfast (0630-0700)
    Snack1 (0930)
    Lunch (1130)
    Snack 2 (1400)
    Snack 3 (1600)
    Dinner (1800)

I'm usually in bed by 8 or 9. If I'm up later, I'll have a glass of chocolate milk or something like that before bed.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    lots of fiber and protein help you to feel full longer because it stays in the digestive system longer. also, i don't know what your sodium looks like, but try to keep it at your goal-- if your electrolytes are out of balance (too much or too little sodium) it can contribute to a feeling of tiredness.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    First, great job adding in the extra iron. My doctor also had me find a multi-vitamin with extra Iron because it just wasn't working for me. However, multi-grain cherrios is also a GREAT source of Iron.

Second, how much water are you drinking? How much protein are you eating in the morning and at lunch? The more protein in your diet, the more 'full' you will stay. Maybe in the afternoon, add a snack of peanut butter and celery sticks. Jiffy started making individual peanut butter portions for easy travel that have made a HUGE difference in the long run.

Third, whatever you do DONT go to sleep or lay around after eating. THIS was probably my number one NSV I was able to accomplish. It used to drive me nuts when my better half would yell (not literally) at me to get up and move around after eating. Once I stopped napping after meals, I noticed more of a difference, which has been in the last month. This month is also the month I lost the most weight. My ticker shows 3 pounds lost, but I've actually lost 5 (forgot to change my start amount) this month since making those changes.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin everyday to keep my iron on track. Also, for me when i exercise int eh a.m. I am tired much earlier in the day. I find drinking water helps me stay alert more as well snacking on healthy stuff throughout the day. Stay away from foods that cause you to crash, that was my issue before I started to change my eating habits.
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I had a look at your food diary and I have a question,,, do you feel any better when you have a bigger breakfast?

And how much water are you drinking?

I think you need to add more filling snacks. I find that fruit makes me hungry. A high fibre cereal bar might be better? It's worth a try anyway?
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I had a look at your food diary and I have a question,,, do you feel any better when you have a bigger breakfast?

And how much water are you drinking?

I think you need to add more filling snacks. I find that fruit makes me hungry. A high fibre cereal bar might be better? It's worth a try anyway?
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you are able to, you might try eating an ounce of nuts somewhere in there. I don't know about the tired, but they really help with the hungry feeling.
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Like an above poster. Have your doctor test your blood. the Iron pills might be the thing to make you more hungry. Eats more protein, and fiber and whole grain foods. Try taking a multivitamin instead of the iron pills if you really are watching what type of vitamins going into your body, it helps.
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    you probably need more fiber and protien in your snacks. also, try and drink a lot of water, and maybe take a nap....sometimes your body misenterprets being thirsty with being hungry. and sometimes being hungry with being tired.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Carbs will help with energy. Protein and fiber will help you stay fuller for longer. Try steel cut oats for breakfast.
  • Jessy1967
    Jessy1967 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am also up at 5 am , If you like you can add me as a friend. I been on MFP for about 2 weeks now. I been eatting alot of protein and fiber. Try to have good breakfast.and, drink about 8-10 glass of water each day. I been drinking alot of water and it seems to help. I have lost about 4 pounds .
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i would eat every 3 hours to keep your metabolism up. snacks around 300 calories, meals under 500 and you should eat more protien, it will keep you fuller longer. if youre eating the right foods, you shouldnt be hungry