Second week and I've gained a pound

Options
Well hello, Im brand new to this and have never really dieted before, and I was just wondering whether it was normal to gain a bit of weight early on.

I was really happy when I lost roughly 3 pounds in one week, and Ive really cut back on food and am a lot more active and there have only been a few days when Ive just gone over my limit (by about 30 calories). So I suppose that eating too littlecould be a reason or is it too early to tell? Id love to know what you guys think and your experiences :)

Much love and Good Luck everyone!

Replies

• Miffy23
    Miffy23 Posts: 4
    Options
    When you start doing more exercise, you began building up muscle which weighs more than fat so it is better to measure round your waist and hips and back and keep a track that way.

Also, how much water are you drinking hun? I've been struggling to lose those last few inches and someone suggested it might be water retention instead - I drink nowhere near the recommended 2 and a half litres and I've been told that when you work out your body holds on to more water. Try upping your water intake if it's not high and see what happens........I've only just started it today so hoping to see a little bit of a difference in a couple of weeks!

Good luck babe! xx
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Likely just water retention. Should help to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/160943-why-the-scale-lies

and this one, just for good measure lol -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
  • beckybee91
    Options
    Actually the water thing sounds like it might be it, I love coffee and tea too much, best have a glass of water now! thank you very much for that!!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    We cant really say its your diet without seeing your diary but big culprits are water retention from a new, more vigorous excercise routine. Your body panicking because you slashed ALOT of calories all at once while working out mroe, fluid retention from too much sodium (you can track that in your diary) lack of proper hydration causing fluid retention.

Muscle does NOT weigh more then fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is more compact the fat (1lb of lead is smaller then 1lb of feathers) so measuring and taking pictures will also help alot on your journey
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    When you start doing more exercise, you began building up muscle which weighs more than fat so it is better to measure round your waist and hips and back and keep a track that way.

Also, how much water are you drinking hun? I've been struggling to lose those last few inches and someone suggested it might be water retention instead - I drink nowhere near the recommended 2 and a half litres and I've been told that when you work out your body holds on to more water. Try upping your water intake if it's not high and see what happens........I've only just started it today so hoping to see a little bit of a difference in a couple of weeks!

Good luck babe! xx

IT IS NOT MUSCLE GAIN, you cannot gain 2 pounds of muscle that quickly.. if that were the case I would be a HUGE bodybuilder.... Muscle by volume weighs more than fat. while you are not gaining muscle, you may have water retention which will cause that show on the scale...