Burnout Blues

Options
Ok guys, need a little motivational help -

My wedding is about 3.5 weeks away and I am exhausted. I'm busy all the time and I'm just feeling generally tired. I'm still trying to eat semi-appropriately and I hope to lose another 5 lbs or so before the wedding, but I can't seem to force myself to exercise. I really do need it - I've learned that exercising and focusing on strength training are what works best for my body - but with everything going on, it's hard to find the energy to work out. I just ordered a sun therapy lamp to help me with my sleep cycle and energy, but any other tips on finding the motivation to workout even when you're feeling tired?

Replies

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    What is eating semi-appropriately?
    Maybe focus on eating really healthy, and get enough protein. Also, do you drink ice tea, coffee? Maybe have some a little while before you work out and it will give you a boost of energy.
    Also, you need to listen to your body. Are you worn down mentally, physically or both? Sounds like both to me and if that's the case, you need serious rest. Forget about working out for now. Focus on eating really healthy and getting rest. You want to be fresh and mentally happy for your wedding. And, if you watch what you are eating and logging your calories, you will likely lose weight before your wedding without exercise. Take a break girl. You are getting married. Forget everything else and just focus on being rested and happy.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Working out while tired is really difficult. Maybe give yourself a few days off and if you can and clear your schedule for sleep. Then just get out there and go for it. You're almost there! You are going to be amazing!
  • rochellecole63
    rochellecole63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you overwhelming yourself? It sounds like it. When i feel overwhelmed i give myself permission to do a little bit of what i need to do. Instead of 30 minutes of walking, or whatever i congratulate myself for say 10 minutes. And apply that to everything in my life. A little of a good thing is better than nothing. Focusing on the good things we do rather than on what we think we should have done oftentimes gives us the motivation to continue. Hang in there. You can do this.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    First. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. If you are still calorie counting, maybe now is the time to put yourself in maintenance (go into your setting and change your goal to maintain) until the wedding and honeymoon are over. You should be enjoying this time, not agonizing over diet and exercise. Plenty of time after the happy occasion for that.
  • katiefox21
    katiefox21 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is exactly what I'm going through right now too. i'm getting married over MDW and I'm feeling stressed and exhausted. I've tried to really crack down on my eating, but I'm so tired that it's killing my motivation and willpower. I've been exercising a lot and it seems to take up my whole evenings after work, leaving no time for wedding planning and getting all the last minute things done. I'm having a really hard time finding a balance right now. I've been beating myself up over not being disciplined enough in my eating and exercising, because looking good on my wedding day should be the biggest motivation ever, but I'm just totally burnt out. I don't have much advice to offer but I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    For me, it's about sleep. I don't need a whole lot (I get about 6 hours a night), but when I get much less, my body wants to make up for it by wanting to eat more. You might want to consider worrying a bit less about exercising right now and focus on getting more rest. Sleep - it does a body good.
  • katiefox21
    katiefox21 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @Eaglesfanintn That's really good advice. I've definitely noticed that the same thing happens to me when I don't get enough sleep. Sleep makes a huge difference! It's my favorite :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If I'd known what women suffer to get prepared for marriage I would have chosen to be a monk.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    We don't all suffer. I eloped. Hawaii is like the Vegas of the pacific. I would never have survived the big wedding between my mom, hubs mom, my step mom, and my ex step mom....too many moms would have been trying to run the show. I hired a wedding planner online for $600. He got my officiant, photographer, videographer, limo, champagne, music and flowers all taken care of. Then we got hitched on a beautiful, secluded beach near Waikiki.

When we got home I had already booked a hotel for a rockin party without any mom interference. Sent the marriage announcement/party invite from waikiki. I've never regretted it.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    As your Internet advice, I suggest two days off from the gym, extra sleep, and a day or two at maintenence. Listen to your body after that, if it needs a bit more time give it. Up to a week off shouldn't undo any of your great progess.
  • jflanaganasl
    jflanaganasl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not suffering lol. I've had a lot of fun planning and most everything is done! But in the last month I've had close family in the hospital, a car accident, and been sick twice. When you put all that on top of the planning, I think I've just been worn out. But I like some of the suggestions here to just find some time to relax. My sun lamp arrived today, so I'll let you all know how it goes. I'd love to become a morning person so I can fit in more workout time!