Skincare and sweating

Options
I’ve been increasing my running time and am sweating a lot more. Especially now that the temps are in the 80’s when I go and it will get even hotter in the summer months. Typically I use Dr. Bonners Tea Tree soap to bath with but I am noticing breakouts on my back and chest area. Now I’m trying Neutrogena deep clean but it can get expensive. I have started rinsing my feet with Peroxide to keep them clean. Please let me know what skincare you recommend using after exercising. Thanks!

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Wearing breathable fabrics really helps. If you are experiencing breakouts then that means your skin is holding onto sweat from your clothes.

Also, being clean beforehand helps (not saying you're dirty!) as in not having on perfume or heavily scented lotion. Once you start to sweat your pores open up and all those cosmetics and chemicals can cause skin irritation.

There are also breathable, sweat-wicking socks that help, too.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get breakouts on my chest when I get really sweaty too, it's so annoying. but I've found if I shower really soon after working out, it stays under control. so I always shower at the gym right after my workout. and I personally find the most success with the most natural products I can find. I absolutely love Lush. their body washes and face washes have been wonderful for me.
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I usually run in thick cotton old t-shirts. Interesting, I bet they are too thick and not breathable enough. Also, I usually run late in the day like about 5:00 p.m. so on weekdays I shower at 7:30 a.m. then not till after I run at 6:00 p.m. That could be it. Plus on Saturday I run my errands and shower after my run. I will try showering before my run.

I will look into Lush products too. thanks for the info.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    CheatinLil wrote: »
    I usually run in thick cotton old t-shirts. Interesting, I bet they are too thick and not breathable enough. Also, I usually run late in the day like about 5:00 p.m. so on weekdays I shower at 7:30 a.m. then not till after I run at 6:00 p.m. That could be it. Plus on Saturday I run my errands and shower after my run. I will try showering before my run.

I will look into Lush products too. thanks for the info.

But then will you shower after as well? Seems like a lot of work to me. You can find cheap breathable shirts and tanks at places like Wal-Mart or Target or JCP (not sure where you live). That will help and then if you run errands afterwards bring a clean shirt to change into. That's what I used to do after my cardio sessions if I was going anywhere after the gym. If I stayed in my sweaty clothes my skin would be all red and itchy.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I noticed Dr. Bronners really dries out my skin. You are actually supposed to dilute it with a lot of water. Even then I get dry skin from it, so I have stopped using it.
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    sorry bzah10 I mistyped. I run my errands, then run, then shower. I'm disgusting after my run there is no way I would do anything after I run BUT shower :)

I do dilute my Dr. Bonners celadontea. I have oily skin and break out some. The tea tree oil helps but I think it is not strong enough after a sweaty run.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Ah, gotcha. Well, personally, I'd first try running in different tops so that your skin can breathe and cool down and dry quickly.

The products you're currently using are good ones and if they aren't a recent change then I don't think they are the culprit.

Do you wear makeup when you run? No judgement. I have mine on when I go to the gym because I go directly after work. But if sweat is running down your face then it collects on your back and chest that could be an issue. Same thing with any hair products. I keep a packet of towelettes in my gym bag and will use them around my hairline and neck or wherever immediately after a workout to clean up a bit before I get home to shower.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have a problem breaking out on my back and neck. I use my exfoliating face wash on it and that helps. I also use witch hazel to help take care of breakouts. it works a lot but I find if you use it a lot it dries skin out. so find a lotion that is good for oily skin.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Exfoliate everyday if you're getting breakouts and maybe bring makeup/baby wipes and freshen up right after your workout instead of waiting till you get all the way home to shower? Might cut down on excess getting trapped in your pores
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Peroxide on your feet can cause some irritation and skin dryness, and you REALLY don't need to use that as a general cleanser. Any particular reason why you chose to use that? It can actually cause more skin breakdown and put you at risk for injuries or infections. Seriously, soap and water and breathable fabrics for your shoes and socks are plenty. You can also wear sandals and bare feet to keep your feet aired out and dry, if you need. Also, breathable t-shirts or workout tanks are easy to find at goodwill, that's totally where I get mine at, because I'm a cheapskate and refuse to pay full price for things I'm going to soak in sweat.

I've recently bought a Biore Charcoal Bar soap for my face and chest, and find that it works really well to help with breakouts, though I usually only use it once a day, or once every other day, depending. More mild than a lot of the other stuff that's aimed to strip away oils, seems like, because when I wash my face too often, the lack of oil causes more oil production, and I end up breaking out more. I also make it a point to use baby wipes or just a paper towel with water after a workout to wipe down my face and chest, instead of always using soap, because the dryness will only increase the oil and issues with breakouts the more you use it.