Back from my follow-up doctors appointment

Options
I had my follow-up doctors appointment this morning. My doctor was happy, excited and over all proud of my hard work. It's been almost 5 months since I came in for my yearly physical and she told me I was now in the obese category on the BMI scale and she was going to agree with that finding. I was not active, it wasn't muscle mass tipping the scale, I was truly very over weight for my frame.

Today, I stepped on the scale and it said 132.8, that's just over 45 pounds gone! That puts my BMI at very healthy range.

We talked about my goal weight of 125 and how she thinks that it might be too much. She would support me getting to 129 (so I could say I was in my 120's, just a mental number) but beyond that she wouldn't be happy about.

I'm running a lot, another 7-8 pounds might be too much. I'm already wearing a size 4/6, five months ago I would never had guessed my doctor would be saying "no more, let's start looking at maintenance now".

I'm pretty exited to be in this spot right now.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Good work. You've done really well and can be very proud of yourself :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Good job! Do pay more attention to your body rather than the number on the scale. How tall are you?
  • FatMomRun
    FatMomRun Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Good job! Do pay more attention to your body rather than the number on the scale. How tall are you?

I'm 5ft 4 inches tall.

• ashleyg2688
    ashleyg2688 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I went to my doctors today as well and she told me I am overweight. I need to loose 40 pounds plus! I left feeling depressed.
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Well done!!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    FatMomRun wrote: »

I'm 5ft 4 inches tall.

That's kind of odd that she told you not to lose more, you could technically get down to 108lbs and still be in the healthy bmi range (that would be the lowest, at 18.5).

125lbs for your height shouldn't be a problem if that's what you're wanting to do-did she give you a reason for wanting you to be a higher weight?

• FatMomRun
    FatMomRun Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    FatMomRun wrote: »

I'm 5ft 4 inches tall.

That's kind of odd that she told you not to lose more, you could technically get down to 108lbs and still be in the healthy bmi range (that would be the lowest, at 18.5).

125lbs for your height shouldn't be a problem if that's what you're wanting to do-did she give you a reason for wanting you to be a higher weight?

My doctor believes in measuring my body fat percentage and using that as a guideline for my health. I tend to follow her beliefs.

As a 43 year old female and weighing 132 pounds, I have a body fat percentage of 22.46. That puts me in the lower end of the healthy scale for a physically active woman at my age. If I drop to 125, my body fat percentage would be around 18%, which would be fine for a younger female athletes, not some much for someone my age.

At 129 pounds, my body fat percentage would hover around 20%, with my training for a half marathon, that's as low as she feels I should aim to go in order to keep my body healthy, lean and still have the energy and power to reach the goals I have set for myself.