I cant poop lol

Options
I use to be regular, every morning when I woke. Now I'm day 20 doing a high protein low carb diet and I MIGHT go like every 4 days hardly anything. I don't feel bloated or anything but I'm annoyed. I like to get rid of it! I'm drinking lots of water too. Any advice?

Replies

• BriMcaffFitness
    BriMcaffFitness Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. Its like all the fiber you consume gets stuck or something lol I started drinking shakeology and havent had a problem since. Just what works for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Track Fiber. (Many people swap out Sugar or Sodium for Fiber.) Hit your Fiber goal daily.

What does "lots" of water equal in ounces?
  • brittanymora88
    brittanymora88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been going for a gallon a day
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I've been going for a gallon a day

That's lots :)

How close are you to your Fiber goal?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How's your fat intake? Many people start "eating healthy" and go all non-fat everything. Resulting in the problem you're having now.

Water and fiber are important, but so is the fat - our bodies need it for many things. I am set at 67g of fat per day, and I often go over that, and I've still reached my loss goals. Fat doesn't make us fat, too many calories do.

Avocado, raw nuts, olive and coconut oils, fish - all good sources. A little butter on veggies, bread, in the oatmeal doesn't hurt either. :wink:
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    First, make sure you're eating enough. That was my problem when I first started (1200 is not). If you are, then you need to up your fiber. Start at 20 g, and if thats not enough, up it. Throughout time I have upped to 30, and it works beautifully. Psyllium husk powder also helps a LOT. It's just a ground up root that is pure fiber. Also keep up with the water so that all the new fiber doesn't make it worse :)
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. Its like all the fiber you consume gets stuck or something lol I started drinking shakeology and havent had a problem since. Just what works for me.

constipation is actually because of lack of fiber. When you move to a low carb high protein diet the first nutrient that suffers is fiber - for which over 90% of american's are deficient. Protein, meat, has zero fiber. Lower carbs can often result in a reduction of veggies, fruits, beans and grains which are all excellent sources of fiber.

I would highly suggest tracking your intake and aim for no less than 30 grams a day. That will almost certainly resolve your bathroom concerns. :smiley:
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I had that problem on low carb diet as well, making sure to get enough fats helped, as did a Metamucil supplement. I definitely wasn't getting enough fiber at the time.
  • Bluegum27
    Bluegum27 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I've resolved the issue by taking Metamucil Psyllium husk capsules - 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening - with a big glass of water. Happy again.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Increase fats and oils.
    How much protein do you have a day?
  • orion_81
    orion_81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How are your stress levels?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Magnesium, could it be the problem?
    Track it for a couple of days by writing down the amounts.
    Google the food followed by the words nutrition self.com
    Many of us are not getting enough.
    If you are a victim, you can take a small dose at night (can make you sleepy).
    Magnesium will make you regular.
    Foods high in magnesium tend to be beans (high carb) and dark leafy greens.
    I wonder if you are just not eating these foods.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Magnesium before bed on an empty tum always helps me.
    20g of psyllium husk powder a day also keeps me regular as clockwork
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Magnesium, could it be the problem?
    Track it for a couple of days by writing down the amounts.
    Google the food followed by the words nutrition self.com
    Many of us are not getting enough.
    If you are a victim, you can take a small dose at night (can make you sleepy).
    Magnesium will make you regular.
    Foods high in magnesium tend to be beans (high carb) and dark leafy greens.
    I wonder if you are just not eating these foods.

I was looking for a rhyme, ;) but yes, magnesium can help, supplements, milk of magnesia or in your food.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Fiber, fat, water...magnesium and a probiotic...
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    I wonder how many pounds you'll lose when that brick of a turd does decide to drop out?

Omg that's hilarious!

I wondered the same thing about myself recently. I need to rake a closer look at my fiber and fat intake.
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I won't do low carb for this very reason! It feels awful to me! I second Metamucil and I eat a slice of Ezekiel bread everyday
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    I wonder how many pounds you'll lose when that brick of a turd does decide to drop out?

So gross lmao!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When my diet was low in calories and high in protein my stool were compact, dry little nuggets. Not enough volume to keep things moving. I was averaging one movement every other day. When I complained to my dietician about it she suggested this might be my "new normal". As I increased my volume (high fiber carbs like air popped popcorn) I went back to one movement a day.

I think you could go with more volume or as long as you aren't passing a monster stool, accept this as your "new normal".
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Try taking a stool softener, like docusate sodium, along with the fiber. The docusate sodium will not cause dependence like a laxative (which you might try as a one-time treatment) and you can take it every day, until your body adjusts to your new diet.

Btw, you should not go more than 3 days without a bowel movement.