How Come I have so many calories?

Options
Why do I have over 1700 calories to use a day? I feel like that is way to much!!!!! I see everyone else have like 1200 calories..and here i am with close to 2000!!!
Someone please help

Replies

• dannidoc
    dannidoc Posts: 19
    Options
    how tall are u? and do u exercise alot?
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    How much are you set to lose a week? What is your daily activity level? Both of these effect your current caloric need level (even to lose) and (not to be offensive see my stats) but its also likely youre at a higher weight then those you are comparing your caloric intake too. And is the 1700 with or without additional excercise?
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    It is based off of the data you entered when you joined MFP. It will depend on your age, starting weight, height, weight loss goals and your activity level.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Did you set it to 1lb a week?
    I did that and I get the impression everyone else went for the max they could do lol.

I just wanted to take it slow and get to eat more (but I've lost overally more than 2lbs a week anyway so far, but later on I know its gonna slow much more).
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I am given 1720 calories a day. When I exercise (which is almost daily), I get 2200 or more calories to eat. It's worked well for me and I've consistently been losing weight.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Someone with a starting weight of 268 needs more fuel than someone with a starting weight of 150 that only needs to lose 20-30 lbs. As your weight goes down, your calories will go down.

Also, check your lifestyle setting. Did you choose lightly active or active? Do you work a desk job? If so, you should choose sedentary.
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Options
    People that have 1200 weigh significantly less than you do OR aren't eating enough...
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, it is based on the info you put in when you joined MFP. How tall are you, how many pounds do you want to lose, what is your exercise/lifestyle like etc.
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    At 5'6", 200# and lightly active, I also have 1700 calories to use daily. It takes more for the bigger, heavier and/or more active people to run their bodies, so we have more to use. Basically, if it takes one person 2200 calories to maintain their weight, and another 1700, they will have correspondingly different numbers to lose (deficit 500cal/day). Does that make sense or did I just talk myself in a circle?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how much you weigh now, how much you have to lose, what your activity level is, how much you want to lose a week etc.

Once I had lost 50 pounds, my calorie intake goal was 1320...the smaller you are, the less you need to get you through the day. But now that I've gained weight back, I need 1500 a day to lose a pound a week.

I think we tend to think that when we need to lose weight, the less food we can eat the better. But that is absolutely not true, our bodies still need nourishment and fuel, we just need a little less of it than what we were taking in before we tried to lose weight.
  • bennybuckethead
    Options
    Go to My Home > Goals > Change Goals. Are you using the custom or guided plan? If you are using guided, each of the factors you input determines your calorie level. I don't think custom does this.

I think it is your weight, height, gender, and activity level that determine how many calories you burn by "being alive." For example, mine was calculated at 2490/day. So if I consume 2490/day I should stay at the same weight.

Next you enter how much you want to lose and the rate at which you want to lose it. The rate is what determines your calories per day. I entered 1.5 lbs/week, to do so I need a calorie deficit of 750/day to lose 1.5 lbs/week. The amount you want to lose doesn't affect this number, you simply eat less calories for as long as needed to reach your goal.

As you lose weight, the system automatically adjusts certain numbers. For example, if you walk 1 mile, the amount of calories you burn will be less if you are 150lbs vs 250lbs.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    It has to do with your settings. I have the lowest activity level and a goal of two pounds per week and have a LOT to lose and my calories are at 1340 as set by MFP. You can also manually override MFP settings and set your calories to whatever you want.
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I get 1690 a day to eat...I wonder the same thing to sometimes. Everyone has 1200 calories, don't know if that's what comes up or do they adjust it them self. But Im doing well so Im happy.
  • Crystaljk78
    Crystaljk78 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Right! I have my settings set to lose one pound per week and a "lightly active" activity level. I am allowed 1800 calories per day. I don't usually eat quite that many, to be honest, but I've lost 11 pounds so far (in 3 months). So, not quite a pound a week, but I'm still happy with the results so far :)
  • TheDeviation
    TheDeviation Posts: 149
    Options
    I'm around 3000 calories a day if it makes you feel better... ;)