Reducing Sodium

Options
Does anyone know how to actively reduce sodium in my diet and does anyone know the negative effects sodium has on your body?

Replies

• EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Sodium risks were overstated in the past for the general population; it's a problem if you have certain heart conditions.

How to reduce: switch to potassium-based seasoning. Lite Salt is half sodium, half potassium. NuSalt is 100% potassium. Tastes similar.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am low sodium due to high BP. That being said, my reading yesterday was 125/84.

As others have said, if using canned products, look for low sodium or no salt added. Also, do not eat frozen entrees. Look at labels. You may be surprised where you will find sodium (canned tomatoes, tuna, etc.) I buy low sodium tuna at Whole Foods. Believe it, or not, their price for low sodium tuna is the best that I have found.

Look at seasonings. I buy mine from a local spice shop (they are available nationally and have local stores). Their containers show sodium levels.

Once you go low sodium, it becomes so normal that any regular sodium will be very noticeable to you.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You can get "no salt added" canned vegetables. You can get "no salt added" poultry, but it costs more. I eat brown rice that I cook with no salt and beans that I cook with no salt. They need help. I cover them in paprika and crushed red pepper, neither of which add salt I cook my mostly frozen vegetables without salt. I serve my meals without salt. The largest sodium components of my day are bread, dairy, and my favorite spicy hot pickle each day. I eat thin cuts of beef and pork to help keep the sodium down. I consume less than 1500 mg sodium each day.
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My husband was on strict low sodium due to liver disease. We kept him to less than 1000mg a day. No processed foods. Trader Joes has lots of no salt added items like canned tomatoes and marinara. No commercial bakery items like tortillas and bread, buns, English muffins, bagels. I made all our bread and tortillas from scratch. There are plenty of spices that are no sodium. Mrs Dash, etc. Comes in many flavor combos.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    For me sodium has been the easiest to cut back on. I just started eating more fresh foods and preparing my own foods rather than buying processed. If I do eat something high in sodium, I make sure the rest of my meals are low in sodium.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    1. Don't eat processed foods
    2. Don't eat processed foods.
    3. Don't eat processed foods.
  • 4rita
    4rita Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My doctor said my bp was elevated a few years ago, I did some research and now follow the Dash Diet and my bp is under control again. That diet and the books will say the same things that everyone else is telling you and it is amazing how easy it can be to reduce the sodium in your diet and just how many items have added sodium to them. Good Luck and it really isn't that hard once you know what to look out for.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I don't have any medical conditions that require me to watch my sodium intake. However, excess sodium makes me retain water badly. Just limiting my consumption of processed foods has done wonders for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Puddles25 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to actively reduce sodium in my diet and does anyone know the negative effects sodium has on your body?

Eat more whole foods and less processed foods and less eating out. Negative effects of too much sodium have been overstated in the past and in fact, the sodium fear mongering has actually caused more ill effects from a lot of people not getting enough sodium...it's an essential electrolyte that a lot of people are going to great lengths to greatly reduce for no good reason. If you're active and sweating and whatnot, you need more...too little sodium will result in cramping and whatnot.

I just try to keep it within the RDA and make sure I'm getting enough potassium.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    1. Don't eat processed foods
    2. Don't eat processed foods.
    3. Don't eat processed foods.

THIS. Use fresh or frozen foods. I'm a salt lover, too, so I've started using herbs and spices instead. Last night I had some veggie pasta (Garden Delight) with squash and tomatoes, and I added some fresh cilantro, dried basil, and a little dill weed. It added a lot of flavor without needing salt.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I recently had to cut my sodium down. I LOVE salt in the form of condiments, so now I'm back to making my own or buying salt free versions (not very easy to find).

Salt free hot sauce, mustard, salsa, and low calorie salad dressing were the ones I got so far. I don't do ketchup and I make my own marinara, enchilada sauce, and BBQ sauce. I saw a soy sauce sub using molasses, spices and broth, but haven't tried it yet. That could be helpful with my teriyaki and peanut sauces. I also saw a recipe for low calorie mayo-like spread using silken tofu as a base. I have to make a jerk paste soon and also some pickled jalapenos.
  • Puddles25
    Puddles25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, ill change things up (more fresh, less processed and see how i go) and reduce salt :( . Thanks you
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    If you do not have health issues where low sodium is necessary make sure not to lower it too much or you will have adverse effects. I am slight low sodium for kidney disease. Never drastically change something the body needs. A lot of Ppl do just fine eating loads of sodium as long as they drink plenty of water and don't have those health issues listed above, high bp, kidney issues and heart issues.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Puddles25 wrote: »

Sodium really only has negative effects in a certain set of the population. If you have hypertension, and if you are the 1/3 of hypertensives who shows improvement on low sodium, you should talk to your doctor about a low sodium diet. People with certain types of kidney disease also often need to reduce sodium.

For most people, if your blood pressure is fine and your kidneys are normal, the only "harm" is that you retain water after eating. It's annoying for the scale, but not at all unhealthy. It just gives you a little more blood volume.

You definitely need to be sure not to reduce too far. Too low sodium is dangerous to the point of causing death (typically only seen in athletes or people being dumb). If you do a lot of exercise, you need higher amounts of sodium to replenish what you lose in sweat, and the sports drinks with electrolytes by themselves are not sufficient for that purpose.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Do you not cook? It's incredibly easy to cut back on sodium if you make your own food.