New to Exercise

aklazact
aklazact Posts: 4
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm familiar with it; it's just been so long since I've had the time.
What your recommendations for starting a new excercise routine?

Replies

• bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Depends on your goals but I always recommend for people to research and hire a good trainer even if it's only for a couple of session to teach you proper form. There are also tons of resources online. Check out www.bodybuilding.com They have wonderful articles and videos showing how to properly do exercises.

Good Luck!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    All depends on your schedule to see how much time you can get for working out. Start with a walk after meal usually very pleasant and easy. May be try a 3-day 30 min workout, or whatever you can do. Try to figure out what you like to do for cardio exercises, like walking, running, biking, swimming, play tennis, basketball, etc. And just jump in. Strength training is very important for pretty much everything. Either hire a personal trainer to get your program to start (or if you join a gym they usually have free assessment and probably free program); or go to library to find books (or search online) to get more info.

Many people here also start with using DVD workout program. Cheaper ones like Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred (and more from her), or more pricey ones from beachbody.com - P90X, etc.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Whatever you choose to do, start slow. I started with walking. Now I'm doing a variety of exercise, including jogging, elliptical, pilates, weight training, etc.

Best wishes!
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,013 Member
    I live in the country. like no sidewalks, hilly roads country. So, I walk. The hills kill me! for real. And they are not that big, but to walk them oh boy! I was super out of shape, so walking is good for now. I even toss in a few jogs now and again. I have been taking my dog with me. She's gotten too fat as well, stealing my other dog's food. So I figure we both are fat, we should walk together! LOL
  • kcomets
    kcomets Posts: 2
    I started walking our dog. Now I'm running 5K's, taking spin classes, cardio machines, and strength training. My wife is using a trainer to assist with her strength training, it sure has helped her.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Try a bunch of stuff and find what you like. If it is not an activity you enjoy then you won't do it.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Whatever you choose to do, start slow. I started with walking. Now I'm doing a variety of exercise, including jogging, elliptical, pilates, weight training, etc.

Best wishes!

This!

I see so many people who drop out of exercising because they start too fast and work out too hard and then they get discouraged. When I started on the elliptical, I could only do 10 minutes, now 30 minutes is easy. When I started on the treadmill, I would do 20 minutes at 3.5 mph and no incline. Now I do 30-45 at 3.8 at 3.5-4.0 incline. I built up to it slowly and I enjoy working out because of it.
  • Walk whenever possible. It's leisurely, relaxing, and(depending on the speed/duration) is an easy way to get a nice calorie burn added onto your day. You'll probably feel great afterwards as well. You can always ask a family remember or friend to walk and talk with you to make it seem like less like exercise

Cycling! It's a great way to 'throw" yourself into working out. It's intense, rewarding, and strengthening. IT also works up quite a sweat and calorie burn...depending on if it's a class and how intense the instructor is. That plus maybe some toning/strengthening every other day adding in a little cardio like jumping jacks or jogging in place. There are tons of exercises and videos on Diet.com and Youtube that are free! ^_^
This discussion has been closed.