Protein / Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
Hello all y'all!

What is the opinion on protein / meal replacement shakes while trying to lose weight?

I have a couple of coworkers who have lost a fair amount of weight (the guy has lost close to 70 lbs, the girl is down nearly 100 lbs). They are in maintenance mode now and swear by them, and encourage me to use them even when I still have 60 lbs to go.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Or would you suggest I stay away and get my nutritional needs from somewhere else?

Thanks!

Replies

• stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi!. I'm going to be anxious to see the comments on this. I'll bet they tell you to have what you yourself choose to have, just stay within your calorie macro. I like following but rarely comment
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There is no harm in using them if you need help getting protein in. I will sometimes use them as a quick breakfast or as a snack with a piece of fruit.
    It's not something you have to use though. When I need a quick breakfast before going to the gym in the morning I will make a protein iced coffee (coffee, ice, creamer, and usually Fitmiss Delight or whatever I happen to have on hand) and I might grab a piece of fruit. I do it for convenience.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    There is no harm in using them if you need help getting protein in. I will sometimes use them as a quick breakfast or as a snack with a piece of fruit.
    It's not something you have to use though. When I need a quick breakfast before going to the gym in the morning I will make a protein iced coffee (coffee, ice, cream, and usually Fitmiss Delight or whatever I happen to have on hand) and I might grab a piece of fruit. I do it for convenience.

Thank you for your input. I was think of using them specifically before working out first thing in the morning. I get up at 5 am every morning and don't alawys feel like eating much of anything.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If they fill you up then there's nothing wrong with them.
    They don't fill me up at all and I end up adding a whole heap of different things to make a smoothie, which significantly ups the calories. Which kinda defeats the purpose.
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 for my workout too. I have a coffee as I drove o the gym, workout and eat a banana and drink a protein shake as I drive to work (along with 500-1000 mL of water).
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    a protein shake isn't the same as a meal replacement shake. meal replacement shakes often have vitamins, minerals and other stuff; protein shakes have... well, protein. i use protein powder or quest bars to supplement my daily protein sometimes. i once in a while use a quest bar as a meal, usually if i'm in a rush and worked out hard the day before.
  • AndyJBacon
    AndyJBacon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like the ones from Sam's Club. 30 grams of protein, and the chocolate ones actually taste good. The vanilla is okay, but the banana flavor is gross. Fairly cheap too.
    I use them to supplement my meals. Breakfast is usually a shake with a banana or 1 package instant oatmeal. Get the carbs and great protein, while keeping calories low, and not being hungry for quite a while. Seems to work. I've lost 41 lbs in 4 months.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use meal replacement shakes, and they work well for me. I add protein powder to my meal replacement shake to make sure I'm getting closer to my macro goals. Not everyone likes them, but I know quite a few people who've had good success with them.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I drink a Premier Protein shake for breakfast, because it is convenient. I have also tried and liked GNC's Lean Shake 25, which is more of a meal replacement shake (though it has 25 g of protein). When I was going to the gym, I would drink one after my workout on the way home. Since I've stopped going, I've been having one in the morning with my coffee as a quick, easy breakfast.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake that's just protein powder and water after lunch most days. It helps me hit my goal and fills me up for those last few hours in the work day. There are high protein low cal foods out there, so the powder isn't irreplaceable, but it is convenient.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I drink carb control shakes you can get them from the pharmacy section in Walamrt. I like them as a bed time snack.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the input! This community is so wonderful and supportive.
  • skeka
    skeka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on meal replacement shakes for just over 2 weeks...I'm using them for every meal only because I can't stomach food at the moment after suffering a fair bit of emotional trauma.. I've lost just over 5kgs in two weeks