Most Beneficial Way to Weigh

Options
Hi guys!! Okay so I'm addicted to weighing myself, every morning and every evening, whether there is a negative or a positive change I just HAVE to step on those scales!

How do all you ladies and gents weigh? Every day, every week? Maybe you ditch the scales all together and use good old mesuring tape to see the results.

I'm just looking for tips in avoiding those dissapointments which just turn out to be a little water retention :)

(p.s I would love for any friends here, I'm lacking i spirit at the mo)

Replies

• MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. My scale also does water and body fat % and it is the body fat I'm most concerned with.

and you are more than welcome to add me as a friend if you like. :-)
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I got bad for a while of weighing everyday but I know this just set me up for failure as you can change weight from day to day. If I need to I will weigh halfway thru the weekly weigh in if I am feeling concerned or need a boost that yes its working!
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every day but only log the results on Fridays.
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    I weigh in the mornings, after morning workout, after work, and before bed. I know I lose approximately 2 lbs between the last weigh in and the morning.

This way I can see what is happening and make any necessary adjustments. I don't like waiting a full week to weigh because you just lost a week, when if you weighed every day you would see the scale going up.

Make adjustments and carry on!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I weight in @ the gym. Same time of day and same scale. Seems to be the best.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    delete
  • jpierce8806
    Options
    I got so bad at weighing that I was weighing up to 8 times a day and it was determining my whole day. I stoped weighing for two weeks. I havent weighed since. Im using my tape measure and weighing every 2 weeks or so. Trying to focus on being healthy and not just a number :)
  • jpierce8806
    Options
    I got so bad at weighing that I was weighing up to 8 times a day and it was determining my whole day. I stoped weighing for two weeks. I havent weighed since. Im using my tape measure and weighing every 2 weeks or so. Trying to focus on being healthy and not just a number :)
  • anghahnmowry
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week in the morning. If the number's don't move, I don't worry cuz my goal is to lose two pounds a month!! I figure that it didn't take me a couple of weeks to put on the weight, it will take me the same amount of time to get it off. And look I've lost 16 pounds in 6 months!!! You can do it, but getting upset with yourself is only hurting you...you need to stay positive and take it one day at a time!! If you make a bad choice one day, make a better one the next day!!! GOOD LUCK!! :wink:

Also I'll be your friend, just request me!!!
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    I weigh in Wednesday mornings before I eat. I don't want to get discouraged by off days during the week. I figure if I weigh less than the previous week, then I'm doing well.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    In the end it's up to you what the most beneficial way for you to weigh is! :) If you're finding daily/more-than-daily weighing is affecting your mood, it might be helpful to switch to weekly weigh-ins.

Personally I weigh once per day, in the morning (without clothes on, and after using the washroom). I record my weight in a spreadsheet every day... I am a bit of a nerd.

If you'd like to get a more accurate picture of your weight loss, I recommend putting your weight into a column in a spreadsheet every day. Then in the next column, add up that day's weight, plus the previous seven days, and divide by seven. This will give you a moving average (so your average always depends on today's weight + the previous six days), and it will act to smooth out those natural daily bumps and wiggles so you have a better picture of how your weight changes with time. If the moving average is going in the downward direction, you are on the right track.

This way I don't worry if I'm up a pound or two one day, as long as the overall trend is still generally downwards.
    Example: last week I was 153.4,153.6,153.2, etc. Yesterday I went to a wedding and had lots of food and wine, and today I was up to 156. I didn't freak out because I know it's due to the high sodium + alcohol.

Anyways, it's up to you! Good luck with whatever method you choose!
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I weight myself once a week on Friday mornings. That way if a slip a little over the weekend, and I have the week to recover.
  • allthismusic
    Options
    I actually have the same issue. I know its better to just weigh in once per week, but its hard to break the habit.

If you live with someone else it may be a good idea to ask them to hide the scale or keep it in their room. For you weigh in, you can ask them for it.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I weigh on Saturday mornings after going to the bathroom, but before eating. This is the number I log. I'm too busy during the week to be getting on the scale all the time! (Not implying that you're not busy...I'm just not near a scale!)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a day in the morning and log on Friday mornings. I like to weigh myself daily just to keep myself on track. It just keeps it more real in my head. The measuring tape is next to the scale and I'll check myself 2-3 times a week when I'm not super rushed in the morning. I just started measuring last week so I haven't seen any changes yet. I decided to do both so even if my weight stalls, I'll be able to see changes in the tape.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning, no clothes and after using the bathroom. I do it daily because if I mess up somewhere in the week, I don't want to wait a week to figure it out. I want to know right away so I can self correct.
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    omg youre just like me! lol. Seriously im obsessed...but because of that I know how my bod responds to certain things that i eat.
    On the negative side, as everyone knows, theres the fluctuation. it can be discouraging.
    I just count the weigh ins i do every morning around 5 ish.....after i pee and get naked of course! lol.
  • trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing...weigh every day so I can keep a thumb on the situation!! I only record on Friday's though
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    exactly!!
  • Jollysworld
    Options
    I weigh myself throughout the day (or atleast when I'm home) Just to see whats working, what's not, if I've lost enough weight to eat again. Stuff like that, if I don't lose much one day, or gain a little one day, I'll work harder the next day. I lose 3-5lbs a week, every week. I love knowing what I am everyday VS waiting a week to be disappointed!