Always going over daily fat goal/intake

Options
CamdenHerlihy
CamdenHerlihy Posts: 13 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I eat 1,300 calories a day. I'm a male, 21 years old, weigh 124lbs and I'm 5'3. I know it probably isn't a big deal but I'm more curious than anything. MFP set my daily fat goal at 43g of fat a day. I only eat (what I consider) healthy foods. Kind bars, "Thats It" fruit bars. Lots of berries. Veggies everymorning. Nuts. Despite this I always seem to go over the fat goal. Is doing so adversly affecting my weight loss?

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    As long as you are under your calorie goal it shouldn't affect your weight loss.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Going over on fat has no impact on weight as long as you stick to an appropriate amount of calories. Which leads me to this: We have the same height and weight. I'm in maintenance. Why are you trying to lose weight?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, as a male, you should be eating at least 1500 calories, you are already at a healthy weight. If you aren't happy with where you're at, you will probably get better results from a heavy lifting program and more food than you will from eating so little. And the fat number is a guide, it's not a big deal to go over a bit.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Going over on fat is fine.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    The fats are probably coming from the kind bars and nuts. It's not an issue though if you can stay within calorie range. However, as others have mentioned, what are you trying to achieve going below 124? Maybe strength training is better for you?
  • CamdenHerlihy
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The fats are probably coming from the kind bars and nuts. It's not an issue though if you can stay within calorie range. However, as others have mentioned, what are you trying to achieve going below 124? Maybe strength training is better for you?

I strength train Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Tris, chest, and bis; shoulders, gluets, and more arms; and abs and legs respectively. I do cardio on those days too. On the days with no weight training I do longer cardio.

I'm trying to get rid of the last layer of fat on my stomach. I'm trying to burn it so I can be done and move on to a bulking phase
  • CamdenHerlihy
    Options
    Going over on fat has no impact on weight as long as you stick to an appropriate amount of calories. Which leads me to this: We have the same height and weight. I'm in maintenance. Why are you trying to lose weight?

I am trying to burn through the last layer of fat on my stomach. I have this painfully annoying layer that only shows when I sit down and bend. Its the whole area right below the belly button. So I put myself on a calorie deficit until I can burn it off.

I was 139 when I started, my goal was 119, and I got there but gained what I am now over the last month, so I also want to get back to my original goal.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

I am trying to burn through the last layer of fat on my stomach. I have this painfully annoying layer that only shows when I sit down and bend. Its the whole area right below the belly button. So I put myself on a calorie deficit until I can burn it off.

I was 139 when I started, my goal was 119, and I got there but gained what I am now over the last month, so I also want to get back to my original goal.

Was what you were seeing there when you sat down at 119? Do you have visible abs without flexing when standing at your current weight? I've heard that's quite normal. However, that's not my focus. I have no desire to go under 10% BF.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I really do not know what a good weight is for a 5'3" male but 124 seems like it would be low enough. Keep in mind that it is normal to have a crease or slight roll when you sit down/bend. I'm going to page @betuel75 because I think he stays super lean but has good muscle mass. Maybe he can advise.
  • CamdenHerlihy
    Options
    Was what you were seeing there when you sat down at 119? Do you have visible abs without flexing when standing at your current weight? I've heard that's quite normal. However, that's not my focus. I have no desire to go under 10% BF.[/quote]

They're not visable. The upper four muscles are starting to show but the lower two are still behind a thin layer. Theres no definition to my stomach at all. I know having a ripple is normal, but I know mine is still mostly fat. The only way I could explain is if you saw it, and I doubt you wanna see my hairy belly button xD
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Was what you were seeing there when you sat down at 119? Do you have visible abs without flexing when standing at your current weight? I've heard that's quite normal. However, that's not my focus. I have no desire to go under 10% BF.

They're not visable. The upper four muscles are starting to show but the lower two are still behind a thin layer. Theres no definition to my stomach at all. I know having a ripple is normal, but I know mine is still mostly fat. The only way I could explain is if you saw it, and I doubt you wanna see my hairy belly button xD[/quote]

LOL, no that's ok. I was just checking to see if it was more you not seeing what you have or if they really aren't there. Your BMI is 22 for your stats so going lower isn't a big deal.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I had this problem until I changed my fat goal to 40% and reduced carbs to 40%. You don't have to stick with MFP's default goals.