Cooking chicken breasts in bulk

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
I have been buying chicken breasts in bulk, cooking them, then adding the chicken breast meat to meals throughout the week - throw some on a salad, with some pasta, make chicken salad, etc, etc. I usually bake or pan fried in an electric skillet. It's ok, nothing to write home about taste wise. Basically, it does the trick. But I'm getting tired of the same, semi-bland flavor.

I'm looking for some tips for more flavorful chick breasts.

Oh, and I don't do the slow cooker thing.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Shred, add salsa and heat. Put on a salad with beans, cheese, greek yogurt, and salsa, or build a tostada. I'm a big believer in salsa! Salsa fixes everything.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe the other day and it's quite good. I had it with sourdough crusty bread rolls. I cut the roll in half, scooped out the inside, and was left with what looked like a small bowl made of bread that fit a lot of chicken mixture.
  • DarthSamson
    DarthSamson Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Find all the different spices you can find, the secret is maranade them for 2-3 days plain chicken is a blank canvas you have to paint .I am still experimenting with freezer bags that can handle being boiled or some way to reheat the frozen chicken.

http://www.heandsheeatclean.com/blog/2015/02/clean-eat-recipe-make-your-own-kickin-chicken-seasoning-mix
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Try marinating them in red wine vinaigrette salad dressing. Easy, quite delicious, and I find it usually helps the breasts from drying out so easily. Most (oil and vinegar) salad dressings are great marinades, balsamic is another good one. Spice rubs can be another option, and there are plenty of premade ones you can buy in the store/recipes online.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I poach chicken breast. I usually use bone in skin on chicken breast and add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, lemon, bay, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper. I started with Rachael Ray's recipe then modified amounts to my taste. The chicken is moist and flavorful. I have used for salads, soups, tacos, pizza, bbq, etc. Plus if you strain the poaching liquid you get about 2 quarts broth. You will have to commit 2 hours or so to complete the process. But it is worth it.

Here is a marinade and a few spice blends you could try.
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-chicken.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-seasoning.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/no-salt-seasonings.html
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I know they have more fat, but I will do this with he thighs. Just fry in a non stick pan with a little salt. Perfect to add to salads or just as part of a quick meal...that being said I only do this for a few days as I cook 6-12 at a time a few times a week.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing for years, but I grilled my chicken (like, outside on charcoal, all year round). Nothing's as good as that.
  • pmfrannie
    pmfrannie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I put hot sauce on my chicken breast. Very yummy
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Bake on very low heat covered with;
    Olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, oregano and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
    Meat stays moist when baked covered, uncover and bake for a few minutes before its done.
    Very tasty.
  • bigdish71
    bigdish71 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Slower with lime juice and Flavor God seasoning, shred while still hot. I also smoke mine (apple wood) with a dry rub (low sodium). Let them go at 200 degree for 30 to 40 depending on thickness. Not dry at all and seem to hold a day or too longer in the frig. I will also do breast tenders in egg, sriracha wash and Panko crumbs baked in the oven.
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I put them in a ziplock bag with fat free italian dressing overnight. I'll usually season them a lot of different ways once they are on the pan. Some get "garlic garlic"; some "onion onion"; some paprika or taco or chili seasoning. Lots of variety prepared all at once. I oven grill them at 375 degrees until cooked through (depends on the thickness). They are so moist and flavorful.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Chicken marinaded in equal parts Italian dressing and mayo is amazing. You can use light or low fat of either. Mix the dressing and mayo, dump in chicken, and stir around to coat. You can leave the chicken sit in the marinade for a while, but it tastes good cooked right after coating if you wish. I don't really notice much of a difference. This chicken is best when grilled, but it's also tasty if broiled. I've never tried cooking it any other way. It stays moist and is quite flavorful. It's wonderful by itself or on salads, in tacos, on sandwiches or in wraps, etc.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    This is my go to chicken marinade, I don't ever get sick of it. I mix it in a good seasons bottle and always have it on hand. You could also play around with different vinegars with it. I marinate a bunch of them for 48 hours and then grill them and keep them in the fridge. Have on salad, sandwiches, and with garlic roasted potatoes for lunch. Yum.

Greek dressing

1/2 cup olive oil
    1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    1-1/4 teaspoons pepper
    1-1/4 teaspoons salt
    1-1/4 teaspoons onion powder
    1-1/4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    3/4 cup red wine vinegar

The vinegar I put 1/4 cup and then adjust to taste. 3/4 is too much for me. Sometimes I mix in some balsamic too.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas.

I have never tried oven grilling, so I may have to check that out tonight.
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    make a basil and pesto sauce to have with the chicken.
    -low fat creme fraiche
    -pesto
    -cherry tomatoes halves
    -garlic, red onion
    -fresh basil

amazing.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I throw 6-8 chicken breasts in a crock pot with a can of Rotel tomatoes and chiles and shred it when it is cooked. This can be used as a base for lots of things. This week I:

-Sauteed mushrooms in chipotle sauce, added a half block of cream cheese and 2 cups of chicken and used as a filling for enchiladas
    -Added sauteed spinach, cumin and garlic powder and served over baked sweet potatoes with a bit of cheese
    -Cooked diced potatoes with peppers and onions, topped with some of the chicken and a fried egg
    _Right now I am eating it over a potato with avocado, salsa and Greek yogurt for lunch

You can add black beans, corn and/or rice make a burroito bowl. Or make a taco salad. Also makes great taco filling. Freezes well too.
  • santafeegret
    santafeegret Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I did the same thing for years, but I grilled my chicken (like, outside on charcoal, all year round). Nothing's as good as that.

I grill enough for the week on the grill, the day before I put a rub on it. First wash and dry the breast meat then quick spray with cooking spray and heavily coat with my own rub. Put in refrigerator until I start the charcoal. My rub is equal parts garlic powder,onion powder, black pepper,poultry season, oregano, basil and smoked paprika. Delious leftover.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    This is my go to chicken marinade, I don't ever get sick of it. I mix it in a good seasons bottle and always have it on hand. You could also play around with different vinegars with it. I marinate a bunch of them for 48 hours and then grill them and keep them in the fridge. Have on salad, sandwiches, and with garlic roasted potatoes for lunch. Yum.

Greek dressing

1/2 cup olive oil
    1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    1-1/4 teaspoons pepper
    1-1/4 teaspoons salt
    1-1/4 teaspoons onion powder
    1-1/4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    3/4 cup red wine vinegar

The vinegar I put 1/4 cup and then adjust to taste. 3/4 is too much for me. Sometimes I mix in some balsamic too.

This sounds really nice! It's cost effective and no preservatives or fillers added. Thanks for posting your recipe :)
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Guacamole is delicius you can put it on salads, tacos, sandwiches, burritos or whatever i love guac
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I put paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl. Then I chop up skinless chicken breasts (fat trimmed) info strips or cubes, and toss them in the spice mix. Grill until fully cooked.

So good on salads, in wraps, with tzatziki, on their own...