Potassium

Options
Kimi0371
Kimi0371 Posts: 19 Member
My cardiologist called today to say my potassium levels are too low (on recent blood tests). He told me to focus on getting more through my diet. But I'm researching and I can't quite figure out how to get there. My log is VERY low in potassium. I could eat a sweet potato and a banana every day and still fall short, but my calories sure wouldn't. What am I missing?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Look at a can of beans. You'll see that potassium is not listed.
    If it is not listed, people cannot input it on the MFP database.
    Even though beans are loaded with potassium, there is no way to show the info.
    Google foods high in potassium. I drink a low sodium v8 - 700 mg potassium in 5 oz.
    Did you know that milk has potassium? Even coffee, and I think tea.
  • Limon421
    Limon421 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Beans, tomatoes, potatoes, all high in potassium
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Healthy high potassium foods include : You may have to track it separately.

beans - White beans lead the pack when it comes to potassium, with 1/2 cup nearly (600 mg), but kidney and lima beans, as well as lentils and split peas, are all respectable sources

dark leafy greens, Beet Greens ( 644 mg)

1-sweet potatoes ( 694 mg),

1/4 cup - tomato paste ( 664 mg)

1/2 cup - tomato puree ( 549 mg)

Tomato juice itself has just over 400 mg.

Prunes - 3/4 cup Prune juice (530 mg) ; 1/2 cup stewed prunes (400 mg.)

yogurt, - Eight ounces of plain old non-fat yogurt contains (579 mg) of potassium, while low-fat, whole milk, and cultured buttermilk—yogurt's tangy cousin—have a little less.

Clams - Canned or fresh, 3 ounces of clams (534 mg)

Carrot Juice - 3/4 cup (500 mg)

Blackstrap Molasses - 1 Tablespoon ( 500 mg)

fish - 3 ounce Meaty fish like halibut and tuna have nearly (500 mg )

Winter Squash - (448 mg) per half cup (includes spaghetti squash)

Milk - (382 mg) per cup for the non-fat or skim version - 1% and whole milk has a little less

Orange Juice - 3/4 cup (355 mg)

avocados - 146 grams (708)

Soybeans - 1/2 cup (500 mg)

mushrooms - 18 g (57 mg)

bananas - 1 medium (400 mg)

The current daily value for potassium is 3.5 grams.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You have to use the generic values, not some what some random person has added into the database.

What you might want to do is go to the USDA Food Database at https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list, and then hit Nutrients list. You can search to find the best sources of potassium (or any nutrient) per 100g.

Generally though, fresh vegetables and fruit are loaded. Handily, they're also loaded with lots of other things good for you, and are not generally calorie dense.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Avocados are high in potassium, as are bananas. If you still require more potassium, try changing your sodium salt to potassium salt such as:

Vvua80D.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I just put a bit of the NuSalt in my dinner every night and have been fine. I was having muscle twitches/spasms that attributed to low potassium and they have went away since I started using it.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I take an over the counter potassium supplement that has 99 mg morning and evening. Sometimes I'll take an extra one if I've had leg cramps. While there are many potassium rich foods, if you are on the lower end of the calorie allotment (1200-1500), it's hard to eat as many bananas, potatoes, servings of dairy to get the potassium you need and stay within your goal. The RDA is pretty high, around 3000 mg per day, so it's a lot of food.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I've been making it a point to eat a baked potato to get alot of pottaaium. Advocado too
  • emarific
    emarific Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Coconut water has a ton of potassium, too 460 MG in 8 oz and it's low on calories.