Fun Fitness: Hula Hoop, Belly Dancing, Zumba! Oh My!

Options
What do you love to do that's physical and fun to bring up your heart rate and breathing? Yes, the horizontal mamba does count!! You just have to be doing most of the work! Let's give everyone some great ideas to get physical and stay motivated! Let's be friends and keep that motivation going! Add me!

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I pole dance 3-4 days a week. It's my main form of exercise. It's a great strength, endurance, and confidence builder.
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump for fun. I love everything you mentioned, and added roller skating in recently. Want to try indoor rock climbing soon
  • KimberleyWilson2
    KimberleyWilson2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I pole dance 3-4 days a week. It's my main form of exercise. It's a great strength, endurance, and confidence builder.

That's awesome! I definitely want to learn how to do that and get a pole in my home eventually!! That take a lot of strength!
  • KimberleyWilson2
    Options
    Bump for fun. I love everything you mentioned, and added roller skating in recently. Want to try indoor rock climbing soon

One of my friends does Roller Derby and I love it because she's a bigger girl but totally rocks those tight fitting little outfits! She's absolutely gorgeous and has a blast. She also used to play women football.

I have vertigo, totally couldn't do rock climbing, I get dizzy on chairs! I love hiking but I can't do it where there's a steep drop off on the side of the mountain or I get too dizzy and have to stop. It's annoying and makes me wish I could push past it. I can't help but think it's mental deep down and I should be able to just keep going.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love zumba and now cize too. Sometimes my workout is just loud music and dancing. I also very actively play in the park with my son. I don't sit and watch, I play tag and climb and swing with him. I used to take martial arts classes, but no time right now.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

That's awesome! I definitely want to learn how to do that and get a pole in my home eventually!! That take a lot of strength!

Pole dancing is really great, and it does help you build tremendous strength. I really do love it, and I do have a pole installed in my apartment, so I'm always reminded to workout, lol.
  • KimberleyWilson2
    Options
    roxywho42 wrote: »
    I love zumba and now cize too. Sometimes my workout is just loud music and dancing. I also very actively play in the park with my son. I don't sit and watch, I play tag and climb and swing with him. I used to take martial arts classes, but no time right now.

I want to do cize so bad but I'm waiting until after I have my baby to order it.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hoop-dance is great! I make my own hoops, and use them when I teach classes at the University!
  • KimberleyWilson2
    Options
    Hoop-dance is great! I make my own hoops, and use them when I teach classes at the University!

I have watched so many tutorials on how to make hoops and I want to but I haven't yet. I'm 5'10 so it's hard to find a hoop that isn't also weighted but the right size for me.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I make mine out of irrigation tubing and plastic threaded pipe connectors. Once you've done one, it's very easy.
  • a80r
    a80r Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    roxywho42 wrote: »
    How is cize compared to high intensity Zumba?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

One of my friends does Roller Derby and I love it because she's a bigger girl but totally rocks those tight fitting little outfits! She's absolutely gorgeous and has a blast. She also used to play women football.

I have vertigo, totally couldn't do rock climbing, I get dizzy on chairs! I love hiking but I can't do it where there's a steep drop off on the side of the mountain or I get too dizzy and have to stop. It's annoying and makes me wish I could push past it. I can't help but think it's mental deep down and I should be able to just keep going.

By no means into pole dancing, but regarding the vertigo. I was diagnosed with it. My doctor gave me some general exercises to do for it. Said if it didn't clear up in a week to go to a PT specializing in balance issues. The PT did some tests and determined the most likely area of the problem and was able to prescribe specific movements to clear it up.

It was gone by my follow up appointment a week later. Might want to check into if haven't already.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I love my hula hoop. Since my back surgery I've had to give up all my high impact favorites, like dance.
    Also love kayaking, and just discovered that the park near us rents kayaks by the hour or by the day.
  • flowersofhelady
    flowersofhelady Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started belly dancing 18 months ago. Its amazing. Changed my life, body and confidence!