Go by weight...or measurements??

Options
tempuress_82
tempuress_82 Posts: 101 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I see alot of people have a weight goal...as do i..buttttt...i honestly do not care of my weight ( well sorta) ...i weighed in at 175 three weeks ago...started this app 2 weeks ago..measured myself 2 weeks ago and down 4" in waist...have not weighed in recently...dont care to...my clothes are loose now my arms and legs are thinned and toning....should i care of my weight if i can clearly see by my measurements??

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    It's one of those 'it depends' kind of things. For me personally, my weight is directly tied to my glucose number (I have several years of blood work panels to show this). So I have to keep my weight down to a certain threshold. Someone else isn't going to have this issue though and they may feel better focusing on measurements, how their clothes fit etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My health is fine so far, and I've never had issues with blood sugar or cholesterol, even when fat, so my current primary goal is vanity, and for that I don't care about the scale, I care about BF%, which measurements (or how my clothes fit) reflect best. On the other hand, being lighter helps with running which I'm also into, so I have a preliminary goal of being 118. If I ultimately have to pick between vanity and performance (in that I'm not elite, I doubt it will matter much), I'll pick vanity (and health, as I think more muscle mass as we age is good and I'm someone for whom building muscle is not easy).
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i do both .. but i would rather lose more off my waist than drop weight
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I came to the realization that the final number doesn't really matter much to me, I'll be done when I feel "right". My goal weight is set to 185, but I don't see that as the finish line. I was excited when I hit 199, just to no longer be 200+, but because I've been skinnier at the same weight, I see how much of a difference muscle makes. I'd rather be heavier with muscle than skinnier with more fat. I don't expect to be everyone's dream girl (never possible to please everyone), I'm okay with being happy with myself.

To (finally) answer your question, if you're comfortable with taking measurements instead of weighing yourself, go for it!
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you're quite overweight, then weight loss is certainly a part of this journey. As you lose weight, you'll also lose inches. When you're at a good and healthy weight, then the specific weight doesn't matter really. At that point, focus on reduction of body measurements and progress pics as your main indicator of progress. Great question!
  • FatMomRun
    FatMomRun Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I started on this journey I focused on the scale because that is what I knew to do. Now I focus on different numbers, my body fat percentage.

I'm a 43 year old female, I'm 5' 4", currently weigh 132 pounds. My body fat percentage is 22.46%, the lower end of ideal. My doctor said she would support me attempting to drop down to 129 pounds, any lower and she wouldn't be comfortable.

More than a few years ago I weighed 135 pounds, I wore a size 8, today I'm only 3 pounds lighter and I wear a size 4. The difference is the amount of muscle compared to fatty tissue. I'm leaner, stronger, healthier than ever.

ygy7v8w2dwxn.jpeg
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Measurements worked great for me, but when I was losing I did keep an eye on the scale weekly as well.

I also focused more on my body composition (losing fat and inches) and getting leaner than my scale weight.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I care more about measurements and would consider heavier and smaller to be healthier, if you are getting smaller without getting lighter I would call that the best result of all, with one caution:

In general, BMI underestimates obesity in terms of fat, so be careful about thinking pounds don't matter. It's highly unusual to be above healthy pounds and not overfat, and more common to be within healthy pounds with too much body fat.

But if you are inside the bubble of healthy pounds, or getting there, and shrinking in volume faster than you are losing pounds? High five!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use all the numbers I can get...

inches, lbs, BMI, BF% and the amount of plates on the bar...

They are all a sign of success imo.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I tend to get too attached to numbers on the scale - which is why I rarely weigh myself.

That being said, if I wore a size 0 and was 200lbs, I wouldn't care :)
  • BeckyDaniels16
    BeckyDaniels16 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I actually quite like using the number on the scale because when I take measurements I tend to only do waist and hips, but never any other part of my body. So I could be losing inches from other places which I wouldn't have measured but not realising and then getting disheartened. So I personally find the scale motivates me more to keep going!

But the two are best used in conjunction with each other provided you don't get too hung up on either one!

Whichever works best for the individual and their goals etc etc - if you're happy how things are then keep at it!
  • BeckyDaniels16
    BeckyDaniels16 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Also probably important to mention I am a body dysmorphic - so I can't really use mirrors and how I look in them for an accurate representation of myself!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    It's all about what works for you. I took my monthly measurements this week, and have lost 7inches in the 6 places I have kept track but today saw 7lbs UP on the scale. I blame my period and new exercise, started pilates again this week.

So measurements are great, they spare you seeing water fluctuations for sure. Stick with what works for you! You could always do a big reveal party for yourself, only take measurements until you're pleased then check the number and celebrate the total pounds lost! That would be fun!