PCOS

Options
rachdene
rachdene Posts: 4 Member
So I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS and I'm looking for meal plans. The doctor wants me to eat the majority of my calories during the day but my job is appointment based. I love chicken but eating it every day is a little daunting. Anyone know of any apps or anything that could help?

Replies

• mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, but haven't really been on track with my diet like I should be. I know a lot of ladies with PCOS follow a low carb lifestyle. There's a great PCOS group on here though, so you might ask there! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • HayleyAnne012911
    HayleyAnne012911 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You can do it! As a fellow PCOS and diabetic, cut out soda, sugar, and really fatty carbs like pastas, bread, rice. If you still want those just replace them with healthier options like brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread etc. Basically avoid the processed foods. All natural is better for you and you'll notice your energy increase. :) I used to fall asleep on my drives to work almost everyday it was that bad. Now I'm energized and singing my heart out to the radio. I've about been through it all so message me if you need to talk. I'm 23 so I know how it feels to be young and overweight. I used to weigh 425 pounds.
  • rachdene
    rachdene Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been off soda for years and I'm not big on most carbs. The sugar will be the toughest along with smoking I think
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I have never been on a special diet and it was never recommended to me by any dr. Limit your calories. If you are also prediabetic, monitor your carbs per meal. And increase your physical activity.
  • Lana4639
    Lana4639 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating paleo (or create your own version that works for you). In my experience it's also beneficial tracking your carb intake (no more than 100 grams per day unless I was doing intense exercise). I set my macros to 30%carbs/40%protein/30%fats. Making these changes in my life helped me to lose 110lbs. I didn't workout consistently for the last 4 months and thankfully through only my diet I've maintained my weight loss.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Get "The PCOS Diet" by Hillary Wright. She lays out a great meal plan and also gives the best explanation of insulin and insulin resistance I've ever seen. She talks about low-carb not really being necessary, but that carbs should be spread out throughout the day to avoid blood sugar spikes. That's what causes the hormonal imbalances that occur with PCOS. It's really great reading.

I've lost 18 pounds since February 17. I'm not logging my food or weighing, measuring, counting calories. I've just made changes to how I eat. I'm eating lots of chicken and fish (especially salmon). I eat lots of veggies (watch those starchy, carb-heavy veggies like corn and peas), using fresh herbs to season them. I eat fruit and drink water or green tea instead of sodas. I still eat carbs, but I've replaced them with whole grain versions. For sandwiches and such I use a multi-grain bread, and I use Garden Delight pasta (made from veggies). I limit the portions of these as well. I allow myself a little sugar-free ice cream at night for at treat (Breyers' salted caramel swirl-YUMMY!). I take 1000 mg of Metformin per day (that's actually a pretty low dose for PCOS--I know of some women who are taking 2500-3000).

As to exercise, I do BodyPump 3-4 times a week and I've just taken up running (it's still mostly walking at this point!).