Has anyone tried Zumba?

Options
I am thinking about doing Zumba classes with my sister. She says its a lot of fun and it's a great work out. I'm wondering if it better then cardio at the gym?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    "Better" is pretty subjective. I wouldn't say doing Zumba is better than running on a treadmill or vice versa. Any activity is better than none.

Yes, Zumba is fun. Yes, you'll burn calories.

The "better" part of it would be if it holds your interest and it's something you'll continue to do. Just don't expect to be running any races or complete any competitions doing Zumba. ;)
  • Sheri2016
    Sheri2016 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Its simply something different to help mix up the normal typical cardio. Depending on the instructor sometimes you can get a great workout if it involves a bunch of jumping around but if it is just moving to the steps it's not as great. Either way it is a fun way to mix up the regular boring treadmill.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It definitely works, it's great cardio that does wonders for a woman I know. Keeping with it is the important part, though.
  • seanafvet
    seanafvet Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    then I will through it into my weekly mix. Do some cardio on the treadmill and attend Zumba to help tone and have fun while working out. Plus give me and my sister some quality sibling time together. As far as races or completing in any competitions, those days are behind me as I have had my fair share of them when I was in the military. Thanks for the info by all.
  • a80r
    a80r Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba 4 times a week and if you get into it, give it all you got, and have a good instructor, you can get really fit and burn a lot of calories. I burn about 100 more calories in an hour doing Zumba, than I do on the Elliptical at a high intensity. Just try it out!
  • ohheyitsmadds
    ohheyitsmadds Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was always so afraid to try zumba because I thought I would be terrible at it. Started going a little over 2 months ago and I LOVE it! Was unsure at first, but after my instructor mentioned my progress and dancing talent (total shock to this girl) I fell in love. I burn a ton of calories and my endurance has improved-- way more fun than just running on a treadmill.
    Give it a shot! Good luck!
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Thinking about doing zumba at home.
  • ScotsLass78
    ScotsLass78 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend Zumba....I loved it. Unfortunately I fell a while ago injuring my knee very badly and I can't quite keep up with the classes now as my instructor was really fast paced, but I still try to do it with youtube videos when I can. I tried a gym once but I get bored easily so zumba was great cardio for me :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Zumba is just the 'technical' term for 'organised dossaround'. An hour of just waving your hands randomly about with music. They even charge for the privilege....
  • ThatJohanna
    ThatJohanna Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Zumba is awesome, I lost 72 lbs 2 years ago with Zumba & Weight Watchers. The weight melted off BUT I had a lot of lose skin. I recommend some weight training to avoid flabby skin.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I taught Zumba for 5 years, it works. There are different formats of Zumba so you just need to find the one that works for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends on the class but it can be a great workout.

It's not my thing unfortunately but judging by the size of the classes here, a lot of people like it.
  • fitmacky06
    fitmacky06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Zumba is amazing for weight loss. I recommend purchasing the tapes. I have been doing Zumba since 2004 & love it! I work out to them at home usually 4-5 days a week. Just make sure to do weight training in between to build muscle. Zumba will slim you down for sure.
  • greaseisstilltheword
    greaseisstilltheword Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love it...been going for over 3 years now. I find it a great workout, but also one that I'll do consistently. I rarely blow off a class because I truly enjoy it. I've also made friends I would never have met otherwise. Group classes can be very social, which gives you another reason to go. At first you will feel awkward, but give it a few classes before you decide. A great instructor makes all the difference. But it is certainly more than "organized dossaround", in my humble opinion. And if all you're doing is waving your hands around, I'm not sure what class you're doing, bit it ain't Zumba. ;)-
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    it's great! i have lost 40 pounds doing it and last 3 months resistance bands.
  • Hispanicprincess
    Hispanicprincess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love me zumba!!! I don't just waive my arms around I work my whole body!! I really recommend it especially classes you get more motivation and it's much better than the elliptical or treadmill. I do recommend trying different instructors and good shoes that are not running shoes. Nike Flex are my favorite!