meal plan

Options
who plans their meals? do you do it on a weekly basis, daily basis or monthly basis?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Weekly when I make my shopping list
  • sharondowen
    sharondowen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thinking of doing that from tomorrow. we have so much food in house lol
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Daily.
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    i meal plan 2 times a week... i don't like eating 5 day old cooking so i meal prep sunday and Wednesday... easier to keep track and also i love being able to eat prepped meals that don't taste old...
  • sharondowen
    sharondowen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i meal plan 2 times a week... i don't like eating 5 day old cooking so i meal prep sunday and Wednesday... easier to keep track and also i love being able to eat prepped meals that don't taste old...

meant plan a menu for a week not cook meals
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    who plans their meals? do you do it on a weekly basis, daily basis or monthly basis?

I have a 12 weeks dinner rotation plan - weekly themes with 2, 3 or 4 varieties for Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays; soup or stew on Mondays with leftovers on Wednesdays; Fridays open for anything. Other meals are planned erratically - I fill it in when I buy foods that need to be eaten fast, and plot in anything I want to eat when I feel like it. Still, all meals follow the same pattern - breakfasts and lunches are usually crispbread, milk, fruit, veg, or porridge, or pita bread; lunch can also be salad, omelet, unplanned leftovers, noodles, spring rolls, cocoa, smoothie; dinners protein+starch+veg, evening meal fruit+nuts+veg, maybe also cheese/smoothie.

As meal prep came up (it usually does :p ) - I don't prep meals, but components: I portion and freeze meat and fish, slice and freeze bananas, cut and box vegetables and fruit (when applicable - melons, pineapple, carrots; not apples, broccoli), and the night before check if I need to take out meat/fish to thaw and grains to soak overnight in the fridge.

I love this system. It gives me variety, structure, balance and predictability. I wish I had discovered meal planning sooner :D
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I shop twice a week. I plan the specific meals the night before. Often the meals are similar from day to day so that is easy.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I plan once a week and base it on what I have on hand and what is on sale in the circular. My plan is flexible though since my leftovers for lunch sometimes get eaten by children or hubby. I always have canned beans and tuna on hand for a quick fix.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I plan a month at a time. I shop once a week for the weekly meals and prep for the week by cutting veggies, boiling some eggs, portioning out meat if I need to, and roasting some veggies for the first couple days. I keep a list running on my fridge (on my magnetic monthly meal plan) for staples that I need to pick up and then add whatever I need to for the weekly shopping trip. If I change my mind or don't feel like something (like if I planned chili but it's supposed to be 85 degrees all week) I can swap things around before I shop. Breakfast and lunches are nearly always the same - eggs, fruit, leftovers, chicken or chicken apple sausage that I cook during my prep, salads or wraps, veggies, etc. Dinners are whatever was on the plan.
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I plan 1 week at a time, usually right before I go grocery shopping
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Weekly, although it's usually subject to change, especially later in the week when I've run out of leftovers. I pre-log on here too as I plan.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Daily. Then I adjust when weighing the various stuff. The last little bit of snacks might change.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I wish I could but can't get that organized. I throw meals together when it's time for a meal or tell everyone here "fend for yourself!" It's a terrible system.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I plan a week at a time. I pre prep breakfast for my husband and lunches for both of us.