Thinking of trying TDEE (-20%)

Options
I gained about 20lbs in about 3 months due to quitting my restaurant job (on my feet 8-9 hrs day/5 days a week) and helping out with a sick family member (at times crazy stressful - not moving a lot and just eating a lot while in the hospital).

I just started on MFP again in the past couple of weeks (Friday is my 3rd weigh in) and I also started using my fitbit again.

According to MFP I should eat approx. 1610 calories per day to lose 1.5lbs per week and I have my activity level set to Sedentary (it was easier because I can't work out everyday). I usually eat about 1400 - 1600 daily and don't eat back the fitbit calories. I try to get in 10k steps 5x per week.

My question is I'm wondering if my calories are too low. I did a TDEE (-20%) check and they have my calorie level at 2400 a day with 3/5 hour workouts per week.

I know I'm just starting but don't want my body to go into starvation mode early and then I have to backtrack to undo damage before moving forward.

My family keeps telling me that it's going to take time for the weight to come off and I'll admit I'm not patient (yet I HATE working out, lol). I lost about 50lbs 3 years ago counting calories and doing turbo fire and I miss that me (even though I was absolutely paranoid about eating - and THAT I know wasn't healthy).

Appreciate the time and wisdom.

Stats:
Female
Weight: 250.2
Height: 5' 9"
GW: 210
Approx. BF: 37%

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I gained about 20lbs in about 3 months due to quitting my restaurant job (on my feet 8-9 hrs day/5 days a week) and helping out with a sick family member (at times crazy stressful - not moving a lot and just eating a lot while in the hospital).

I just started on MFP again in the past couple of weeks (Friday is my 3rd weigh in) and I also started using my fitbit again.

According to MFP I should eat approx. 1610 calories per day to lose 1.5lbs per week and I have my activity level set to Sedentary (it was easier because I can't work out everyday). I usually eat about 1400 - 1600 daily and don't eat back the fitbit calories. I try to get in 10k steps 5x per week.

My question is I'm wondering if my calories are too low. I did a TDEE (-20%) check and they have my calorie level at 2400 a day with 3/5 hour workouts per week.

I know I'm just starting but don't want my body to go into starvation mode early and then I have to backtrack to undo damage before moving forward.

My family keeps telling me that it's going to take time for the weight to come off and I'll admit I'm not patient (yet I HATE working out, lol). I lost about 50lbs 3 years ago counting calories and doing turbo fire and I miss that me (even though I was absolutely paranoid about eating - and THAT I know wasn't healthy).

Stats:
    Female

TDEE-20% is probably close to your goal here +exercise calories.

Activity level should not include exercise.

and TDEE is used typically when you are certain of work outs which you indicated you can't be sure you will be working out consistently.

My suggestion is to give MFP way a go first. Log accurately and consistently and eat some of your exercise calories and if you get to the point where you are exercising consistently use the TDEE method but you will find it is the calories given here+exercise calories (or very close to it)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'll argue the other side as @SezxyStef :D . I prefer TDEE (although I only subtract 10%). I like knowing how many calories per day to shoot for. When using MFP plus exercise calories, my daily # of calories would change. It was like shooting at a moving target. I hated having to try to make my calories work at the end of the day. Now I just shoot for 1930 calories every day. Much easier to get into a rhythm and hit my goals.

BTW, I am also 5'9", currently 179 pounds, 41 year old female. So, your TDEE sounds like a realistic number to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like Stef said, the MFP goal excludes exercise so you add it back and eat more when you do it. Once that difference is taken into account they should be similar. Also, your TDEE-20% is going to be about 1 lb/week, so if you are asking MFP for 2 lb/week that's another difference.

Starvation mode (as in too low to lose) isn't a thing, but lots of people do better at a more moderate rate of loss.
  • SezxyStef
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'll argue the other side as @SezxyStef :D . I prefer TDEE (although I only subtract 10%). I like knowing how many calories per day to shoot for. When using MFP plus exercise calories, my daily # of calories would change. It was like shooting at a moving target. I hated having to try to make my calories work at the end of the day. Now I just shoot for 1930 calories every day. Much easier to get into a rhythm and hit my goals.

BTW, I am also 5'9", currently 179 pounds, 41 year old female. So, your TDEE sounds like a realistic number to me.

I agree actually as I prefer TDEE (but don't as I have a tracker) and used TDEE for 2 years...but it was the inconsistent exercise the OP indicated which made me think that until it was consistent it might not be best.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    WHAT IS TDEE? THANKS FOR ANY HELP?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I prefer TDEE method too.

TDEE is your total daily burn including exercise. One method of losing weight is to estimate your average TDEE over a week (if you have a consistent exercise schedule) and subtract 20% (or 10%).
  • nyctina
    nyctina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone...sounds like everyone is here is encouraging TDEE which I admit I may prefer (especially planning the workouts ahead to hit the set macros). I'll finish up with the MFP numbers for this week (see what happens loss wise) and since my bday is next week I might try TDEE for a few weeks to see what happens. I'm also thinking TDEE may work better because I can already feel myself becoming paranoid about not eating earlier in the day so I can make sure I don't go over my daily calories by the end.

Wow...your stats are pretty close to mine (although I don't think I can ever get that low weight wise :) ). If you don't mind sharing (either here or just send me a message) are you still aiming to lose or at maintenance with that daily calorie count?
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I RESEARCHED IT. NOW I KNOW WHAT TDEE IS!
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight at the rate you expect? If so don't change anything. If not then make adjust up or down based on your results. TDEE is only an estimation to give you a starting point. Once you've started then let your results dictate.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Stats:
    Female

TDEE-20% is probably close to your goal here +exercise calories.

Activity level should not include exercise.

and TDEE is used typically when you are certain of work outs which you indicated you can't be sure you will be working out consistently.

My suggestion is to give MFP way a go first. Log accurately and consistently and eat some of your exercise calories and if you get to the point where you are exercising consistently use the TDEE method but you will find it is the calories given here+exercise calories (or very close to it)

Just wanted to second this. You should be logging your exercise and eating back a portion of those calories on MFP. When I do that, my weekly calories using MFP method is almost exactly what my TDEE calculated calorie goal would be.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

This is also the method I prefer. Makes it so much easier for me. Plus trying to get accurate exercise calories is pretty much impossible so I hate working with numbers that are completely wrong anyway.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    TDEE is general, so it may or may not apply to you.

i lose 1/2 a pound a week eating what the scooby calculator says is just under my BMR - obviously it isn't or i'd be losing too much weight and feeling weak, but i'm not. and the TDEE minus 20% on scooby is my maintenance, so take it all with a grain of salt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MFP and the TDEE method are 6 of 1, half dozen of the other when comparing apples to apples rate of loss goals...the only difference between the two methods is where you account for exercise. If you're doing MFP you should be logging exercise and then eating back those calories to account for that activity...with TDEE, exercise activity and the requisite calories are already included in your target.
  • attackcat64
    attackcat64 Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I would also suggest that if you do decide to try TDEE...with that big of a calorie difference between what you are doing now vs. TDEE calories, I would SLOWLY work my way up. Maybe add 100 calories a week or something and see what happens. Sometimes jumping too high too quick can cause your body to struggle to readjust to the new level. But since you haven't been eating at the lower calorie level for long, you might be able to add more per week.

I use the Scooby calculator as well. It has me eating about 2000 a week and right now I'm at 1900 and doing well. (I started at 248 and am at 231lb now, 5'5" and 35 years old). I currently walk about 6 miles a week and swim for an hour. Honestly I'm thinking I'm going to up it to the 2000 to see how things go. I started out at 1700 calories a day with a 20 minute yoga routine as my only exercise. I saw fair movement on the scale, but once I upped my exercise (with the increase in calories as well) I've had a lot more success.

Regardless of which you choose, monitoring your measurements and weight are important. If you are losing fat (inches) but not actual pounds, you might be closer to maintenance calories. If you are dropping weight and inches, you are likely in the sweet spot for calories. I wouldn't change it unless you start seeing a plateau or you are dealing with a LOT of hunger or fatigue. Those last two are kinds of signals that are a good indicator you aren't eating enough.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I much prefer TDEE too. But you have to be pretty consistent in your activity level for it to work, I think.

You can't compare MFP with a 750 calorie deficit and no exercise calories and TDEE though... TDEE includes exercise, and a 20% deficit is typically around 400-600 calories. The bottom line though is that whatever way you pick, your calorie goal should be pretty similar (assuming a similar deficit AND eating exercise calories on MFP as it's intended).
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    You could eat the same # of calories with tdee-20% or MFP cal #s...just with MFP they'll start you off with the 1610 and if you work off 300 cals in exercise and eat them back then you eat 1910 cals and still have the same deficit;)
  • nyctina
    nyctina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In an around about way I get what you all are saying. It's almost as if no matter what method I choose I need to up my calories (either with tdee OR by sticking with MFP and hitting my calorie goal + eating some or all of my exercise calories).

Attackcat64 makes an excellent point, whichever method I do I'll make sure to work up slowly.

How long did it take any of you to get it figured out once you began?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    In an around about way I get what you all are saying. It's almost as if no matter what method I choose I need to up my calories (either with tdee OR by sticking with MFP and hitting my calorie goal + eating some or all of my exercise calories).

Attackcat64 makes an excellent point, whichever method I do I'll make sure to work up slowly.

How long did it take any of you to get it figured out once you began?

I did MFP Neat method for 3 months then tracked my own data for 3 more weeks using a food scale and use that as the way to get to my TDEE.

total calories consumed+(lbs lost x 3500)/21 (#of days) as I mentioned earlier it ended up being my MFP calorie goal plus the exercise calories I had been eating...
  • dlcshan
    dlcshan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I hadn't heard of the TDEE thing before now, but my exercise is variable anyway. I have MFP set at sedentary (because I don't work and mostly stay home) and goal of losing 1.5 lbs per week. Then when I do exercise (which has been every day because of MMF's darn challenges encouraging me) I often just ignore the extra calories (which would boost me to more like a 2 lb loss) or if I'm craving an extra treat or just plain still hungry, I eat them back and then I'm still at the 1.5 lb per week loss. It's all going to depend on your mentality. I would rather get an extra surprise at the end than bank on doing a certain workout every day. Things come up and it's easier to think of it as getting something extra when you do exercise than having to cut back if you don't get your workout in.