Rings and deadlifts?

Options
hill8570
hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
OK, weird question. Was pulling 305 this morning (still on the quest for the elusive three plates, but getting closer), and it took me three pulls to get all 5 reps ups. In both fails, the cause was the callus next to my ring finger getting pinched. AFAIK, I shave that callus as much as the corresponding one on the right hand, and my grip isn't up on the palm, like I'd usually expect from a pinched callus. In both cases, it didn't feel like a bar rotation issue (I didn't lose control - it just hurt like hell), so I don't think switching to mixed grip / hook grip would've made a difference. I'm wondering if the wedding ring is messing up the bar seating on that finger. Do you folks who lift the heavy stuff leave your rings on for the pull, or not?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I've happily married for almost 32 years and have taken my wedding ring off at the gym for all except the first couple visits after getting married when I noticed the knurling on the bars was scratching the ring.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my rings at the gym.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i never wear rings when i lift. Are you not using mixed grip , you should be. Also i use a lot of chalk . and sometimes my hands burn for days if i have a very hard heavy day. its just part of being a lifter.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I always take my rings off at the gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't wear jewelry of any sort in the gym.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I take my rings off. I'm usually fresh out of bed with bed-head and no make-up, so I don't need a ring to keep the men at bay. Lol
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Yep - no rings (google: "ring avulsion") <-- a lesson once learned; and now always remembered
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yup; take off the ring(s). Once you start moving serious weight, doesn't matter the grip, if you are wearing metal it doesn't conform to a grip like your skin will try too; it just does what metal does, retain it's shape and put large amounts of pressure on the edges where the skin starts to squish/overlap the metal; causing lots o' pain in some cases.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Rings are not safe in the weight room. If you must wear a ring, wear a Qalo or other silicon ring.
  • powercycle
    powercycle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just echoing what others have already stated. I take my ring off when I lift weights.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Well, well. Guess I've been lucky to make it this far with the ring on. Guess I'll have to figure out where to stash it during gym time.

@SonyaCele -- no, still using DOH for my lifts. I practice with mixed and hook grip (ow!), but I've been saving them for when I feel bar rotation starts becoming an issue. Generally grip has been the least of my worries. I use liquid chalk, which seems to work OK for me.

@deluxmary2000 -- the bed-head and lack of makeup won't save you -- a woman in the power rack or deadlifting is automatically hot :wink:

Thanks, all!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Well, well. Guess I've been lucky to make it this far with the ring on. Guess I'll have to figure out where to stash it during gym time.

My husband and I both have this keychain:
    http://smile.amazon.com/Mudder-Car-Keychain-Key-Ring/dp/B01B4MCEYW/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1462383801&sr=8-36&keywords=keychain+rings

When we go lift, we both use the little clip on it where you put your keys to also hook our ring in to, so we don't lose them. Mine goes on there and then in my locker, since I work out in the morning. He doesn't use a locker as he goes mid-day before work and this way can safely have it in his pocket with his car key.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

@SonyaCele -- no, still using DOH for my lifts. I practice with mixed and hook grip (ow!), but I've been saving them for when I feel bar rotation starts becoming an issue. Generally grip has been the least of my worries. I use liquid chalk, which seems to work OK for me.

@deluxmary2000 -- the bed-head and lack of makeup won't save you -- a woman in the power rack or deadlifting is automatically hot :wink:

Thanks, all!

I have a consistent place, the front cup holder of my car's console where the ring is stored during gmy time.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I also take mine off. I keep it in my jeans pocket in my locker.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Yep - no rings (google: "ring avulsion") <-- a lesson once learned; and now always remembered
    yeah.... never ever lifting with a ring....
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Ring comes off for weightlifting, working on cars or any construction type activity. Too much of a chance for something bad to happen with it on.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I take my ring off.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I take my rings off ...
    For the gym
    For the pool
    When using power tools
    When gardening.
    The poor things just never get worn anymore.

Cheers, h.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Removing your rings is the safe thing to do. Most likely you won't deglove your finger or loose a finger while lifting but it can pinch the heck out of your skin. I don't wear rings doing any kind of manual labor or at the gym and when I did, I wore gloves. I don't care how much of a *kitten* people think I am for doing it.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Rings come off. I have a carabiner clipped on my water bottle lid that I put them on.