Bariatric noob, it's hard work

Options
Sicnic5150
Sicnic5150 Posts: 27 Member
edited May 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I just had the sleeve gastrectomy done on March 14th, and it isn't easy and it's definitely not cheating to reach your weight loss goals. It's a tool to get your head around proper nutrition and healthy lifestyle living, granted it does get you ahead of the curve toward reaching the finish line. It's a lifetime commitment to maintain this new way of living and it's HARD WORK WITH A 0 TO 100 LEARNING CURVE LITERALLY OVERNIGHT.

So I'm here to get support from own bariatric community as well as those who are living happy healthy lifestyles already or are just starting that journey. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THE GARBAGE OF NEGATIVITY I'VE BEEN READING ON SOME POSTS this is not a bandaid or a crutch, it's a super charged tool some of us had to reach for to move past our previous failure of living healthy. For those of you who aren't a fan of this tool I assure you we ARE WE ARE NOW VERY COMITTED IF NOT MORE THAN YOU ARE. Failure is not an option anymore and shaming anyone for any reason is just outright FOUL! END DISCLOSURE RANT LOL, BE HELPFUL NOT HURTFUL!

I truly am in love with this app and it's it's saving my life, I love the support being shared and making like minded buddies! We are collectively what makes us successful in whatever our journey and I look forward to being part of yours. :#B)

Replies

• Monseroath
    Monseroath Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Im bariatric too... nice too meet you!
  • barbara3213
    barbara3213 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    14 years out from RNY. Welcome.
  • tammiann61
    tammiann61 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 59.6 and 5 doctors have told me to have the surgery. My husband says you can do it on your own. I am a compulsive eater at night but since I restarted using MFP and following south beach diet(I have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes and high cholesterol) I have been doing well and really watching what is eat. I don't know if this is the place to ask for guidance on having the surgery and not only that but with eating and having what I read on the dumping feeling and etc. If anyone wants to private message me please do! I am going to a seminar in June on the surgery and in info in advance would help me greatly and to educate my husband. Thank you in advance.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am almost 10 years post op lap band and view it as a tool also. I still have a weight issue but it's not as much as it was 10 years ago. My BMI has gone from 63.3 to 47.4. I still need to lose another 100 pounds but I can do it. My bariatric doctor prescribed me a medicine called Contrave which has helped with the cravings and set me on a downward spiral again.

People can say what they want about surgery/pills being the "easy way out" but until you've walked in my shoes I don't need your opinion. It's not the easy way out. You can still drink a 1500 calorie milkshake with the band. You have to make better choices.
  • tinque
    tinque Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm thinking about a gastric bypass- so nice to see people ahead of me on that road...

Retired Norwegian tool- and die maker, certified Abby Nurmal, diabetes crashed my life in May and I'm gaining weight from the hysterical hunger at 4 a.m...
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm not a bariatric patient, but I am a nurse who has cared for bariatric patients. So I know it's not the easy way out. Feel free to add me for support.
  • RellaBelle
    RellaBelle Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hey! I had the sleeve done on March 29th. It's definitely not the easy way out. We have to watch what we eat, exercise and be committed just like anyone else. It's a tool, just like you said. I was an over eater and an emotional binger. The sleeve has made me deal with things in a different way. I can't inhale a bag of chips to "calm down" anymore, now I color or write in my planner or find something else to do to work through whatever it is that is bugging me. I'm one month out and I've lost 19 lbs since surgery, 27 lbs during my pre op for a total of 46 lbs. I'm enjoying my progress and how my body is changing. I took side by sides this morning and cannot believe the difference. I absolutely have a love/hate relationship with Veruca [my sleeve] but I wouldn't change my decision for anything.
  • HayleyAnne012911
    HayleyAnne012911 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm Hayley. I'm looking into the sleeve surgery myself. I have lost 115 pounds on my own, but i'm still not where I want to be. I have cut out soda and most starchy bad stuff. I have a consultation on 6/9/16. I'm excited to see where this journey leads me. For those who's insurance doesn't cover the surgery how did you go about paying for it? Loans, fundraisers, family or friends?
  • Kay_Fancy
    Kay_Fancy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree that what you're going through isn't easy, but you're pretty bold to come on here and say you're more dedicated than I am, or your struggle is more real than mine, because you have decided to pursue a medical solution to force your hand regarding the lifestyle changes you didn't make that led you to need the surgery in the first place.

I'm happy that you're recovering and that you're on here looking for support, but one of the worst ways to make friends is to do what you've done here. Just saying.
  • Sicnic5150
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    Your statement of "I assure you we ARE WE ARE NOW VERY COMITTED IF NOT MORE THAN YOU ARE." is insulting to those of us who have chosen a healthy lifestyle and have lost weight eating healthy and moving our bodies. I have seen way too many bariatric patients (some 2x, 3x, or more) gain the weight back. Some succeed - I wish you the best. But please don't think for a minute you are more committed to being healthy than I am or that others are.

It shouldn't be insulting as I meant no disrespect. I lead a healthy lifestyle before becoming disabled and had no issues really. What I meant by the commitment was that in our (bariatric patients) lives the things we can/can't eat, the supplements we HAVE to take daily for the rest of our lives, and being mindful is a huge learning and can never run on auto pilot like it might with someone such as yourself.

That's all I meant by it, I understand your level commitment and I respect that. For us however there is no room for cheating or skipping supplements or water etc, it's a matter of life or death; the difference between being healthy and malnutrition. Yes, I said malnutrition....being healthy now runs in the opposite direction for me, if I skip protein I lose lean muscle, if I skip supplements I risk vitamin deficiency, if eat too fast or too much I'll throw up or get the squirts, I have to time my fluid intake to when I eat correctly and so on. That's the exact level of commitment I'm speaking of aside from the fact that we had major surgery.

I don't think that a lot, won't say most or all of those who live a healthy lifestyle think about those things consciously on a daily basis. It's hard work for us, not the part about being healthy that is pretty easy, but everything that goes into living life to stay on the right side of healthy and not dead is much more difficult and requires a greater degree of commitment than someone who hasn't has surgery.

I hope that clears the air and that you accept my most sincere apology for any misunderstanding.

We both have the same goals. Thank you for your reply.
  • Sicnic5150
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Accidentally replied twice sorry
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, missed the drama the first time. I had RNY two years ago and the surgery was a life changer for sure. There is a VSG/RNY/Sleeve group on MFP but I can't link it by phone.

At this stage from your surgery in March you should be seeing some significant changes. Exhilarating isn't it?
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sicnic5150 wrote: »
    Hi, I just had the sleeve gastrectomy done on March 14th, and it isn't easy and it's definitely not cheating to reach your weight loss goals. It's a tool to get your head around proper nutrition and healthy lifestyle living, granted it does get you ahead of the curve toward reaching the finish line. It's a lifetime commitment to maintain this new way of living and it's HARD WORK WITH A 0 TO 100 LEARNING CURVE LITERALLY OVERNIGHT.

So I'm here to get support from own bariatric community as well as those who are living happy healthy lifestyles already or are just starting that journey. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THE GARBAGE OF NEGATIVITY I'VE BEEN READING ON SOME POSTS this is not a bandaid or a crutch, it's a super charged tool some of us had to reach for to move past our previous failure of living healthy. For those of you who aren't a fan of this tool I assure you we ARE WE ARE NOW VERY COMITTED IF NOT MORE THAN YOU ARE. Failure is not an option anymore and shaming anyone for any reason is just outright FOUL! END DISCLOSURE RANT LOL, BE HELPFUL NOT HURTFUL!

I truly am in love with this app and it's it's saving my life, I love the support being shared and making like minded buddies! We are collectively what makes us successful in whatever our journey and I look forward to being part of yours. :#B)

I had the vsg 9/28/2015 add me and yes it's hard I'm down 130# so far
  • Sicnic5150
    Options
    Kay_Fancy wrote: »
    I agree that what you're going through isn't easy, but you're pretty bold to come on here and say you're more dedicated than I am, or your struggle is more real than mine, because you have decided to pursue a medical solution to force your hand regarding the lifestyle changes you didn't make that led you to need the surgery in the first place.

I'm happy that you're recovering and that you're on here looking for support, but one of the worst ways to make friends is to do what you've done here. Just saying.

Your judgement and ones like it was exactly what I hoping to get to address. You don't know what got me to the point of seeking medical solution. About 15 yrs ago I weighed 275# and it took me a long time to lose it but got down to 145#, which was too thin for me but I finally got to a healthy weight of 165# up until about 5yrs ago. I didn't just decide one day screw it I'm going to eat a gallon of ice cream for 3 squares a day.

Due to a spine injury and a rare neurological issue that complicated that injury even more I no longer had the luxury of meaningful mobility. Holding a job, doing housework, going for a walk or exercising, and standing for longer than 5 mins was a thing of the past. So food prep, cooking sensible meals, grocery shopping was replaced with fast/cheap/unhealthy food out of necessity not choice. Add being bed ridden for 3-7 days at a time on top of that (every month) and you've got a recipe for disaster. With no way to burn those nasty calories I was consuming of course I got fat but surgery was the last resort I assure you.

I meant no disrespect to non-bariatric ppl and your level of commitment. Our level of commitment is the same as yours and I miss spoke. Why I was referring to it being greater is because the things we have to do to be healthy now that we have resorted to surgery. Food intake for us is far more different and slightly complicated than it is for you. The type of food, how much of it we can eat, portion control, macro/nutrients are all things we have to micro-scrutinze unlike ppl such as yourself. While you do pay attention to those things you don't have to do it on the level we do, if we don't we run the risk of malnutrition, loss of lean muscle, or stretching out our surgical reconstruction that cause double/triple weight gain. It verges on the lines of an eating disorder is the bottom line with how obsessed and mindful of it all we have to be lol. It's just insane, if you only knew.

I have no choice than to be more more committed than non-bariatric ppl, streaming food out of both ends isn't fun. Being dehydrated not fun. Eating one hard boiled egg and being too full to eat for 1.5 days, nope not so fun either cuz following that regular occurrence is passing out in the shower or standing up. Being to weak to do anything else as things spiral out of control leading to death isnt what I call a good time either and that's why my commitment is greater than others nor because I'm more special or life is harder because I'm disabled...those things aren't a big deal. I just have to micro manage my life in all ways that you would never understand but should be grateful that you don't ever have to.

I admire those who eat and live clean, you're my kind of ppl. I just would hate to miss out on connections with others because I judged them unfairly. I've read do many comment replies to ppl who said they had surgery and the comments were nasty, mean and ignorant. That's why I said the things I said and because I know what it means to be healthy, fat, fat and injured and now a bariatric patient I Def have strong convictions and feel they are justified. I mean I'm able to effectively compare being healthy, being fat and losing on my own and now surgery...so based on my experience I'm kind of entitled to be bold with my statements. I just wished I hadn't offended anyone in doing so.

Would have been nice to be asked why I was so bold rather than criticised, but I kinda brought that on myself I guess. Lol oh well...ya win some and lose some.

Thank you for your reply. Please accept my apology for any misunderstanding or disrespect you may have felt by my bold statement.
  • Sicnic5150
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hi, missed the drama the first time. I had RNY two years ago and the surgery was a life changer for sure. There is a VSG/RNY/Sleeve group on MFP but I can't link it by phone.

At this stage from your surgery in March you should be seeing some significant changes. Exhilarating isn't it?

Sure is, I've lost 42# so far, it is a great feeling but at the same time the shock to my body diminishes that great feeling at times. I didn't do it to get skinny or force myself to eat well, I did it to ease my pain from my injuries but that system shock I mentioned has made my pain worse. Either way I smile everyday because I konow as long as I have hope I'll always be happy.

Thanks for your kind words. B)

And I just found the group, didn't know there was one. I was new when using the app and navigating to find stuff. Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction.
  • knjitters
    knjitters Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I was sleeved on 9/2. Its for sure always a fight.. I am learning everyday its all me and not my sleeve. My sleeve helps me dont get me wrong but I have never had any issues with food and I am starting to be able to eat larger portions. Need to reevaluate why I started this journey and always be mindful of my choices!
  • lssb3314
    lssb3314 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I had bypass 8 years ago lost about 130 lbs kept the weight off but just recently gained back about 70 pounds I just recently had the lap band put on just about 2 weeks ago and already seeing results it's a long road but the ending is very worth it :) Good luck positive vibes your way !!!!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Sicnic5150 wrote: »

I am all for any way you can accomplish your goals. It is not easy for anyone to lose and maintain weight loss, no matter what route you take to get there. Most of us have real lessons to learn, and teach ourselves about how to become, and stay at a healthy weight. The reason I did it without any type or surgery is because I am too cheap. So I found MFP, in March of 2012. Proceeded to lose and learn along the way, and succeeded in losing over 160 pounds and have kept it off for over 2-1/2 years now.
    Every...............single...............day..............is a challenge. It is hard, but well worth the effort.
    So, go for it, any way you can.