how to set calories when pregnant

Options
amarz298
amarz298 Posts: 36 Member
So, I am about to enter my second trimester of pregnancy. I thought I could keep up on eating well and not need to track calories, but it has been extremely hard and I need to track what I'm eating. Is there a way to set my fitness pal calorie goals up for being pregnant or set your own calorie goal?

Replies

• ladyraiah
    ladyraiah Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you just want a target number, you should stick with maintenance or slightly over. Don't go into a deficit without supervision from your doctor. Do eat when you are hungry, but do your best to stick with the fruits, veggies, and lean proteins over the junk, but don't be afraid to give into those pregnancy cravings once in a while. I'm pretty sure my kid was built from mini corndogs and pumpkin pie.
  • jenring3
    jenring3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. But I would do as ladyraiah said - focus on quality food and listen to hunger signals (which may certainly be elevated because you are, after all, growing a human), and don't overdo just because you're pregnant. Be mindful of what you're eating, choose whole foods primarily with an occasional indulgence and you should be fine.
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am 23 weeks pregnant, and if I didn't track my calories, I would probably weigh a lot more than I do now. I have gained 11 pounds so far, which my doctor is happy with. And so am I.

What I am doing is wearing my fit bit surge and using that to get my TDEE daily. I always try to eat no more than that number. I also still exercise, cardio four days a week and strength training four days a week.

Continuing with exercising throughout this pregnancy is really helping my brain and how I perceive my body.
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't. When your pregnant it's good to gain weight. If your really concerned you'll gain to much wait which I would say 35lbs and up if that then go for little walks. Don't try to restrict calories while pregnant it's not healthy!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The average calorie need for second trimester would be maintenance + 350, for third trimester maintenance +500. This is just an average and you should probably talk to you doctor before doing any calorie restriction as they may adjust it up or down based on your individual health situation. I recommend focusing more on getting the necessary food groups and nutrients, particularly things the baby hijacks at the expense of leaving the mother malnourished (iron, calcium, omegas, etc.) There are lots of people who lose weight during pregnancy and improve their health, but definitely something you want to coordinate with your ob/gyn.