Kettlebell & Rope Workouts.... who here does them?

Options
I've been doing 2 -3 kettlebell workouts per week, using a couple DVDs from the Art of Strength website (http://www.artofstrength.com/). If you haven't done them, check them out. Each video is 15 2-minute rounds with 1-min break between (it goes sooooo fast).

For those of you using kettlebells, how many times per week are you using them, and what kind of workouts are you doing?

Also, anyone doing ropes? (Ropes gone wild) I use a 1.25 rope for tabata jump rope drills, but need to get a 50' 1.5" rope again.

Replies

• mohawk32
    mohawk32 Posts: 3
    Options
    My gym has a whole crossfit set up with ropes, kettlebells and a suspension trainer, but it's only for crossfit students. I'd love to do a KB and rope based workout, but I'm not paying the extra couple hundred for crossfit every month. So, no, I guess I don't and I've contributed little to this thread. :bigsmile:
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    lol... thanks. I don't live near a Crossfit gym, so ended up buying a lot of the gear myself. Unfortunately, some of the gear has to be used outside (ropes, tractor tires, sledgehammers, etc.) and it's 114 outside right now..... not much motivation to use that gear. I can use my TRX, kettlebells, and jump rope inside though.
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use kb's every now and then, but they're not a staple in my routine. I use them soley for cardio/conditioning work, usually at the end of a barbell complex I'll do push presses and swings with the 80lb kb, or horn squats with one. I did find that the 40lb kb is fun for throwing while training for the highland games, so long as it's on soft dirt, ha. I've used ropes a few times but felt like I was wasting my time, jump rope is ok, but we did waves and was boring as hell, all it did was tire me out even more so after my ME bench day. But, I'm a strongman competitor and power lifter, conditioning to me is walking from the squat rack to the water fountain.
  • davidsadler86
    Options
    I use a couple of 12kg cast iron KBs and I love them! Great for cardio and muscle conditioning, loads of exercises like swings, lunges, cleans and snatches, and renegade rows are my favourite. They are really versatile and come in loads of different weights, every home should have one. Im not a kettle bell salesman, promise lol. I'd definitely advise the cast iron ones rather than vinyl as vinyl are too bulky for me, I prefer the more compact iron ones
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I've got a 16kg KB for lighter stuff (one arm swings etc), an adjustable 8-32kg one (that has always been at 32kg) for two arm swings & cleans and a 64kg one just for deadlifts.

Injured at the moment so I'm limited but can't wait to be able to do a High intensity KB workout again.

The lighter ones are also really good for various stretches and mobility work. Heaps of good vids at this site.
    http://www.kettlebell-athletics.com/2010/12/08/kettlebell-flow-for-bjj-bjj-specific-kettlebell-workout/
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I also crossfit and do KBS (Rx is usually 16kg -24kg for women). Today doing turkish get ups I opted for a 22 lb O-bar.

As far as skipping we use speed ropes. Today was 150 double unders. I love skipping and getting a great metcon WOD out of it.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I use KettleWorx. Love it! Started w/ a 5 lb and worked my way up to 10 (which has been kicking my butt!) Great workout without a lot of equipment and not a huge time committment.