Elbow Pain During Pushups

Options
Hey folks! I just started week three of the 100 pushup challenge (maxed out at 21!) and I'm noticing a serious increase in elbow pain. It doesn't feel like my muscles hurt--I've gotten used to the post-pushup ache!-- it absolutely feels like my joints are screaming! Does anyone else have this problem? Any tips? Does icing afterward help? I already take a glucosamine supplement because bad joints run in my family and I don't want to give up on the challenge, but this sucks!

Replies

• defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a snapping/minor pain that happens in my elbow but nothing as severe as what you're talking about. Do you have health insurance? It might be worth talking to your doctor.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    mine does that sometime if i have it at a different angle. i normally stretch my elbows out or roll them (like you would your shoulders) and they pop and feel better
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    I would think ice would be worth a shot, and maybe an anti-inflammatory. Take a couple days off, and if it still hurts maybe call the ole' doc or a chiropracter.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Where are you placing your hands relative to your body, and in what direction are your fingers pointed?

Ideally, your hands should be directly below your shoulders with your fingers parallel to your body. If you move your hands outward from your shoulders then your fingers should also angle way from your body. The opposite is true if you move your hands inward (fingers should angle in).

Note: Moving your hands inward and outward will work different muscle groups.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would stop and talk to a doctor. I'm dealing with a shoulder injury that could have been minor but I continued to excercise through it and made it WAY worse - it's taking FOREVER to heal. You may just need to adjust your posture or any number of things - but I highly suggest not pushing through it.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I decided to do Plank pose instead of push-ups though. I guess it depends on how serious you are about the push-ups. I would try iceing them after and even try icy/hot rub on them.....but basically it doesn't really go away. At least that is my experience. :ohwell:
  • RiverInTheRoad
    Options
    I think I might have the same thing? It only happens in my right elbow though, and it also only happens when I make a fist and try to work out (kickboxing, close fisted push ups, etc). I have no idea what's causing it! O_o
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It could be some tricep tendonitis as there is a lot of torque put on the muscle and tendon during a pushup. Try ice and a couple days off without pushups. See if that helps. If you give it a week or two and doesn't seem to get any better, try getting a hold of your primary care physician or an orthopedic surgeon. They'll either give you stronger anti-inflammatories, or give you an MRI to see what is going on in the elbow area.
  • animamelodic
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas, guys! I think it's a combination of a lot of what you've all mentioned. I'm only doing pushups 3 days a week right now, so I don't think it's that they need rest. The pain seems most acute while I'm doing the pushups and fades away within about 20 minutes, so my guess is it's primarily about bad form. Time to remind myself: Quality over quantity!
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Definitely make sure that you warm up well before you get started. Also, try doing them on your knees, not going as low, using push-up stands, and definitely stop when it hurts!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Get some rest, and stop doing so many... for now. Your muscle strength increases at a greater rate than conective tissue. It's quite possible the 100 push up challenge is too much, too soon.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Get some rest, and stop doing so many... for now. Your muscle strength increases at a greater rate than conective tissue. It's quite possible the 100 push up challenge is too much, too soon.

Exactly how my injury occured... Therapy is working on strengthening all that stuff to catch up with everything else. It takes a whole lot longer to fix the damage I did than it would have to do it right the first time!! I learned my lesson!