How to prevent knee pain from running

Options
ydyms
ydyms Posts: 266 Member
I posted this before but I can't find the post.
After a two year break, I'd like to get back into running. How can I prevent knee pain?

Replies

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i recommend the couch-2-5k (c25k) program. You can find free apps to guide you through it.

When i first started c25k, i thought the big challenge was my cardio; i quickly came to understand that just as important as building my cardio was conditioning my legs and joints to carry me while jogging.

C25k let me gradually build up to running, with rest days between each work out to let my feet, ankles, legs, knees, and hips recover and get ready for the next run.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I recently asked my doctor about just this thing because my left knee has become a huge nuisance. He has me doing a lot of hip, quad, and core strengthening exercises (Leg lifts, side planks, prone planks, hip shifts, butt bridge with one leg lifted, and quadriceps stuff). I've been doing them for about 5 weeks now. When everything else is strong, your knees will be supported better and alignment will be good. I have been doing a lot of walking but decided to try out running this past week. I can tell already that I am able to run a lot easier. And so far, the knee is holding. Good luck to you!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I wear knee sleeves. I also lost some weight which helped tons.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Run slow, run short distances, and only every other day to start. Gradually build that up as your knee allows.

• mappeal67
    mappeal67 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Pilates! Try to fit a couple of classes per week at the beginning. Or get a Pilates DVD. The 'Pilates for Dummies' is good.
    Get your core strength & posture right.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    1. An appropriate training program like C25K that allows you to build up mileage slowly and incorporates rest days. Trying to do too much too fast is a recipe for injury and inexperienced runners are often impatient and push themselves harder than is optimal. Just because you CAN (or think you can) doesn't necessarily mean you should.
    2. Strength training may help stabilize your joints and keep you injury-free. This goes hand-in-hand with the above suggestion as a gradual increase in mileage will also help you strengthen the muscles used when running.
    3. Good shoes - the kind that offer you appropriate support for your gait and physiology.
    4. Don't always run on concrete if you're having issues. Grass, trails, even tracks might work better for you.
    5. Consider stopping by a local running club to see if they can identify issues with your form that might be affecting your knees (such as striking too hard on your heels.)
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Strength training and not increasing your mileage or intensity too quickly. Most knee pain from running is cause by doing too much too soon or muscle imbalances.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »
    I posted this before but I can't find the post.
    After a two year break, I'd like to get back into running. How can I prevent knee pain?

Well have you experienced knee pain yet? Not sure I'd be worried about any pain until I started running. You might be fine.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »

I'd take it that you'd experienced knee pain in the past?

Unfortunately knee pain could encompass a pretty wide range of different issues and without knowing more there is no really credible advice to give, other than the general points upthread.

If you do find yourself experiencing knee pain then a medical appointment or physio would be your best bet.

• tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid running on concrete as much as you can, asphalt or even on the grass will be much better for your joints. I know you can't completely avoid running on concrete, especially if you run in the city like I do, but try to find routes where it's safe to run on the side of the street, or go to a park.
    After every run, I also do some yoga that focus more on my legs. Stretching is incredibly important if you want to stay injury free.
    Strength training will also be very helpful. Deadlifts, squats, lunges, leg press etc... will all help with knee strengthening.

The most important advice that has been given to you so far though, is to take it slow and work your way up.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I got some great suggestions here! I will try the C25k since that's a slow and steady plan. And strength train. In the past I suffered if I ran too much :(
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've sprained my knee several times. Start slow and work your way up. When I run, I use KT tape and a knee brace. I've worked my way up to running 3-4 miles without stopping to walk now.
    The Galloway Meathod works really well. I use run/walk meathod. By doing this I've completed numerous 5 and 10k's, 10 half marathons, and one full marathon.