2 A Day Workout Sessions and Calories

Options
dxlee7
dxlee7 Posts: 23 Member
Hi. My name is Dex. Been working out for quite some time. Started with 5x5 Strong Lifts and now doing the PHUL workout with some modifications. I had to take a month off due to a knee injury but I'm back in the gym.

Below are my stats.

6ft tall
244 lbs
In my early 30s

During the month to recover, I didn't exercise at all. Only walked for 30 minutes a day except for the first week because of the pain. I gained 10 lbs and went from a healthy 240 to a fat 250. I lost about 20% of my strength and I'm still currently rebuilding strength while trying to lose weight.

I jumped onto myfitnesspal the last week of April and I'm loving it. I lowered my calorie intake to 2,000 per day when myfitnesspal gave me 2,360. My goal is to lose 2lbs per week. I lowered my calorie intake to lose more weight.

I'd like to ask for opinions and advice on my workouts and diet. My main concern are my calories and my caloric deficit at the end of the day. However, I would also like input on my workout.

Here it goes:

I'm doing a modified version of the PHUL workout. Doing 5x5 stronglifts, I gained a large amount of strength over 4 months. The PHUL workout is outlined below:

Day 1 - Upper Heavy

Barbell Bench Press 3-4 3-5
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 3-4 6-10
Bent Over Row 3-4 3-5
Lat Pull Down 3-4 6-10
Overhead Press 2-3 5-8
Barbell Curl 2-3 6-10
Skullcrusher 2-3 6-10

Day 2 - Lower Heavy

Squat 3-4 3-5
Deadlift 3-4 3-5
Leg Press 3-5 10-15
Leg Curl 3-4 6-10
Calf Exercise 4 6-10

Day 4 - Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Barbell Bench Press 3-4 8-12
Flat Bench Dumbbell Flye 3-4 8-12
Seated Cable Row 3-4 8-12
One Arm Dumbbell Row 3-4 8-12
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3-4 8-12
Seated Incline Dumbbell Curl 3-4 8-12
Cable Tricep Extension 3-4 8-12

Day 5 - Lower Hypertrophy

Front Squat 3-4 8-12
Barbell Lunge 3-4 8-12
Leg Extension 3-4 10-15
Leg Curl 3-4 10-15
Seated Calf Raise 3-4 8-12
Calf Press 3-4 8-12

I also do cardio after every first workout session of the day which may involve either running or practicing MMA (sparring, practicing technique).

I do the PHUL workout in the mornings around 9am. My work shift doesn't start until 1pm.

Around 530pm, I have a two hour lunch/dinner break and use that time to go to the gym and workout some more. Often, I'll work the same muscle group on that day, however, I go lighter weights on heavy days and heavier weights on hypertrophy days doing different types of exercises.

I'm using three heart rate monitor devices, one is a strap across the chest, my fitbit hr and the sensor on my phone.

According to those heart monitors and using the under armor record app, I'm burning a total of at least 1,000 calories per day with usually subtractive adjustments via the fitbit hr. I also work a job that involves climbing often a total of 10 to 12 flights of stairs a day and walking/jogging often.

I'm trying to eat at least 2,000 calories a day, however, because of my exercising, I'm left with usually at least 2,100 calories at the end of the day by the time I get home.

I eat six to eight times a day. I've cut out carbs, eating healthy as possible, sworn off all sweets and refusing to step near the cafeteria at work.

I've lost 4 lbs in a week and a half so far and I'm hoping to get down to 230.

Opinions, critiques and all others would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Cliffs?
  • dxlee7
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Cliffs?

Cliffs?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    He's asking for a short summary of your situation, and a discrete question to answer.

"Cliffs" means CliffNotes
  • moralesj395
    moralesj395 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dex: I'm 52 year old "grampa"becareful with the intake calories,if you burn you need more calorie for you heigh.
    I loss 30 pounds since nov 27.
    i just eat healthy,and the days i go to the gym ,I eat a Least and hour later my regular hicpanic food in portion.
    Keep going
  • dxlee7
    Options
    Cliffs?

At the end of the day, because of exercise, my deficit is more than 2,000 calories. What can I do to get my deficit in a healthy range?
  • dxlee7
    Options
    Dex: I'm 52 year old "grampa"becareful with the intake calories,if you burn you need more calorie for you heigh.
    I loss 30 pounds since nov 27.
    i just eat healthy,and the days i go to the gym ,I eat a Least and hour later my regular hicpanic food in portion.
    Keep going

I've been trying. But how do I make up 2,000 more calories in food that I've burned from exercise in addition to the calories that I need to eat?
  • dxlee7
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    He's asking for a short summary of your situation, and a discrete question to answer.

"Cliffs" means CliffNotes

Gotcha. Thank a for the clarification. I appreciate it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    dxlee7 wrote: »
    Cliffs?

At the end of the day, because of exercise, my deficit is more than 2,000 calories. What can I do to get my deficit in a healthy range?

eat more? exercise less? some combo of both?

if you're not weighing all of your food, then you're probably eating more than you think. and you're probably not burning as much as you think during exercise. that combination makes it so your deficit isn't a great as you may believe. so you may not have as much to make up as you think.

i don't understand the part where you have a HYOOGE deficit, have cut out carbs and sworn off sweets, and then are not sure how you can get some extra calories in. if i have a 2k deficit, damn sure i'm gonna be eating some carbs and sweets and whatever the hell else i might want.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    So, you've been doing this new eating plan and 2-a-day workout program for a week and a half? Or am I mistaken? If so, is this sustainable? I mean, if you recently were derailed for a month due to a knee injury I'd personally be much more careful so as to not aggravate it or cause another injury.

Do you weigh and measure your food? Because if you gained 10 lbs during your month off than it implies that you are reliant on a lot of working out to lose or even maintain your weight. I'd focus more on your diet and not be so reliant on a large volume of activity because what if you get injured again? Or just burn out?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    So you lowered the calories that MFP gave you for weight loss in order to lose weight faster, and now you are concerned that you will lose too fast...?

Options: Go back to what they told you. Eat some of your exercise back. Don't exercise so much?

I don't see any reason for the average person who is looking to lose weight to have two lifting workouts per day, in addition to cardio. If you enjoy doing two a days, maybe separate your lifting and cardio into different sessions.
    Also, nothing wrong with carbs. I would eat carbs.
  • dxlee7
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely take everything that everyone has said into account.

I started measuring my food when I first started MFP.
    I'm working my way back and have gained back most of my strength.
    I like doing 2 a days and see the most benefit from it.

DavPul is probably right and maybe I'm over estimating the amount of calories that the app and devices say I've burned.

BZAH10, my knee is good at this point. My squat is back at 315 for 5x5. I feel almost back to normal. But I'll exercise caution. I'm also starting to eat healthier than before.

TresAswegan, I'm cutting. That's why I'm not eating carbs. I'm trying to eat healthy foods that are high in protein that contain the amount of carbs needed according to macros.

Honestly, it's all still a progression for me. Trying to find by trial and error what works.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I would switch up the Back and Chest do them on separate days. 2lbs a week your going to lose a lot of muscle in the process its just to much and your not that over weight.. with the walking and weights I would eat 2800 a day and count on cardio and weights to burn a legit 750 max,,
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    dxlee7 wrote: »

Around 530pm, I have a two hour lunch/dinner break and use that time to go to the gym and workout some more. Often, I'll work the same muscle group on that day, however, I go lighter weights on heavy days and heavier weights on hypertrophy days doing different types of exercises.

Thank you!

i would eliminate that "second" daily workout. Your program looks fine to me, but why are you doing two workouts a day. if you need to be back at the gym because you love being at the gym , just do some yoga or mobility, or hanging out and socalizing, at at the very most just some accessory lifts but i wouldn't go heavy on any of those second workouts. Your heavy workouts are already built into your program, leave them where they are. Lifting 8 times a week is too taxing on your body. If you give your primary workout your all, you dont need that second lifting.

also if you are working towards going from 244 to 230, take it slow dont cut too much or you will lose muscle. Its hard to tell what your goals are, but thats important in deciding what to do.

thats my input.
  • dxlee7
    Options
    @SonyaCele. I want to slim down but continue building muscle. I went for my PR today on the bench, squat and deadlift. I hit 340 on the bench, 375 on the squat and 405 on my deadlift.

I'm going to up my calorie count back to 2360 as suggested by MFP and others here. I don't want to lose any muscle mass, just this belly and get to a good weight where I can just do maintenance and bulk/cut depending on my goals.

Main goal right now is to maintain strength while on a cut.

Maybe I'm doing too hard of a cut?