Caffeine and heart rate

Options
hnahae
hnahae Posts: 38 Member
Obviously I know this is a question I should ask my physician but I am just asking on here first. Normal resting heart rate is typically 60-65 after some caffeine my resting heart rate jumps to 115-125. Haven't checked for how long as it's usually when I drink a coffee or other source of 100mg caffeine to get me going for a workout I don't feel amped for. Is it normal for caffeine to make you feel like your heart is pounding loud enough for bystanders to hear (exaggerate). I don't drink caffeine on a daily basis and I only recently noticed this.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Not normal, nope. My fiance gave up caffeine decades ago due to similar symptoms.
  • 1229swansong
    1229swansong Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have cut out all caffeine from my diet because it raised my heart rate and gave me palpitations. I never had an excessive amount of caffeine so I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms, but I feel better without it.
  • hnahae
    hnahae Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not anxiety and getting HR from my fitbit and double checked manually. Maybe I should cut my caffeine in half when I have it or just cut it out all together.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    How much caffeine do you take in daily? If you don't have it often, that sudden surge could be what's causing the increased heart rate. It's best to cut it out completely, although those headaches during withdrawl don't make it easy to give it up.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a stimulant isn't it? Many athletes (me included cause I'm totally a tip top athlete) use caffeine as a pre workout. It makes sense that it does this
  • adremark
    adremark Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Generally HR will decrease after consumption of caffeine, as caffeine is a stimulant, causing vasoconstriction (leading to an increase in blood pressure) and therefore a decrease in HR. But, according to studies done at the National Institutes of Health, the result on HR is variable and truly depends on the person. So, it is possible that you react that way.