Pcos diet ?

Options
I just have been diagnosed with it. I need to loose weight very fast to get my symptoms to go away :) any help please ? Give me a meal plan.

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Get the book "The PCOS Diet" by Hillary Wright. Great stuff.

I have PCOS, too. The biggest thing is that you need to cut sugar. What you want, in essence, is to keep your blood sugar level throughout the day (Wright discusses all this in her book--best of explanation of insulin resistance I've seen). Insulin acts like a key, knocking on cell doors to get them to open up to allow the sugars from your blood into the cells to be used for energy. For most people, the cell doors open right up. Diabetics don't produce enough insulin to get the cells to answer the door. For women with PCOS, we produce enough insulin, but our cells won't get up off their lazy butts and answer the door, so the pancreas dumps out extra insulin. This can lead to diabetes eventually because it wears out the pancreas. This is why drugs like Metformin work for women with PCOS; they help increase the cells' sensitivity to the insulin. The excess insulin causes all kinds of other hormones to get out-of-whack.

What I've been doing is changing my carbs to whole grain. Multi-grain bread, whole wheat or veggie pasta (Garden Delight is great). I skip sugar (my go-to treat at night is Breyers' sugar-free salted caramel swirl ice cream--YUMMY!). Eat lots of veggies, but be careful--some veggies are so starchy that they count as a carb (peas and corn come to mind). When I'm eating out and there are multiple carbs, I just choose to eat one of them and make it a small portion.

As to exercise, anything that gets you moving is good, but strength training has particular benefits for women with PCOS. I started BodyPump and love it.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. I know what you're going through!
  • WorldTravellerGirl
    WorldTravellerGirl Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Pcos has been very difficult for me. My best results came from doing the whole30. Nowvi i am doing paleo with no wheat. I also cut alcohol and caffeine. It really stinks.. No sugar, no caffeine no alcohol and no wheat... But its better than being bald!
  • florinazamfir39
    florinazamfir39 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you ♡
  • laurazelinski0508
    laurazelinski0508 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have it too! I feel like it takes an act of God for our bodies to get the message that we are more active and eating less, but when it finally gets into wt loss mode, keeping the momentum is key. Hang in there and don't give up! :)
  • theWODdoll
    theWODdoll Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and so does Biggest Loser's trainer Jillian Michaels and look how fit she is! Clean organic whole foods and exercise is the way to go. The less body fat % you have the better your symptoms will be. Look up Zone "diet" for balancing your macros to maintain the insulin resistance